Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:23 PM
FpvQc
Canada, QC, Chibougamau
Joined Jan 2008
153 Posts
hi guys ! i've done my ISP programmer with my Arduino MEGA to program my OSD. I was able to burn Bootloader.

Next, i've downloaded Character Uploader and all was ok, so i reboot the OSD and wait 20-30sec.

Next i try to download the MAX7456_OSD sketch, but i have this message :
avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature.
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

did my device is dead ???
BillyJo is offline Find More Posts by BillyJo
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:44 PM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJo View Post
hi guys ! i've done my ISP programmer with my Arduino MEGA to program my OSD. I was able to burn Bootloader.

Next, i've downloaded Character Uploader and all was ok, so i reboot the OSD and wait 20-30sec.

Next i try to download the MAX7456_OSD sketch, but i have this message :
avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature.
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

did my device is dead ???
What micro-controller have you used? It sounds like you are using an Atmega328 or Atmega328PU. Arduino expects an Atmega328P.

I've been using an Atmega328 on a few units, I've just changed the microcontroller ID in the file - have worked fine so far
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:48 PM
FpvQc
Canada, QC, Chibougamau
Joined Jan 2008
153 Posts
Atmega328P
written on the chip
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:53 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
739 Posts
Quote:
Atmega328P
written on the chip
That's weird. And you have the right board selected (Tools -> Board -> "Something with Atmega328")

Another solution is to use the bootloader. If you have successfully uploaded the bootloader, you should be able to upload with serial-communication instead. But it should be easier to use the ISP, as you will most likely have GPS connected to USART-pins later.

Try to burn bootloader again and upload MAX7456_OSD after that.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:06 PM
FpvQc
Canada, QC, Chibougamau
Joined Jan 2008
153 Posts
well nothing seems to work.... i will have to recheck everything... really strange !

but now error text is :
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

maybe i will need a real ISP programmer...
Last edited by BillyJo; Feb 11, 2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:23 AM
Joined May 2012
404 Posts
Quick update from me on my hardware. I've designed a current sensor. I got a big fright when looking up the attopilot/dragonlink resistor chips and found they are rated to 31A (62A with two resistors as some have now), when I'm pulling 90A through them - and the DIYDrones current sensor only works to 18V due to the PTH08080 on board.

As such, and so I have a current sensor that will safely work with planes like my EDF Jet, helicopter and some big unmanned aircraft I made a 90A current sensor which is happily rated for 126A, and 380A burst. The 90A would be scaled for 3.3v, so we get some overhead on the 5v chip on the OSD. Finally, a small, safe shunt style current sensor!

I mount my cables inline on the cable, so the ground is provided on the back of the current sensor, and voltage on the front. No wasted space for connectors you wont use, and no cables doing a U bend which makes connections in the plane stupid. Just a pair of cables with a 13mm bump out one side.

It has the DF-13 connector the same as the OSD for easy connection, and the same as the ArduPilot.

The resistors in the silkscreen surrounds are removed, and the solder jumper shorted for use with the OSD, or with a DragonOSD/Similar. With the resistors in place and the jumper unshorted the board will work with the ArduPilot reporting as a Attopilot sensor.
Ascended is offline Find More Posts by Ascended
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:25 AM
Joined May 2012
404 Posts
Quote:
well nothing seems to work.... i will have to recheck everything... really strange !

but now error text is :
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

maybe i will need a real ISP programmer...
Grab AVR Studio 4, 5 or 6 (i prefer 4 for this sort of thing) and program it through that. The programmer interface on that is far more intelligent. I think i've only managed to get AVRdude to work with a AVRISP mkII once.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:41 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
Quick update from me on my hardware. I've designed a current sensor. I got a big fright when looking up the attopilot/dragonlink resistor chips and found they are rated to 31A (62A with two resistors as some have now), when I'm pulling 90A through them - and the DIYDrones current sensor only works to 18V due to the PTH08080 on board.

As such, and so I have a current sensor that will safely work with planes like my EDF Jet, helicopter and some big unmanned aircraft I made a 90A current sensor which is happily rated for 126A, and 380A burst. The 90A would be scaled for 3.3v, so we get some overhead on the 5v chip on the OSD. Finally, a small, safe shunt style current sensor!

I mount my cables inline on the cable, so the ground is provided on the back of the current sensor, and voltage on the front. No wasted space for connectors you wont use, and no cables doing a U bend which makes connections in the plane stupid. Just a pair of cables with a 13mm bump out one side.

It has the DF-13 connector the same as the OSD for easy connection, and the same as the ArduPilot.

The resistors in the silkscreen surrounds are removed, and the solder jumper shorted for use with the OSD, or with a DragonOSD/Similar. With the resistors in place and the jumper unshorted the board will work with the ArduPilot reporting as a Attopilot sensor.
Schematic? Parts list? Or should I design my own if I'll ever need such a big one?
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:15 AM
Joined May 2012
404 Posts
I want to get these made and tested before I release anything
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:57 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Charlottenlund
Joined Jan 2012
1,367 Posts
Quote:
Grab AVR Studio 4, 5 or 6 (i prefer 4 for this sort of thing) and program it through that. The programmer interface on that is far more intelligent. I think i've only managed to get AVRdude to work with a AVRISP mkII once.
I ditched the AVR Studio due to it's size and complexity, which kind of flabbergasted me. After fixing a driver issue, my AVRISP mkll works fine with AVRdude.
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:31 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
739 Posts
Quote:

Looks good
Have you used an INA 13x or a normal opamp coupled as differential amplifier?
The max gain on INA 13x is not that high, but it should be fine in most cases.

You might have to be aware, that some current-sensors have voltage-divider mounted for v-sense (and not on the OSD). That's not a problem for this project, but if people connect 12v+ on a 3.3v ADC input... Well
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:42 AM
Joined May 2012
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
Looks good
Have you used an INA 13x or a normal opamp coupled as differential amplifier?
The max gain on INA 13x is not that high, but it should be fine in most cases.

You might have to be aware, that some current-sensors have voltage-divider mounted for v-sense (and not on the OSD). That's not a problem for this project, but if people connect 12v+ on a 3.3v ADC input... Well
Its the INA169 - which is a bit nicer than the 139.

If people wanted the current sensor for anything else, the resistors would come pre-placed. If they wanted to use it for an OSD with vdivs, then they just need to pull the parts which are outlined in silk screen I have a couple of different products I'd want to use this for and its a real pain sometimes to find a sensor board which will work - hopefully this will make life a little easier for me (and others!)
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:19 PM
Portugal
Joined Mar 2004
2,632 Posts
My flavour of DFMaxOSd.
jalves is offline Find More Posts by jalves
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:30 PM
When in doubt, throttle out...
Joined Mar 2010
1,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalves View Post
My flavour of DFMaxOSd.
I think thats how i will use it - uncluttered with only essential info.

I like it!
badlands is offline Find More Posts by badlands
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:53 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalves View Post
My flavour of DFMaxOSd.
Ahhh... agora fez-me lembrar as vezes em que ia voar a Siderurgia.
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind