HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:41 PM
Joined Sep 2004
253 Posts
Long range OSD and IBCrazy 1.2 Ghz Pepperbox test in Nordjylland.

FPV in Blokhus (0 min 0 sec)

1.2Ghz AV Tx 400mW
Tx Antenna: 1.2 Ghz Mad Mushroom
Lawmate 1.2 Ghz Rx
Rx Antenna: 1.2 Ghz Pepperbox

All my gear was packed before the release of the new firmware. So I just uploaded the firmware with the new stuff activated for testing.
Small explaining text will be great.

Yes I owe you a beer
absolute-zero is offline Find More Posts by absolute-zero
Last edited by absolute-zero; Feb 11, 2013 at 11:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:17 AM
Joined Jul 2008
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
Really nice to see

There is still some space and processing-power left on the microcontroller. If anything specific is missing, just let me know.

I was out flying a couple of hours with Mike_o today.
Everything seems to work perfect (except negative temperature)
I think it was said before several times regarding telemetry, but as long as you're asking - lots of people are using FrSky receivers with telemetry, so - you get the idea Although I know, that there's no free serial output on board, it shouldn't be something impossible as long as I2C is on board - it would make more sense to add some I2C to serial adapter than to replicate all sensors and add FrSky hub just to get data to ground.
At least this was what stopped me from doing this OSD for my self - I've got MAX7456 samples, but then started thinking, that may be it will be easier (may be cheaper too) to connect minimOSD to arduino nano, arduino nano would collect data from sensors and send them to minimOSD and FrSky receiver - it would not be such a small and nice pacage as your OSD, but it should do everything I need at the moment
dziedrius is offline Find More Posts by dziedrius
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:52 AM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolute-zero View Post
Long range OSD and IBCrasy 1.2 Ghz Pepperbox test in Nordjylland.

http://vimeo.com/59369567

More details to come. Video is uploaded soon.
Looks really nice
The antenna seems to perform pretty well.

The line and position for all the mah/km stuff etc. should probably be moved - I just placed in in the middle when coding
I will also consider to add some small text, to explain the numbers
Dennis Frie is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:05 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dziedrius View Post
I think it was said before several times regarding telemetry, but as long as you're asking - lots of people are using FrSky receivers with telemetry, so - you get the idea Although I know, that there's no free serial output on board, it shouldn't be something impossible as long as I2C is on board - it would make more sense to add some I2C to serial adapter than to replicate all sensors and add FrSky hub just to get data to ground.
At least this was what stopped me from doing this OSD for my self - I've got MAX7456 samples, but then started thinking, that may be it will be easier (may be cheaper too) to connect minimOSD to arduino nano, arduino nano would collect data from sensors and send them to minimOSD and FrSky receiver - it would not be such a small and nice pacage as your OSD, but it should do everything I need at the moment
Even though FrSky performs pretty well compared to similar RC-links, I don't see it as an ideal RC-link for FPV. If it was a quick add-on in software, I wouldn't mind, but adding extra hardware to support FrSky telemetry will not be done.

With the RF-links Ascended have developed, telemetry is already in work

By the way - you might be able to use the Serial output if you want. The serial-communication is only used with GPS, but you only need the USART TX from Atmega if you configure the GPS on start-up.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:47 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,849 Posts
I achieved 3 miles + with FrSky .. it's a matter of Antennas ..
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:08 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,414 Posts
Roberto achieves 100km+ on 433MHz , with the right antennas of course.
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:09 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Roberto achieves 100km+ on 433MHz , with the right antennas of course.
How much wattage?
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:15 AM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,659 Posts
Quote:
Even though FrSky performs pretty well compared to similar RC-links, I don't see it as an ideal RC-link for FPV. If it was a quick add-on in software, I wouldn't mind, but adding extra hardware to support FrSky telemetry will not be done.

