HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:35 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,820 Posts
But when he states there is a hardware limitation issue and it is pretty much not possible and you still say how vital it is, sounds a bit demanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issus View Post
I wasn't demanding anything, I was stating that I think the radar view is vital. Dennis asked for ideas on features.
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:40 PM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
816 Posts
No worries guys, all ideas are welcome - possible or not

Radar-mode is not a quick fix, due to the limited number of characters, but if it's a feature a lot of people would like to see, it should be possible to move a few things around. But it will never get 100% smooth, as it can't be controlled pixel-by-pixel
Dennis Frie is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:33 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,411 Posts
What about hmc5883l integration? And whats up with that telemetry module from Ascendend, if you'll support that, maybe it would also be cool to support the openlrs..Now that HK has it so cheap a lot of new guys will jump in..And you also own openlrs,..quite a few things have apparently been made by Kha lately as you know...And did you have some chat with Jalves about video telemetry, some news maybe?
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:02 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
What about hmc5883l integration? And whats up with that telemetry module from Ascendend, if you'll support that, maybe it would also be cool to support the openlrs..Now that HK has it so cheap a lot of new guys will jump in..And you also own openlrs,..quite a few things have apparently been made by Kha lately as you know...And did you have some chat with Jalves about video telemetry, some news maybe?
I've considered to add a magnetometer, to get accurate orientation of the plane. But it will mainly be useful when used on a multirotor or when flying in high winds. The main problem is, that it will require some calibration, to get an accurate result. While the calibration shouldn't be a problem, it's not completely plug-n-play. I've already seen how much trouble that can cause with the headtracker project. While a lot of people love it, quite a few had problems with the calibration process.

The RF module from Ascended will be supported, that was kinda like the purpose of the idea

OpenLRS will most likely not be supported. The RC-link is quite critical and as the range as already in the low end, adding support for multiple TX/RX and transferring GPS-coordinates etc. will not help. If you use 2 OpenLRS systems you might be able to send the GPS-coordinates back and send it from the other transmitter - but that's more an OpenLRS project.

With the RF-modules from Ascended, the plan is to keep a constant link between multiple objects. Could be 2 planes and ground-station etc.
A lot of new opportunities if it turns out well.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:28 AM
Joined Sep 2004
253 Posts
A small test in air with newest firmware 1.03

Dennis Frie's OSD 1.03 on quadcopter with KK2.0 LCD controller (4 min 52 sec)
absolute-zero is offline Find More Posts by absolute-zero
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:38 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolute-zero View Post
A small test in air with newest firmware 1.03

https://vimeo.com/58779007
Looks good - except for the "landing"
Thanks for posting

Have you noticed any problems? I noticed GPS/LOS drifted a bit near the trees, but luckily I can blame the GPS for that

I'll most likely move the text all the way to top and bottom as default, but that can be changed in config-menu anyway
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Feb 02, 2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:06 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post

The RF module from Ascended will be supported, that was kinda like the purpose of the idea

Will it be opensource? (hardware design + software)
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:30 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
816 Posts
Quote:
It's still a pretty new idea/project (The RF-part). At the moment the important thing is to get it tested, see how it performs etc.
We haven't really discussed anything in regard to OpenSource or not. The hardware design is done be Ascended - and that's his decision. But to be honest, I don't think the hardware will be OpenSource, as it wouldn't make much sense. It's not a simple RF-module like RFM that you can just attach to a simple PCB and it's not something you can easily make at home. Chances are, that the hardware-design is only useful to people trying to copy the design.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:56 PM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
I have an idea (for a future version) that may seem a little bizarre, but hear me out.

Why not (when development for this version is exhausted, which is sometime soon) go back to the LM1881 version? What would need to be done is replace the ATmega with a higher powered ARM and redo a large amount of the coding. My reasoning behind this suggestion is that the ARM will obviously be more capable with faster speeds, more ports, more memory, etc; and using the LM1881 would allow the OSD to be based on controlling individual pixels (I'm guessing at least a 256x256 grid), rather than relying on a small number of characters.
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:35 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legot View Post
I have an idea (for a future version) that may seem a little bizarre, but hear me out.

