HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2013, 05:21 PM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
793 Posts
A quick flight from today
The GPS was moved and not orientated properly, but the main purpose was to test a new airframe (but the GPS is fixed and ready for next flight).

HD recording
Caipirinha second FPV flight (3 min 53 sec)

Ground recording:
Mainly flown behind trees and without LOS, at 2.4GHz - a bit of snow can be expected
Caip ground recording (3 min 55 sec)
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2013, 01:43 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
793 Posts
fly it like you stole it (2 min 6 sec)
Old Jun 10, 2013, 02:15 PM
Joined Sep 2004
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
Video
Nice field to play in.
I can see that you Capirinha cradles at high speed just like mine.
absolute-zero is offline Find More Posts by absolute-zero
Old Jun 10, 2013, 02:31 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolute-zero View Post
Nice field to play in.
I can see that you Capirinha cradles at high speed just like mine.
That was with my old Swift II on a windy day

I have some nice recordings from the Caip on the same day, they are pretty smooth.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:47 PM
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Feb 2013
88 Posts
I am curious if the OSD could be made to work with a 24MHz crystal?

Why? Well, I have Dennis's finished for a better project and I'm trying to use a MinimOSD 0.1 which, has a 24MHz crystal. The OSD does not work properly as is. Can a workaround be done to have it work? Is there a software timing change that could be placed to make the slower crystal work?
bstott2 is offline Find More Posts by bstott2
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:41 PM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
I think you're wrong in saying its a 24mhz crystal. Is it still atmega328p based? I've never heard of a 0.1 version of the minimOSD, only v1.1. If you are convinced it is truly a 24mhz xtal, your best bet is to just swap it with a 16Mhz one. Not only is running an Atmega at 24Mhz harder to fix in software, it is also physically less stable.

Unless you're talking about the 7456's crystal? If that is 24Mhz it shouldn't be working properly at all in its stock configuration. Its supposed to be 27Mhz. If this crystal is the wrong value it needsto be changed to a 27Mhz one.
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot
Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:17 AM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,820 Posts
there was a minimosd v.1 but was revised to 1.1, i think because of overheating issues feeding 12V into a small linear reg, as the 1.1 has a switching reg. they both use the max7456 and the ds calls for a 27MHz crystal. they are only like $.60 or $.70 each @ digikey, and digikey is in MN and also offers USPS 1st class shipping, which would only be $2.50 for probably 2day service to PA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legot View Post
I think you're wrong in saying its a 24mhz crystal. Is it still atmega328p based? I've never heard of a 0.1 version of the minimOSD, only v1.1. If you are convinced it is truly a 24mhz xtal, your best bet is to just swap it with a 16Mhz one. Not only is running an Atmega at 24Mhz harder to fix in software, it is also physically less stable.

Unless you're talking about the 7456's crystal? If that is 24Mhz it shouldn't be working properly at all in its stock configuration. Its supposed to be 27Mhz. If this crystal is the wrong value it needsto be changed to a 27Mhz one.
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
Old Jun 11, 2013, 03:17 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
793 Posts
So far just an idea..

- 3A 5-volt regulator
- GPS onboard
- BMP085 onboard
- 4 x 3 cm PCB

Would be a nice small solution
Old Jun 11, 2013, 03:30 PM
When in doubt, throttle out...
Joined Mar 2010
1,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
So far just an idea..

- 3A 5-volt regulator
- GPS onboard
- BMP085 onboard
- 4 x 3 cm PCB

Would be a nice small solution
It would be a very nice solution but isn't the BMP085 mounting beyond the hobbyist?
badlands is offline Find More Posts by badlands
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2013, 03:38 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlands View Post
It would be a very nice solution but isn't the BMP085 mounting beyond the hobbyist?
The BMP085 shouldn't be too bad compared to MAX7456. But itīs not an easy component, a bit of solder-experience is not a bad idea

This design is only meant as a test/alternative and not a new version of the original hardware.

