SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:05 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
Hi Bob
Thanks for your comments, always nice with some feedback. I see some information slipped, I will edit the post

You only need 2 x 18pF capacitors, as MAX7456 have internal load-capacitors. I had the footprints on the first PCB-design and checked that it worked without mounting extra capacitors

The 3,3V ldo regulator is a SOT23-3. I could have picked a SOT23-5, but it shouldn't make any major difference. I will probably use a 1 uF cap on the output, I believe 100 nF is acceptable as well, but you are right, 1 uF is the recommended value.

The resistor and capacitor ratings are not very important for this purpose, pretty much all components can be low rating (sure, C0G/NP0 at 18pF caps is a good idea) , but the rest of the components doesn't really matter. It's all running at 5-volt which shouldn't be any problem at all.
ah, ok, good to know the max7456 had the caps internal . excellent nothing needs any high V cap for some reason - keeps the price nice

excellent work, looking forward to seeing this made.

is the batchpcb version tested? out of curiosity, and maybe i missed it, but what is the ppm connection for?

as always, thanks,
bob4432/brian
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:09 PM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
1,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4432 View Post
ah, ok, good to know the max7456 had the caps internal . excellent nothing needs any high V cap for some reason - keeps the price nice

excellent work, looking forward to seeing this made.

is the batchpcb version tested? out of curiosity, and maybe i missed it, but what is the ppm connection for?

as always, thanks,
bob4432/brian
The newest version available from BatchPCB is not tested. I would recommend to wait, but a few have asked regarding available PCB's.

The Gerber-files etc. will be available when the PCB have been tested. PCB's from Seeedstudio is around 14$ for 10 pieces with shipping, that's hard to get any cheaper.

The PPM-in is not done yet, but have a few ideas
I will use it for signal-information with EzUHF as well.
Dennis Frie is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:22 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,824 Posts
Quote:
The newest version available from BatchPCB is not tested. I would recommend to wait, but a few have asked regarding available PCB's.

The Gerber-files etc. will be available when the PCB have been tested. PCB's from Seeedstudio is around 14$ for 10 pieces with shipping, that's hard to get any cheaper.

The PPM-in is not done yet, but have a few ideas
I will use it for signal-information with EzUHF as well.
Excellent to hear. Out of curisoty, did I miss it or how are you going to program the mcu? And also get the characters on the MAX7456? Is that why the vias aren't tented? I have been reading about so many projects, maybe I missed it and if I did I apologize for duplicating the question.

Brian
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:58 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,081 Posts
Quote:
Excellent to hear. Out of curisoty, did I miss it or how are you going to program the mcu? And also get the characters on the MAX7456? Is that why the vias aren't tented? I have been reading about so many projects, maybe I missed it and if I did I apologize for duplicating the question.

Brian
There is plenty of space on the controller, so all the new characters is saved in the firmware and automatic saved on MAX7456 first time it boot. I'll maybe change that later, but with the amount of free space available atm. it works fine to have it included as a part of the default firmware. I only update the characters that differ from default, but if people use it with MinimOSD etc. it might be a good idea to load the entire character-set.

I use a bootloader on the microcontroller, which means it only have to be programmed once with programmer. All vias was original made just big enough to fit the normal wires used with arduino etc. and not tented for debugging, programming etc. But I have to admit, that it have been changed in the latest version (as I hope it will be the last version, unless someone have some good ideas). Some vias have been made a bit smaller, they are all tented and some traces have been re-routed to avoid vias. I use this one to program, as it's a lot easier and I have quite a few things with Atmega controllers:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...hing_Tool.html

I gotta admit that makes it a bit more difficult if you use a normal programmer, but it should be doable (Vcc gnd and reset are easy available).

By the way, max los have just been increased to 460 kilometers or something crazy like that. By request from a user who plan to take it for a little ride
Will be included in next release
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Dec 04, 2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:50 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,081 Posts
I've updated the firmware. Not much have been changed, the major difference is the huge increase in max LOS by request
http://code.google.com/p/diy-osd-max7456/
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Dec 04, 2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:06 PM
Wichita
Joined Dec 2008
1,143 Posts
Awesome.

Marc.
Pixturethis is online now Find More Posts by Pixturethis
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:12 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixturethis View Post
Awesome.

Marc.
I hope you can use it
It's limited to around 460 kilometers and something like 280 miles. It will continue to show 2 decimals when you pass 100 miles.