Why not (when development for this version is exhausted, which is sometime soon) go back to the LM1881 version? What would need to be done is replace the ATmega with a higher powered ARM and redo a large amount of the coding. My reasoning behind this suggestion is that the ARM will obviously be more capable with faster speeds, more ports, more memory, etc; and using the LM1881 would allow the OSD to be based on controlling individual pixels (I'm guessing at least a 256x256 grid), rather than relying on a small number of characters.
I've considered the possibility, as it would allow an entire pixel-mapping, color output and plenty of I/O ports, memory and processing-power. But to be honest, MAX7456 can, with a little work-around, more or less do all the stuff I want.

Sure, an ARM would allow all sort of fancy graphics, but I really prefer a simple layout without too much information.

Next projects will most likely be ARM-based, but I don't plan to make an OSD this time
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:08 AM
Joined May 2012
441 Posts
Quote:
The RF Board will not be - the only thing that anyone could do with this from an open source perspective is clone it to sell themselves. Its a 4 layer impedance controlled board with almost 100 0402 parts on it. Its also done in Altium, which is an $8,000 piece of software. Basically, it's not open source or DIY friendly in any way shape or form Of the 525.7488mm of track only 41.9908mm is non-rf specific and therefore can be modified....

I'm happy to make the host boards open though, and as much as I love ARM, dennis and I decided to put an ATMega as the RF controller, so you could write your own code for it if you wanted, the programming pads are there (for pogopins)
Ascended is offline Find More Posts by Ascended
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:32 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,411 Posts
Well one could probably get Altium in a free way and as such avoid the high price tag (even in a legal way - on a university )...I'm just curious will it be possible to get just the bare pcb and a parts list, I have a few friends with reflow owens and hot air soldering stations who could build me this...Well it all depends on the price, if yours will be affordable enough to avoid the hassle..

But have to say, a very nice developement, its gonna be interesting..that guy quix from flytron has been doing something similair (assisted formation flying) using his custom openlrs modules&code combined with lm1881 ground based osd (his softw.+hardw. is also closed s.).

I'm available for beta-testing :P
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:45 AM
Joined May 2012
441 Posts
I have 0 plans of offering a bare PCB - usually I'll just get boards in straight from the assembler fully assembled. The alignment of parts, paste thickness, selection of parts, etc is all highly critical. Changing from wirewound to multilayer inductors for example gives a 3db loss over the link budget. RF Modules are not really the sort of thing you DIY Unless you have access to a 5 zone reflow oven you can easily kill the PA and RF chip - you'll get a 10-15% failure rate if the IC's are not baked before production if they are stored anywhere with humidity.

I'm currently re-working the RF module, I was about to panellise but I just cant deal with not having a RF shield on them heh. Its really really difficult to fit, but I think i can modify the board to get a shield on without changing the size. I probably need to move the 3.3V-RF regulator off to the host board though - which will make this a dual supply board (technically the atmega will be happy on 3.3v, but the 3.3v reg ont he OSD cant handle the thermal diss for the RF module + IC). I really didn't like the idea of it being on the RF module anyway, as it would heat up the PCB near the PA stage which can skew things a little. This way I can have it on the bottom of the host board and provide a huge thermal area for it to sink heat off into. The RF board will pull about 470mA @ 3.3v when at full power, so it's a decent bit of power to dump from 5v with a regulator. The regulator I have can handle it, but probably not if its under a RF shield.
Ascended is offline Find More Posts by Ascended
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:09 PM
Joined Sep 2004
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
Looks good - except for the "landing"
Thanks for posting

Have you noticed any problems? I noticed GPS/LOS drifted a bit near the trees, but luckily I can blame the GPS for that

I'll most likely move the text all the way to top and bottom as default, but that can be changed in config-menu anyway

I haven't noticed any problem, except the in air broke propeller and the GPS drift.

I think this OSD need the following for the longer flights:
cumulative mAh - average and current mAh/km
number of kilometers before mah alarm at current power use
absolute-zero is offline Find More Posts by absolute-zero
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:14 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolute-zero View Post
I haven't noticed any problem, except the in air broke propeller and the GPS drift.

I think this OSD need the following for the longer flights:
cumulative mAh - average and current mAh/km
number of kilometers before mah alarm at current power use
That should be 2 quick additions, I'll add them in next update