Don't Panic!
Australia, WA, Baldivis
Joined Jul 2011
272 Posts
Discussion
Hobbyking trying - but not hard enough?

Mid May bought one of these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=17108
It shipped with 2 left side floats. Numerous emails over several months and I was no closer to completing the build. Response emails basically consisted of "sorry but you will have to wait until part comes from original vendor." I had suggested that a refund, or a replacement would be more valid solutions to this issue but was basically fobbed off.

Yesterday, finally gave up on the emails after waiting for a resolution for six months. Thought I would give the "live online help" a go......

Part transcript of this:

You are now chatting with : Zoe (Customer Service)

Zoe: sorry for inconvenience caused, i will check with warranty department and reply you very shortly
Zoe: we will get back to you by email with the solution
You: ok, thankyou....look forward to finally seeing this resolved? Previous email correspondence from HobbyKing has been less than helpful.
Zoe: we understand that you have been waiting for long, we will get it solved very quickly

Email response next day:

Thanks for contacting the HobbyKing Support Team.

Please accept our apology for keeping you waiting for the replacement parts that we have no feedback from supplier. We have reviewed your case and we understand that you are a very loyal customer of HobbyKing. We have came up a solution that we would like to offer you half price (USD$50) if you wish to purchase a new AT-A5. You may keep the previous one as replacement parts. Please advice if you wish to accept this offer. Thank you.

Questions:
Is it fair to make a customer wait 6 months and then ask them for more money to complete a build? I also assume that I will be charged freight on this 1/2 price replacement?
I am always reading about HK's super sales and how customers have scored free planes when they spent over $100.... The best I have done in 30 transactions and several thousand dollars is a hole reamer and a turnigy neck strap! If they are giving away free planes, why does THIS platinum customer have to work so hard to complete the build on a $100 foamie!?
I note that at least one other forum participant (Hello Scott) is also only being offered partial compensation for (in his case) damaged goods.

I think that it would be fairer if HK offered me the plane for free on my next order over $100? Then I would not object to paying freight.

Am I just seeing this all wrong? Is Hobbyking actually making a reasonable offer to fix this?
Opinions and related experiences would be appreciated.
GavDorro is offline Find More Posts by GavDorro
Last edited by GavDorro; Nov 24, 2012 at 09:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:40 PM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,552 Posts
On October 1, 2012 I ordered a Durafly Zephyr V-70 High Performance 70mm EDF V-Tail Glider 1533mm (PNF) and paid the price for EMS shipping. Shipping alone was $56.77.
I received the box 18 days later (wonderful using EMS shipping ..) The box was examined before I signed for it. NO obvious signs of trauma or damage.

Upon opening the box I learned that the hatch was broken. I took photos of the situation and sent to Hobby King. It took a couple days, but eventually they recorded this on my order:

customer claims that the item1x9095000003 is damaged on arrival.
http://support.hobbyking.com/attachm...+4+%282%29.JPG
http://support.hobbyking.com/attachm...me=photo+1.JPG
Ava 14/10/2012

http://support.hobbyking.com/attachm...+4+%281%29.JPG
http://support.hobbyking.com/attachm...+3+%282%29.JPG
http://support.hobbyking.com/attachm...+2+%283%29.JPG
http://support.hobbyking.com/attachm...+2+%282%29.JPG
http://support.hobbyking.com/attachm...+1+%282%29.JPG
http://support.hobbyking.com/attachm...+1+%281%29.JPG
Ava 15/10/2012

1 x replacement fuselage and 1x hatch requested for item 9095000003
Kathy 19/10/2012

offer $40 as compensation for damaged parts, checking with customer.
Kathy 17/11/2012

Why offer $40 -- which is less than I even paid for shipping? Because they have no spare parts -- DESPITE having a link on the order page to order spare parts. It's not that they are out of stock -- they have never had spare parts in stock.

So they have requested that I be send two spare parts they don't have, and have never had.

Well -- it's November 24 now -- still no parts in stock and only an offer of $40 in store credit (which -- by the way can't be applied to shipping).

They have an ARF for $99 -- I'd be pleased as punch if they sent me the ARF and I'd swap out the parts and send them back the broken and extra parts. But that's not an option.

Just to make things even more fun. In the meantime I ordered a small order for $20 in parts including shipping. For whatever reason (probably I didn't read some fine print) it was" shipped" with no tracking -- and of course it never arrived.
Am I suspicious that it was never shipped? You bet.

The bottom line here is that the box the Zephyr is shipped in is not sufficient to prevent the other boxes in the container from putting crushing pressure on the fuselage -- and there is no crush space allowed in the design of the box and styro shipping. This means that ordering a Zephyr is a crap shoot. If you're box is lucky enough to be on the top of the piles it get's put into along the way -- you'll be ok. If not -- then you just bought a box of broken parts that can't be replaced.

I should also say that I have over 150 orders through Hobby King on two different accounts -- most have been successful. I think the Zephyr is an awesome airplane and I desperately want one. (I had one but traded it away).

But when a customer that's spent as much as I have over the last couple years You'd think they could get a little service.
In 2012 I have had 61 orders with Hobby King which came to $6781.37

And they are willing to blow me off when shipping a $99 ARF would put be back in their good graces? H E L L O ??
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:09 PM
Don't Panic!
Australia, WA, Baldivis
Joined Jul 2011
272 Posts
Hey Scott
Thought you might have something to say about this!

Your photos are pretty damning evidence.
Gotta ask yourself how hard it would be for HK to send you the ARF version and just say "keep the rest for spares"?

Seems HK are offering as little as they think they can get away with?
All its acheiving MY end is customer aggravation!
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:17 PM
Joined May 2009
6,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GavDorro View Post
Hey Scott
Thought you might have something to say about this!

Your photos are pretty damning evidence.
Gotta ask yourself how hard it would be for HK to send you the ARF version and just say "keep the rest for spares"?

Seems HK are offering as little as they think they can get away with?
All its acheiving MY end is customer aggravation!
Well, It's clear evidence of what occurred -- what is damning is that it's a month later and I'm no closer to resolution of this situation. I doubt Anthony Hand knows how horrible his customer service is -- because he strikes me as a pretty straight up guy and I think he'd make it right. I suspect he is way over his head with all of the projects he's got going on trying to dominate the world hobby market -- and I also suspect he needs to pay closer attention to customer retention. Not sure what it means, but I noticed that Hobby King had not had banner adds in RCG (on my computer) for the past several days.

Recently I ordered three 2200 mah batteries from http://www.haiyinstore.com --( they have the best batteries I've found anywhere). One of the batteries arrived with only two cells showing juice. It was pretty obviously one of the tabs didn't get soldered in the factory. I took two photos and sent them to Eric of customer Service. That was on a Friday night. 23 hours later I received an letter of apology because he didn't get back to me sooner -- but he was in the air between China and Canada as he was moving his family to Canada. A letter of apology! On Thursday of the next week I had a replacement battery on my porch. That's what customer service is.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by scott page; Nov 24, 2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:45 AM
Don't Panic!
Australia, WA, Baldivis
Joined Jul 2011
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
Recently I ordered three 2200 mah batteries from http://www.haiyinstore.com --( they have the best batteries I've found anywhere). One of the batteries arrived with only two cells showing juice. It was pretty obviously one of the tabs didn't get soldered in the factory. I took two photos and sent them to Eric of customer Service. That was on a Friday night. 23 hours later I received an letter of apology because he didn't get back to me sooner -- but he was in the air between China and Canada as he was moving his family to Canada. A letter of apology! On Thursday of the next week I had a replacement battery on my porch. That's what customer service is.
There is no doubt that there ARE online business that DO know about customer service.

I recently had dealings with modelflight - parkzone/horizon distributor here in Australia.
Bought a UMX Beast at a local store. Elevator servo packed up after 3 flights. Local store rather convieniently never answer their phone.

Contacted ModelFlight direct and they processed the warranty giving me email updates and even ringing me to talk about replacement options when there was a chance of a delay. They were even able to source me a new beast out of an advance shipment landing airfreight ahead of the shipping container!

Definitely above and beyond, good customer service!
That sort of experience stays with you....
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:57 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,754 Posts
Simple, they should send you a new correct float, on their dime. Nothing more and nothing less. If they have to break up a complete kit to do it, then that is between them and their supplier.

To be safe they should send you a left and a right, otherwise you could end up with 3 of the same ones.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:46 PM
Joined May 2009
6,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
Simple, they should send you a new correct float, on their dime. Nothing more and nothing less. If they have to break up a complete kit to do it, then that is between them and their supplier.

To be safe they should send you a left and a right, otherwise you could end up with 3 of the same ones.

Pat MacKenzie
Reminds me of how Tower did business back in the good ole' days. Simply a phone call to them - no photo evidence, no screwing around.. simply .. a phone call and the part was in the mail.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:18 PM
most exalted one
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Aug 2002
3,567 Posts
Quote:
Reminds me of how Tower did business back in the good ole' days. Simply a phone call to them - no photo evidence, no screwing around.. simply .. a phone call and the part was in the mail.
Good ole' days is the key.

Looks like HK is the king of non service. Had similar experience with Ebay vendor who offered a pittance. ($5 off next order . ) At least there they value ratings and the claims process sometimes works!
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:28 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,754 Posts
You could always try for a refund through your CC. Defective/broken on delivery.
Depending on the card they sometimes cover losses like that.

HK's offer is proof that there was a problem.
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:38 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,569 Posts
Like I said on the other Icon thread, I would post in the HK forum on the HK web site and keep nudging them.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/f...d6ee54399e9z37
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:41 AM
Don't Panic!
Australia, WA, Baldivis
Joined Jul 2011
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
Like I said on the other Icon thread, I would post in the HK forum on the HK web site and keep nudging them.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/f...d6ee54399e9z37
OK Thomas, thanks for the tip. Will give it a shot...
wish me luck!
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:16 AM
Don't Panic!
Australia, WA, Baldivis
Joined Jul 2011
272 Posts
done!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/f...TID=36228&PN=1
Last edited by GavDorro; Nov 26, 2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:00 AM
Joined May 2009
6,552 Posts
Persistence pays off. I received notification today that my situation should be resolved by the end of the week. I'll keep you posted.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:02 AM
Don't Panic!
Australia, WA, Baldivis
Joined Jul 2011
272 Posts
Quote:
Persistence pays off. I received notification today that my situation should be resolved by the end of the week. I'll keep you posted.
Hopefully HK arent just blowing smoke? Look forward to an update.

No response from anyone within HK regards my forum post? Guess, one of the many advantages to being an online, chinese based store is that you can simply ignore complaints with little impact to the bottom line....
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:55 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GavDorro View Post
Hopefully HK arent just blowing smoke? Look forward to an update.

No response from anyone within HK regards my forum post? Guess, one of the many advantages to being an online, chinese based store is that you can simply ignore complaints with little impact to the bottom line....
I dropped by and posted to your thread in the HK forum. I hope other RCG posters do the same thing.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Nov 27, 2012 at 03:09 PM.