1,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
New software uploaded
http://code.google.com/p/diy-osd-max7456/downloads/list

Again, I can't remember all changes, but some of them:
  • Sink-rate and bar possible to turn on/off
  • Sink-rate supports imperial units
  • A lot of rework with characters, so you can modify them easy with the included GUI (From Ascended)
  • Different layout-options to show Icons, units, or default text
  • Call-sign supported
  • Start-up delay added
  • Units added to mah/km calculation
  • Satellites on/off now possible in normal mode
  • Changing battery-icon depending on mah left

For "old users" it's important to notice, that all character-upload have been moved to "Character_uploader". This means you have to upload this software first, in order to use get the new character-set.

All figures, new txt etc. is done rather quick, so feel free to improve and share with the included character-editor
Wow! & Wow again!

Incredible work Dennis - we ask & you implement!

Im off to give the new code a try...

Thank you!
badlands is offline Find More Posts by badlands
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:41 PM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlands View Post
Wow! & Wow again!

Incredible work Dennis - we ask & you implement!

Im off to give the new code a try...

Thank you!
Hopefully I'll get all the crazy ideas implemented sooner or later
The config-file is quite long at the moment, but should give a lot of possibilities.

Let me hear how it works out when you get time to test it.
Dennis Frie is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:15 PM
Joined Sep 2004
253 Posts
Quote:
Sounds good
The call-sign have been implemented, but you have to set the interval. I've just set it to 30 seconds interval, but it's an option in the config-file (couldn't remember the required interval).

The default-layout is changed a bit, just set layout-style to 0 to use the old layout.

Let me know if you have any problems. If everything works as expected, I think we are getting close to a final version - with more or less all the features people have asked for so far

Still 25% memory left
Super. Call-sign interval is one time within every 5 min.
I will use the old style layout just switching voltage and current. to make it look like my EZOSD :-)

Sounds good. Don't forget the i2c EZUHF 2x Rssi and link quality and bad packet indicator. :-) it will cost some memory.

Does the dot in the GPS-position have the black border now?

Tilt compensating magnetic compass data from a GY-85/ITG3205+ADXL345+HMC5883L module could still be usefull if you have a hangover again. hehe.
absolute-zero is offline Find More Posts by absolute-zero
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:27 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolute-zero View Post
Super. Call-sign interval is one time within every 5 min.
I will use the old style layout just switching voltage and current. to make it look like my EZOSD :-)

Sounds good. Don't forget the i2c EZUHF 2x Rssi and link quality and bad packet indicator. :-) it will cost some memory.

Does the dot in the GPS-position have the black border now?

Tilt compensating magnetic compass data from a GY-85/ITG3205+ADXL345+HMC5883L module could still be usefull if you have a hangover again. hehe.
The shadow around the dot is not done. It was not a simple character I could just correct (the dot is generated in code), so forgot all about.
- Well, that means there will be another version available some day

I will change the call-sign interval to 5 minutes as default.

The tilt-compensated compass require the artificial horizon is working. So that might be worth looking at when thats working smooth.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:39 PM
Joined Sep 2004
253 Posts
Quote:
The shadow around the dot is not done. It was not a simple character I could just correct (the dot is generated in code), so forgot all about.
- Well, that means there will be another version available some day

I will change the call-sign interval to 5 minutes as default.

The tilt-compensated compass require the artificial horizon is working. So that might be worth looking at when thats working smooth.
It just sounds great. Good night from here...
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:44 PM
Portugal
Joined Mar 2004
2,637 Posts
Quote:
I will personally move the topline 1 line up and buttom-line 1 line down
I did that with mine and like it, to bad my GS DVR can't cope with it, so my ground recordings doesn't have perceptible osd data.

I read the odt manual but it comes without most of the images, couldn't add nothing meaningful good work Dennis (as usual...).
jalves is offline Find More Posts by jalves
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:20 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Jun 2009
168 Posts
Documentation looks great. Now I have to READ it.
The new software looks really good. Problem is, it takes a half hour now to go through the config file and decide what I want to do. More decisions!
I have a MPU6050 and BMP085 plugged in and it all works. I bought some cheap sensors and was wondering if they would even work.
Here's one for Dennis. The temperature from the BMP085 is displaying about 24/25 degrees C and then I switch on the AH and the temperature now displays 64 degrees C. I know this is a hot board, but I think something is not quite right. It's consistent. AH off, reasonable temp, AH on, very hot.
Bill
SupraGo is offline Find More Posts by SupraGo
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:22 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraGo View Post
Documentation looks great. Now I have to READ it.
The new software looks really good. Problem is, it takes a half hour now to go through the config file and decide what I want to do. More decisions!
I have a MPU6050 and BMP085 plugged in and it all works. I bought some cheap sensors and was wondering if they would even work.
Here's one for Dennis. The temperature from the BMP085 is displaying about 24/25 degrees C and then I switch on the AH and the temperature now displays 64 degrees C. I know this is a hot board, but I think something is not quite right. It's consistent. AH off, reasonable temp, AH on, very hot.
Bill
Great to see some pics
Looks really good

