SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:00 PM
Joined Oct 2012
43 Posts
Discussion
do u use rudder?

Ever since i started 4 channel planes i pretty much fly with ailerons with no rudder input. I know rudder is used for crosswinds during landings/takeoff and for making bettr turns. Do i run a higher risk of turn stalling or crashing from using only ailerons?
pizatio is offline Find More Posts by pizatio
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:03 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
The only planes I don't use rudder control on are the ones that don't have rudders
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:17 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,333 Posts
I use rudder constantly.
If you have it, use it.
It's a 1/3 of your attitude control.
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Last edited by 1320fastback; Nov 24, 2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:21 PM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Sep 2012
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizatio View Post
Ever since i started 4 channel planes i pretty much fly with ailerons with no rudder input. I know rudder is used for crosswinds during landings/takeoff and for making bettr turns. Do i run a higher risk of turn stalling or crashing from using only ailerons?
Nothing wrong with bank and yank. But for advanced maneuvers you'll need to learn rudder. Things like coordinated flight, stall turns, side slip landing, forward slip, crabbing all depend on rudder.

Also if you want to do scale flying then you'll need to use more rudder to make the model look like the real thing.
btown2 is offline Find More Posts by btown2
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:25 PM
Joined Oct 2012
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by btown2 View Post
Nothing wrong with bank and yank. But for advanced maneuvers you'll need to learn rudder. Things like coordinated flight, stall turns, side slip landing, forward slip, crabbing all depend on rudder.

Also if you want to do scale flying then you'll need to use more rudder to make the model look like the real thing.
my problem with using it now is im not use to having it on my left with the throttle. usually when i go to use it i mess up the throttle level or the other way around.
pizatio is offline Find More Posts by pizatio
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:33 PM
Aliphatic resin applicator
Joined Oct 2012
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizatio View Post
Get yourself a big Piper Cub, ME-109, or P-51 warbird, and try taking off without rudder. Makes for an interesting video. You probably won't get off the ground.

Ever try a Knife Edge?

Must be still in trainers?
329 is offline Find More Posts by 329
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:54 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,582 Posts
I've had over 300 planes and don't use the rudder much if it's there.
I like screw around parkflying in smaller areas.
So I build my planes as light as possible, but still with around 1 to 1 thrust or more.
I just add some aileron differential and don't bother making the rudder work.
I've had dozens of speed 400 planes and pylon planes, none of them even came with rudders.
Like they say, Yank and bank!
Most of my planes are grass landers.
But if you want more precise flying, perfect landings and or 3D flying, then rudder is a must.
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:57 PM
Smasher of foam
United States, OH, Stow
Joined Sep 2012
231 Posts
I have a parkzone polecat with a broken rudder servo. I've been flying it without a rudder for two months. But now I'm working on slightly more advanced flying and I really wish I had a rudder for harriers and landings. The rest of the time I don't care. On that plane, the little rudder was mostly useless anyway.
FunkeyMonk is offline Find More Posts by FunkeyMonk
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:00 PM
Joined Nov 2008
476 Posts
There has to be a reason that real plane has rudder.

Edmond
Edmond Y is offline Find More Posts by Edmond Y
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:10 PM
rrg
USA, KY, Edgewood
Joined Dec 2007
1,263 Posts
Nope........
rrg is offline Find More Posts by rrg
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:15 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,700 Posts
Yeah, real planes have rudders because uncoordinated turns will make the occupants of the plane nauseous.

RC planes on the other hand are supposed to be fun. If you don't enjoy obsessing about coordinated turns, then don't bother with the rudder. I sure don't.
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:23 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,428 Posts
just starting to play around with it. i also find i move throttle by accident as well. i mostly bank and yank my t28 but would like to educate myself on the proper use for it. i know it would help me with my crosswind landing for sure.
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:27 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk1 View Post
RC planes on the other hand are supposed to be fun. If you don't enjoy obsessing about coordinated turns, then don't bother with the rudder. I sure don't.
Rudder is there for a whole lot more than co-ordinated turns Try taking off a tail-dragger without rudder. What about flying knife edge, hammer-heads, four point rolls, slow rolls, not to mention 3D flying. Even pulling nice straight vertical uplines is pretty much impossible without a rudder.

Sure if you are happy hand launching, flying round in circuits and doing a few loops and fast sloppy rolls, then fine, no rudder required.. But that might get boring.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:38 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,700 Posts
I was answering in the context of the OP's original expressed concerns about "better turns" and "higher risk of turn stalling or crashing"...not blanket-negating the obvious regarding any and all rudder-maneuvers that people (including myself) might want to do. It's a toy. Have fun. That's all.
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:43 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
USA, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2010
1,084 Posts
If you have a rudder, use it. If you aren't going to use it, why bother to put it on. I use rudder as much as I do ailerons. Make a turn going down wind, and the ailerons aren't doing the job, just throw some rudder in there and watch what happens. After a while it gets to the point that rudder will be automatic in all of your maneuvers. Make the most of your flying, and learn to use all the controls on your plane. Roy Flying with a rudder since 1959 AMA #8045/CD
Mr. foambuilder is offline Find More Posts by Mr. foambuilder