Old May 12, 2013, 03:21 PM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
1,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristaps_r View Post
Hi Dennis,

Sorry if it is being discussed but I didn't have time to read.
I get OSD letters when connected OSD without camera, but in versions 0.18 and 0.19 OSD disappears as soon as camera is connected!
0.16 and 0.17 don't do that.

Maybe you know where could be the problem?

Kristaps
It sounds like the video-system is selected wrong.

From version 0.18 PAL/NTSC selection is stored in EEPROM. In version 0.18 there was a bug, that would always set the initial video-system to NTSC on first boot (so you had to change it in the menu). This is fixed in version 0.19.

But if you use bootloader, the EEPROM will not be cleared and the selection of PAL/NTSC will be remembered even though you upload new software. If you use bootloader, please try to set "force_update" to one, upload the software, set it to 0 and upload again. This should ensure the video-system set in the config-file is selected.

Please let me know if this solves the problem
Dennis Frie is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2013, 04:44 PM
Latvia, Riga
Joined May 2010
671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
It sounds like the video-system is selected wrong.

From version 0.18 PAL/NTSC selection is stored in EEPROM. In version 0.18 there was a bug, that would always set the initial video-system to NTSC on first boot (so you had to change it in the menu). This is fixed in version 0.19.

But if you use bootloader, the EEPROM will not be cleared and the selection of PAL/NTSC will be remembered even though you upload new software. If you use bootloader, please try to set "force_update" to one, upload the software, set it to 0 and upload again. This should ensure the video-system set in the config-file is selected.

Please let me know if this solves the problem
Thank you very much for your help! It works. Now I get OSD when camera connected
kristaps_r is offline Find More Posts by kristaps_r
Old May 12, 2013, 04:47 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,080 Posts
Quote:
Thank you very much for your help! It works. Now I get OSD when camera connected
Perfect
Have you had a chance to get some time with it in air? I've been using it quite a lot and not experienced any problems so far
Old May 12, 2013, 04:51 PM
Latvia, Riga
Joined May 2010
671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
Perfect
Have you had a chance to get some time with it in air? I've been using it quite a lot and not experienced any problems so far
No I have a lot to do on other projects and also slowly building my Skywalker 2013 where I will put MAX OSD. Hope to get in air in few weeks.
kristaps_r is offline Find More Posts by kristaps_r
Old May 12, 2013, 05:29 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,080 Posts
Quote:
No I have a lot to do on other projects and also slowly building my Skywalker 2013 where I will put MAX OSD. Hope to get in air in few weeks.
No worries, we are giving it some good airtime here in Denmark

Old May 12, 2013, 06:58 PM
KC9TPL- Get Legit
USA, IN, Bloomington
Joined Aug 2007
840 Posts
^^^ amazingly beautiful pictures!

I'm planning to add some additional code to access an I2C device. Is the current code near the memory limits, and if so can I substitute a separate chip with more memory?
BloomingtonFPV is offline Find More Posts by BloomingtonFPV
Old May 12, 2013, 07:08 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloomingtonFPV View Post
^^^ amazingly beautiful pictures!

I'm planning to add some additional code to access an I2C device. Is the current code near the memory limits, and if so can I substitute a separate chip with more memory?
Software version 0.17 have quite a lot of memory left. Software version 0.18 and 0.19 uses a bit more memory, as the defines have been replaced with if, in order to allow a lot of things to be changed through the menu-system. I'll consider to optimize sooner or later, but it's not critical yet

It shouldn't be a problem to add an extra I2C sensor with any of the versions. Can I ask what sensor you plan to add?
Old May 13, 2013, 05:53 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,427 Posts
Dennis could you guide me in which part of the code I should look so that I could try and implement UBX protocol instead of nmea.
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
Old May 13, 2013, 07:06 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Dennis could you guide me in which part of the code I should look so that I could try and implement UBX protocol instead of nmea.
Sure, you have to change gps.cpp file. All the GPS-data and UART receiving is done in here.

Go to line 744
#if (!GPS_CALC_IN_INTERRUPT)

And change the function void gpsPol(), to match the UBX protocol. I don't have any experience with the UBX protocol, but you should be able to find plenty of information on the protocol
Old May 16, 2013, 02:11 AM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
I'm troubleshooting my OSD, and I can't seem to figure out what the problem is. I've narrowed it down to something with the MAX, as the Atmega uploads and runs sketches correctly, right timing, etc. Everything is soldered correctly

The Max just seems to be refusing to print onto the display, with no other symptoms. I'm clueless here...
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot
Old May 17, 2013, 02:16 AM
FpvQc
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jan 2008
155 Posts
i've got a similar problem, recheck your solder on the MAX.
Next, check if you have something on screen.
BillyJo is offline Find More Posts by BillyJo
Old May 18, 2013, 11:53 AM
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Feb 2013
88 Posts
Hi,

[Edit - May 23, 2013] Mouser Project list is corrected for parts and quantities. DF DIY OSD (MAX7456 version) Project Order Link.

I just noticed today that my convenient Project at Mouser which, is linked on the first page for easy orders, has two wrong part numbers. This Mouser Project was correct because I used it to order and I received the order from it with no errors! The problem items were 'New' so maybe they changed the P/N(s)? Anyway, to complicate my correcting it for everyone that specific Project is not listed in 'My Projects' nor will it allow me to edit. I have an e-mail into Mouser tech support.

Items with problems are:
* 603-RC0805FR-0710KL Should Be ----> 603-AC0805FR-0710KL

* 603-RC0805FR-131KL Should Be ----> 603-AC0805FR-071KL

Again, I apologize for any inconvenience. I fully checked the list - AND - the ultimate test was to order from it. I received my product. What better proof of the correct list? Ha, HA! Not in this new world. NOTHING IS RIGHT!

Edit - May 23, 2013 ---- > corrected the above parts list link with updated and available parts.
bstott2 is offline Find More Posts by bstott2
Last edited by bstott2; May 23, 2013 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Mouser Project has been corrected ! Fix Parts Link.
Old May 18, 2013, 11:56 AM
Joined Feb 2013
88 Posts
Dennis - When you post those Beautiful pictures - Would you continue to post with what equipment used for the photos?

Brian.
Old May 18, 2013, 06:06 PM
Joined Feb 2013
88 Posts
Another to join the group.

Wow, A 10 hour day - problems in the way and here is what I've got to Say, "Great Job! to Dennis Frie. And to all we the rest ---- We all who build or just really appreciate Dennis's design, diligence and support - Give Dennis a fiver ($5.00) or more in your currency or Dennis's (?)." I did! Great Project - Money well spent!

To the grumpy puppies that say it is cheaper to buy the other and not bother. Well, here is where the fun and adventure begins. We see an Adventurer (Dennis Frie) post a 'What if.' Many join to encourage him. He thinks, collects, organizes, designs, builds, tests, etc... and gives it to us for ??? FREE!!! Over a year in the making ---- VERY COOL!

Pony up to the bar with $$$. You spend more on worthless vices. Give to a Great Guy!
Last edited by bstott2; May 18, 2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old May 21, 2013, 05:00 PM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined Nov 2010
36 Posts
Need boards and will have some chips available

If anyone has excess PC boards for the OSD, I would like to purchase up to 3 before I try to order them.

Also, I placed an order from China for some MAX7456 and Altamega chips at significant discount, and will be happy to share with the thread at approximately my cost, about $7 for one of each. They won't be available though for 4-6 weeks, but I will post when they come in.

Dick
rbcodell is offline Find More Posts by rbcodell