I'll gladly increase it further, if anyone gets anywhere near the limit
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:31 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,824 Posts
Quote:
There is plenty of space on the controller, so all the new characters is saved in the firmware and automatic saved on MAX7456 first time it boot. I'll maybe change that later, but with the amount of free space available atm. it works fine to have it included as a part of the default firmware. I only update the characters that differ from default, but if people use it with MinimOSD etc. it might be a good idea to load the entire character-set.

I use a bootloader on the microcontroller, which means it only have to be programmed once with programmer. All vias was original made just big enough to fit the normal wires used with arduino etc. and not tented for debugging, programming etc. But I have to admit, that it have been changed in the latest version (as I hope it will be the last version, unless someone have some good ideas). Some vias have been made a bit smaller, they are all tented and some traces have been re-routed to avoid vias. I use this one to program, as it's a lot easier and I have quite a few things with Atmega controllers:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...hing_Tool.html

I gotta admit that makes it a bit more difficult if you use a normal programmer, but it should be doable (Vcc gnd and reset are easy available).

By the way, max los have just been increased to 460 kilometers or something crazy like that. By request from a user who apparently plan to take it for a little ride
Will be included in next release
i remember when the guy here created that tool (can't remember who - was it you?), too bad HK doesn't give proper credit .

I hate to ask, but IMHO for widespread acceptability, the ease of programming is going to be directly proportional to how far it gets accepted by the community. with no 'easy' programming method, I feel it will stay at the 'hacker' level and not move more mainstream and a bit of board space may be worth this for a larger audience. this could be accomplished through a isp connector to burn the arduino boot loader and then 6 pins in a row so people can use a ftdi adapter for programming from the arduino environment.

what are you designing this in, maybe I can help? i am pretty familiar w/ eagle and decent w/ diptrace.

bob4432/Brian
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:33 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,824 Posts
Quote:
I hope you can use it
It's limited to around 460 kilometers and something like 280 miles. It will continue to show 2 decimals when you pass 100 miles.

I'll gladly increase it further, if anyone gets anywhere near the limit
280MI, wow, that is going to be a flying battery
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:41 PM
Wichita
Joined Dec 2008
1,143 Posts
No, battery power here, well video, Rc & ing. use batteries. Forward motion is gas 4 stroke. I'll need a couple of months to get it worked out. Just found a new flying site that should me 100 miles (160km) without to much trouble. I'm really looking forward to using Dennis's OSD here.

Marc
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:49 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,824 Posts
Quote:
No, battery power here, well video, Rc & ing. use batteries. Forward motion is gas 4 stroke. I'll need a couple of months to get it worked out. Just found a new flying site that should me 100 miles (160km) without to much trouble. I'm really looking forward to using Dennis's OSD here.

Marc
out of curiosity, how much gas will you need? looking forward to seeing this going
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:28 PM
Wichita
Joined Dec 2008
1,143 Posts
I carry 2 liters on board. But can still use a 1 gallon, if I need it.

Marc
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:50 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,824 Posts
Quote:
I carry 2 liters on board. But can still use a 1 gallon, if I need it.

Marc
impressive, any pics of your setup?
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:39 AM
Wichita
Joined Dec 2008
1,143 Posts
Yes, but not here, this is Dennis's thread not mine.
Look around rcgroups you will find then.

Marc.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:00 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,081 Posts
Quote:
i remember when the guy here created that tool (can't remember who - was it you?), too bad HK doesn't give proper credit .

I hate to ask, but IMHO for widespread acceptability, the ease of programming is going to be directly proportional to how far it gets accepted by the community. with no 'easy' programming method, I feel it will stay at the 'hacker' level and not move more mainstream and a bit of board space may be worth this for a larger audience. this could be accomplished through a isp connector to burn the arduino boot loader and then 6 pins in a row so people can use a ftdi adapter for programming from the arduino environment.

what are you designing this in, maybe I can help? i am pretty familiar w/ eagle and decent w/ diptrace.

bob4432/Brian
All feedback is great - that's the only way to actually improve a design
Unfortunately you are right about the ICSP header, but as I didn't expected many to actually use the design I haven't considered it much. But I'll have a look at it, it should be possible to add space for a ICSP header somehow.

It's designed in Altium...

Quote:
Yes, but not here, this is Dennis's thread not mine.
Look around rcgroups you will find then.

Marc.
No worries at all, feel free to show all you want.