The DC-DC converter runs at 700KHz which should allow small components and low ripple. Just need to test RF-noise, which will be the main challenge.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 04:11 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,641 Posts
Hey Dennis, I haven't seen the schematics so you might well have add it already.
If you keep working on those, add a GPS saw filter, that thing is a few cents and helps a lot.
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Jun 11, 2013, 04:26 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlands View Post
About the only thing that is not hobbyist friendly I would say is bga packages because we don't have xray to check under the bga itself, unless somebody has a better method of checking bgas once place?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 09:27 PM
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Feb 2013
88 Posts
@bob4432 - thanks for the support. I would probably check my favorite Mouser for the crystal - ;-) Hey, next - I did build a few Femtoduinos (Very Small) and Dennis's DIY OSD which were successful but, my eyesight is failing which is stressful and I'm not really sure I want to keep fixing. This type of build IS very nerve wracking with sweat and then IF successful not enough reward. I can say I have done a sophisticated few SMD 0402+ component builds to show the youngsters I can hang----> for a few moments. Good Enough!
[But, I probably will order and attempt ---- :-( ]

@ Legot - There are two crystals on the OSD - One (16MHz) for Atmel, One (27MHz) for the Max7456. Mine is currently 24MHz - So, You are very right. No good for workie. I bought some Chinese Junk that don't sail.

@Dennis ---- I've been reading a lot on the Arduflyer 2.5 group and they are talking about a new preference to have the magnetometer being off the main board. If you include a magnetometer on your board that would be quite a good thing for a number of flyers trying to place the GPS and magnetometer away from interferences. And say ---- kinda evolving a circular path --- If the mcu is larger capacity (2560?) then you could start gravitating to a separated FC with the other active components as an IMU connected via I2C. Circular Evolution.

Question about the 5V/3A - will it be linear to create excess heat? Is there a worry about the high current creating EMI and line noise? Or did I miss that it will be a switching item? Which is better for conversion but, more noise? And - what would we want to use it for to run 3A right under the GPS at 5V? --- Oh, you can blast me --- I'm not too advanced with the electronics yet.

Another posing question since there was no biting on my posted idea of a color OSD. What about creating - DF DIY Efficient, Fast, Small, Light, Programmable, Switching ESCs?
bstott2 is offline Find More Posts by bstott2
Last edited by bstott2; Jun 11, 2013 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Correct question ordering and grammar.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 09:29 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstott2 View Post
@Dennis ---- I've been reading a lot on the Arduflyer 2.5 group and they are talking about a new preference to have the magnetometer being off the main board. If you include a magnetometer on your board that would be quite a good thing for a number of flyers trying to place the GPS and magnetometer away from interferences. And say ---- kinda evolving a circular path --- If the mcu is larger capacity (2560?) then you could start gravitating to a separated FC with the other active components as an IMU connected via I2C. Circular Evolution.

Question about the 5V/3A - will it be linear to create excess heat? Is there a worry about the high current creating EMI and line noise? Or did I miss that it will be a switching item? Which is better for conversion but, more noise? And - what would we want to use it for to run 3A right under the GPS at 5V? --- Oh, you can blast me --- I'm not too advanced with the electronics yet.

Another posing question since there was no biting on my posted idea of a color OSD. What about creating - DF DIY Efficient, Fast, Small, Light, Programmable, Switching ESCs?
It's only barometer that I've considered to install directly onboard. Magnetometer have not been tested at all, but you can always connect one at the I2C port and write some firmware .

The 5V regulator is a 700KHz switching regulator - Not linear. It have an efficiency above 90% and should not get hot with normal load (500mW TX, OSD and camera).

The RF-noise need to be tested and verified first, but with good filters and short loops in the converter, it should be possible to keep it to a minimum.

ESC's could be fun, but keeping the price low is just not possible unless you buy a couple of thousands components at a time.

Smaller loop and extra footprints for capacitors
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Jun 15, 2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 01:59 AM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,820 Posts
i would design for the bmp180 baro as the bmp085 is eol and digikey is showing 0 in stock atm of this writing. it is comparable to the bmp085 and should work w/ the same software as i have connected a bmp180 bob to mw and uncommented bmp085 in the firmware and it works, same w/ tc's baseflight (but i haven't looked into his code to see if he put in the bmp180). you could always go the ms5611 too...