With the RF-links Ascended have developed, telemetry is already in work

By the way - you might be able to use the Serial output if you want. The serial-communication is only used with GPS, but you only need the USART TX from Atmega if you configure the GPS on start-up.
The only problem is that the FrSKy telemetry uses a low BAUD rate. It run at 9800, while for the GPS you'll want to use a higher one to get a proper update rate.
If there is any available pin it would probably be easier to use a software serial port.
IceWind is online now Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:21 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshotcopter View Post
How much wattage?
I believe 0,5W, but he uses a directional antenna.
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:23 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
I believe 0,5W, but he uses a directional antenna.
Thank you, understood about the antenna.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:27 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind View Post
The only problem is that the FrSKy telemetry uses a low BAUD rate. It run at 9800, while for the GPS you'll want to use a higher one to get a proper update rate.
If there is any available pin it would probably be easier to use a software serial port.
The default baud-rate is 9600 at the moment. That's enough for 5Hz update-rate
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:47 AM
United States, AZ, Prescott Valley
Joined Feb 2012
178 Posts
Hi Dennis,

It's cool to see folks using the pcb version - I'm still getting used to it.
I really like the nano version.....silly me!

So.. here is what my pcb version looks like before any flights or crashes
The little white thing is a piece of hard plastic I made to slip over the ISP pins to protect them from shorting or getting smashed. I'm sure I would have shorted these out with something.

Attached is a pict of the Nano version again for those interested. - just one more connector to the MAX then the pcb version -

I like the solder joints visible on the pcb version like this so I can inspect them without taking things apart. I use a little piece of scotch tape on the connectors to hold them from slipping out in flight or during crashes, has worked well so far on the nano version. The ties seem to prevent any one wire from pulling off.

Question on the pcb version:

Notice the left connectors; I’m using a 12 volt cam and Vtx s. The white wire in the left connectors is just a loop for audio ie (not connected to the board). So I bring 12V from the battery to the center ground and raw pad. Then I take 2 raws and two grounds from the other pads to the cam and Vtx.
My question is, I am not using the Gnd you intended for the cam and vtx ….. This should work fine….. yes ?

Keep on posting those videos of flying in the clouds - it's keeping me motivated !!

Thanks again Dennis for such an amazing job with this OSD........ way more then I expected !!

Rick
RickEis is offline Find More Posts by RickEis
Last edited by RickEis; Feb 11, 2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:41 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,659 Posts
Quote:
The default baud-rate is 9600 at the moment. That's enough for 5Hz update-rate
Bang! /me shut-up and go read the code...

I've been trying to stay away from the soldering iron for some time but this is making it harder.
IceWind is online now Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:51 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickEis View Post
Hi Dennis,

It's cool to see folks using the pcb version - I'm still getting used to it.
I really like the nano version.....silly me!

So.. here is what my pcb version looks like before any flights or crashes
The little white thing is a piece of hard plastic I made to slip over the ISP pins to protect them from shorting or getting smashed. I'm sure I would have shorted these out with something.

Attached is a pict of the Nano version again for those interested. - just one more connector to the MAX then the pcb version -

I like the solder joints visible on the pcb version like this so I can inspect them without taking things apart. I use a little piece of scotch tape on the connectors to hold them from slipping out in flight or during crashes, has worked well so far on the nano version. The ties seem to prevent any one wire from pulling off.

Question on the pcb version:

Notice the left connectors; I’m using a 12 volt cam and Vtx s. The white wire in the left connectors is just a loop for audio ie (not connected to the board). So I bring 12V from the battery to the center ground and raw pad. Then I take 2 raws and two grounds from the other pads to the cam and Vtx.
My question is, I am not using the Gnd you intended for the cam and vtx ….. This should work fine….. yes ?

Keep on posting those videos of flying in the clouds - it's keeping me motivated !!

Thanks again Dennis for such an amazing job with this OSD........ way more then I expected !!

Rick
Looks good
But I have to admit, that your version with Arduino Nano is pretty neat as well. Quite small compared to the hardware/connections you have.

In regard to the 12-volt question. Ground-pads are all connected directly to the ground-plane. You can use them as you want.
12-volt can be splitted on the RAW-pads (as you have done), or just splitted with wires or whatever you prefer.In regard to noise it's normally preferred to keep ground-connection and positive supply close, but in this case with small currents and no switching you should be fine.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:57 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind View Post
Bang! /me shut-up and go read the code...

I've been trying to stay away from the soldering iron for some time but this is making it harder.
No worries, I don´t think the baud-rate was mentioned before

Staying away from the soldering iron? That must be tough