HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2001, 08:44 PM
Curitiba , Brazil
Joined Oct 2001
81 Posts
Indoor airplane

I 'm looking for a electric indoor airplane for rainy days and not very much expensive....(to fly in a covered basketbol court?)
Does anybody have any sugestions?
Thank you.
CodFish is offline Find More Posts by CodFish
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2001, 08:54 PM
Aptos, CA, USA
Joined Apr 2001
276 Posts
I would highly recommend the IFO Trainer. See

http://www.wildrc.com

It's easy to build and fly, very good for indoors and light winds, and lots of fun. It's also very rugged in case you run into something. I love mine!

Allen
aginzu is offline Find More Posts by aginzu
Old Nov 19, 2001, 11:51 AM
Curitiba , Brazil
Joined Oct 2001
81 Posts
I was thinking in something more cheap., like picostick from GWS or minimax from wattage....
Does anybody know if they fly indoors?
Old Nov 19, 2001, 12:03 PM
urs
switzerland
Joined Dec 2000
708 Posts
indoor plane

Hi, the above mentioned planes can be flown indoors, but the ? you must pose yourself is how good a pilot are you,do you want to do lazy circles nice and relaxed or do you want to pump a bit of adrenalin????
your choice will depened on the answers to the above. For relaxed flying the bleriot types the light stick set up corectly are very good...for a bit more oommpppfff an I:F:O ect is more apropriate.
urs(switzerland)
urs is offline Find More Posts by urs
Old Nov 19, 2001, 05:17 PM
Curitiba , Brazil
Joined Oct 2001
81 Posts
hehehe, that's me , the lazy circles ... and ifo costs a lot more(80,00)...
I've already own a hitec 555 receiver and 2 hs-55 servos, I need a model that I can use it...
Old Nov 20, 2001, 07:38 PM
Aptos, CA, USA
Joined Apr 2001
276 Posts
The T-IFO kit is actually $50. $80 includes the motor, gearbox, prop, and speed control. It's probably not the cheapest out there, but pretty close. When you look at the total cost, including servos and receiver, the small price difference in the kit isn't that significant, especially if it's tough and lasts a long time. Carbon rods are just more expensive than foam.

I am amazed at how well it flies. I just flew it (outdoors in zero wind). Got over 30 minute flight time with 830mah Lithium Ion battery pack (11 minutes on 300mah NiMH). It's mildly aerobatic (does loops) and has terrific slow flight characteristics, which is ideal for indoor flight. It's also nearly indestructable, being made of carbon fiber rods. The only way you would have to replace this plane would be if you got it lost in a high tree. Even then, given it's light weight and large wing area, I suspect it would get blown down as soon as any breeze came up.

When you get tired of lazy circles, you can modify the linkage and dihederal to turn it into something similar to a super aerobatic IFO MK3. Take a look at the videos on the Wildrc web site to see what the MK3 can do.

It may not look like a traditional airplane, but who cares when it's so much fun and flies so well!

Allen
Old Nov 20, 2001, 10:04 PM
New York, NY
Joined Dec 2000
1,297 Posts
I second the recommendation for the IFO (whichever variant). Although it was designed for acrobatic fun, you *can* fly it like a gentle flyer. I have people gasping in awe as my scratch-built 27" IFO transitions back and forth between high-speed, tight-turning acrobatic flight and slow, lazy floating, all within the confines of a basketball court.

Best of all, it is a very tough design. People cringe and shake their heads whenever I make one of those "one-point" landings on solid concrete, only to be surprised when they see me pick it up and fly again as if nothing happened.

Jun Nolasco
nolasco is offline Find More Posts by nolasco
Old Nov 25, 2001, 05:47 PM
Profile Infraction
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by aginzu
and dihederal
The 'T-IFO' has dihederal ??.
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Old Nov 25, 2001, 06:38 PM
Aptos, CA, USA
Joined Apr 2001
276 Posts
The T-IFO has about 2" of dihederal via a kevelar thread that runs between the wingtips.
Old Nov 26, 2001, 12:34 AM
NaTaLiEs aLL mInE
Springfield, Queensland, Australia
Joined Aug 2001
170 Posts
go buy the gws pico cub fd. its worth every penny you pay for it. its also very easy to learn to fly.
phreak is offline Find More Posts by phreak
Old Nov 29, 2001, 06:26 AM
Curitiba , Brazil
Joined Oct 2001
81 Posts
Hey, I ve already own a Hawk from Silent Technologies (Anyone heard about???) that uses a speed 400 direct drive, a 30 amps ESC , a hitec 555 receiver and 2 hs-55 servos and a 8 cell 800mha pack.
I really get frustrated in the rainy weekends.
My intent is to use at least the receiver and the servos since the motor and ESc are too powerfull for indoor planes.
I'm really thinking of buying a tiger moth, minimax or a picostik.
Does anybody knows if I can use something of my 1th plane on them???
I know that I will need to buy at least motor, esc, and bat packs for this "indoor plane".
Old Nov 29, 2001, 06:49 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
The MiniMax is probably too big & fast for indoors. Mine likes to glide in fairly big areas, like a baseball diamond. The Pico/LiteStik will handle 1/2 -1/3 the area, *if* you add more dihedral than stock. By cutting the wings and fuse down as mentioned in several threads, it will get more nimble, but have tofly faster, since you are not saving any appreciable weight. The best suggestion I've seen is the polyhedral 'hack' for getting more rudder response. Have to try it someday...

I'd go with the LiteStik, since it comes with the motor and can be used on something else later. Search the mods all over the Parkflyers section, and go for it!

Of course if you get bored and want something with more spunk and a little psyco, build an And_Now using the LiteStik gear when you are ready to retire it...
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Nov 30, 2001, 10:17 AM
Deep Sea
OFallon, MO
Joined Jul 2001
609 Posts
The Litestik, Tiger Moth, or a Duskstik from Doug at www.mountainmodels.com all make great indoor flyers. Below is a picture from earlier this week of our group that meets on Tuesday mornings to fly at an indoor soccer field. My Moth is back right next to my green Duskstik
Navy Diver is offline Find More Posts by Navy Diver