I'm aware of the problem with MPU6050 and BMP085. At the moment they don't play well together. It was a test to see, if I could eliminate some delay when reading from BMP085. It works just fine - just until you connect other I2C devices

But it's ofc a bug and should be fixed, I've just been waiting with the artificial horizon for a while
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:11 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Jun 2009
168 Posts
Take your time. I for sure won't be flying this one for a few months yet.
I have just ordered some eBay Max chips. 5 for $26, free shipping. Will be interesting to see how they turn out.
If you are thinking about another version of the PCB, I have a couple of suggestions. I just put some polarized, lotching connectors on my board and the I2C sensor one had to go on the bottom of the board because there was not enough room on top right next to the ISP connector. I could of squeezed it on with a little trimming, but the programmer would have problems then. If it would be possible to move the ISP pins a few millimetres towards the video end of the board that would be leave enough room.
The other one, possibly a reset/home pushbutton somewhere on the board. I have a Remzibi OSD and there is one on it. You get to start timers etc when you are ready.
Slightly of topic. I tried initially doing the first programming on this board with an AVRISP MKII but it wouldn't connect. Tried different computers with different OS and kept coming back with bad connection, although did manage to get the bootloader in. In desperation I tried an HK USBASP, it got a little further but didn't like doing first programming with the SCK error that these always have. Did some checking and found a thread where there were instructions to update the firmware using another USBASP. I have 2, so gave it a shot. Got both of them programmed in under 5 mins. Best of all, the SCK error is now gone and I was able to easily program your board on all of my computers. FYI

Thank you for a great project.
Bill
SupraGo is offline Find More Posts by SupraGo
Last edited by SupraGo; Feb 25, 2013 at 01:17 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:08 AM
When in doubt, throttle out...
Joined Mar 2010
1,570 Posts
Quote:
In desperation I tried an HK USBASP, it got a little further but didn't like doing first programming with the SCK error that these always have. Did some checking and found a thread where there were instructions to update the firmware using another USBASP. I have 2, so gave it a shot. Got both of them programmed in under 5 mins. Best of all, the SCK error is now gone and I was able to easily program your board on all of my computers. FYI

Thank you for a great project.
Bill
Yea the SCK error sux - i didnt know you could update firmware with another USBASP, got a link?

:-)
badlands is offline Find More Posts by badlands
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:34 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
791 Posts
I normally use an Arduino as ISP, haven't had any problems so far

I also have a normal ISP, but with the driver required and missing driver signature for windows 7, using an Arduino have just been easier.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:06 PM
Joined Sep 2004
253 Posts
Quote:
The other one, possibly a reset/home pushbutton somewhere on the board. I have a Remzibi OSD and there is one on it. You get to start timers etc when you are ready.
Dennis has implemented this for me all ready. Just activate it in the config file. It resets home when you connect the RSSI-pad to ground. I actually use a Remzibi-button ;-)

Michael
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:54 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,408 Posts
Quote:
I think rather than supporting that gy-85 IMU, since you already support mpu6050 and bmp085 it would be best to support just the hmc5883 sensor breakout board directly. For compensation you can get data from mpu6050 since its both and gyro and accelerometer. ...Well if you have a long enough hangover you can support both ways of course hehe, choice is ultimately yours

I'm reading the "max-osd manual" and it says at the character uploader part, like the characters are uploaded with programmer (arduino as isp, usbasp etc.), can't they be uploaded just with cp2102 (or ftdi; rx&tx)? (my atmega will already have nano bootloader preloaded)
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Last edited by msev; Feb 25, 2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:04 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
I think rather than supporting that gy-85 IMU, since you already support mpu6050 and bmp085 it would be best to support just the hmc5883 sensor breakout board directly. For compensation you can get data from mpu6050 since its both and gyro and accelerometer. ...Well if you have a long enough hangover you can support both ways of course hehe, choice is ultimately yours

I'm reading the "max-osd manual" and it says at the character uploader part, like the characters are uploaded with programmer (arduino as isp, usbasp etc.), can't they be uploaded just with cp2102 (or ftdi; rx&tx)? (my atmega will already have nano bootloader preloaded)
Funny how everyone noticed me mentioning hangover

With all the steps described, it doesn't matter much if you use bootloader (normal Arduino upload) or ISP. Only difference is, that all EEPROM-settings will be cleared when using ISP (that's the reason for the option "force_clear" or something like that, if using bootloader).
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:33 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,408 Posts
Cool, I think I get it. Btw I'll get the boards in 2 days ..I'll post some pictures...So if someone wants some pcbs badly send me a PM.

Btw for that f4discovery board of yours, maybe you should look into Taulabs, its a friendly fork of Openpilot, so you might put that board to good use
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev