Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:00 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined May 2009
372 Posts
Dennis,
I want to add the features of broadcasting your callsign and gps data over rf using rfm12 modules.

I want to be able to see my wingman's location when formation flying and also for other uses like dogfight.

What's your advice on this?

I play mostly with software but do heaps of fpv , I'd appreciate a fast track on getting 2 sets of osd hardware together, to the point where i can start integrating the rfm12 modules.

Is the pcb with the atmega and max chipset for sale?
AeroM'ck'y is offline Find More Posts by AeroM'ck'y
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:12 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,574 Posts
Adding ones callsign is a great idea and a very good way to stay legal. Awesome Idea.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:02 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,820 Posts
Dennis has stated many times he is not going to be selling the components. Your best bet is to get the boards made and solder the components yourself - chinese new year is feb10 and i don't know how long they celebrate, but better get your board gerbers in before that or you will be waiting till probably sometime in march if you use a chinese board manf.

or buy some boards from somebody who already has some, then get the components inbound to you asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroM'ck'y View Post
Dennis,
I want to add the features of broadcasting your callsign and gps data over rf using rfm12 modules.

I want to be able to see my wingman's location when formation flying and also for other uses like dogfight.

I play mostly with software but do heaps of fpv , I'd appreciate a fast track on getting 2 sets of osd hardware together, to the point where i can start integrating the rfm12 modules.

bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:11 PM
Latvia, Riga
Joined May 2010
648 Posts
Quote:
Dennis,

I have also thinked about this some time ago. That could be easy with 2 serial ports. ATmega328 has 1.
kristaps_r is offline Find More Posts by kristaps_r
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:30 AM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
738 Posts
Quote:
Dennis,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4432 View Post
Dennis has stated many times he is not going to be selling the components. Your best bet is to get the boards made and solder the components yourself - chinese new year is feb10 and i don't know how long they celebrate, but better get your board gerbers in before that or you will be waiting till probably sometime in march if you use a chinese board manf.

or buy some boards from somebody who already has some, then get the components inbound to you asap.
What Bob said ^
My sparetime is already quite limited by studies, work and a lot of other projects, I simply don't have the time to sell and support products in a more professional way. A few test-boards have been shipped, but that's about it.

The PCBs costs around 1$ per piece ordered directly from Seeedstudio (minimum order is 10 pieces).
Even the shipping is minimum 2$ if I ship a PCB from Denmark. That would quickly end up being 5$ for a PCB, which is hardly worth the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristaps_r View Post
I have also thinked about this some time ago. That could be easy with 2 serial ports. ATmega328 has 1.
Yes, the standard Atmega328 is a bit limited when it comes to more advanced features and extra communication-lines. I plan to use STM32 for future projects as well. Price, speed and features is just outstanding compared to Atmega328
Dennis Frie is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:41 AM
Joined May 2012
404 Posts
Board has been updated again.

Added the MS5611 baro which is much more compact and far more accurate than the BMP085.

I was overthinking things with a black level and white level inserter for the VBI data - all that is required is white as the VBI is already black. This just requires a diode and resistor to do (assuming the vtx terminates the video correctly.)

I still have heaps of free space on the board and not much to do with it, so i made a big heatsink for the 5v regulator with mask and solder. Solder doesnt show on the 3d view, but it will be on the lines radiating out from the vreg. This helps transfer heat across the copper and also provides extra surface area for radiating heat - not that a shiny surface like solder really radiates a great deal. The heatsink plane is only on the top as I did not wish to remove the ground plane on the bottom. The height of the connectors and vreg itself will allow for some air exchange to occur even in heatshrink.

I also moved the LED away from the baro, and placed it next to the power jumper connector/camera in/out headers. This will allow it to be easily seen and not shine on the baro.

The height of the caps and inductor next to the baro allows for plenty of air flow to the ports of the baro, even with heatshrink.

The board is much bigger than i'd like, but I don't want to go double sided for components - just connectors. With a bunch of work i could shorten the board by 3mm, but it's not worth my time for such little gain. I think it will still be compact enough to be easily used.
Ascended is offline Find More Posts by Ascended
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:55 AM
Joined May 2012
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
Yes, the standard Atmega328 is a bit limited when it comes to more advanced features and extra communication-lines. I plan to use STM32 for future projects as well. Price, speed and features is just outstanding compared to Atmega328
I agree, except i'd be using a NXP part for it.STMicro havent been supplying the same level of product support that NXP and TI provide. CodeRed Studio with a LPCXpresso JTAG is a powerful combination. A LPC1754 is 80 pin, 128kb flash, 32kb of ram. It has USB Device/host, 4 UARTS, 2 I2C, 6x 12bit adc, 10bit dac (for vario/audio), NVIC, 6 general purpose PWM output timers.. basically, all the goods you need to do just about anything. Oh, and it's 100MHz push 130 or 140DMIPS (vs about 12DMIPS on the 20mhz AVR)... Its a bit bigger, but fits in a 14mm x 14mm area.

I simply don't have enough time to support software on an open source project though... too many paying clients
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:04 AM
Joined May 2012
404 Posts
Quote:
Dennis,

I've been thinking the same thing for a couple of years, its a pain trying to find my friends planes in the air some times - radar view with the on there has been something i've been waiting to see for a long time. I was thinking of using the I2C line to control a radio for sending this data out.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:30 AM
Latvia, Riga
Joined May 2010
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
Board has been updated again.

Added the MS5611 baro which is much more compact and far more accurate than the BMP085.

I was overthinking things with a black level and white level inserter for the VBI data - all that is required is white as the VBI is already black. This just requires a diode and resistor to do (assuming the vtx terminates the video correctly.)

I still have heaps of free space on the board and not much to do with it, so i made a big heatsink for the 5v regulator with mask and solder. Solder doesnt show on the 3d view, but it will be on the lines radiating out from the vreg. This helps transfer heat across the copper and also provides extra surface area for radiating heat - not that a shiny surface like solder really radiates a great deal. The heatsink plane is only on the top as I did not wish to remove the ground plane on the bottom. The height of the connectors and vreg itself will allow for some air exchange to occur even in heatshrink.

I also moved the LED away from the baro, and placed it next to the power jumper connector/camera in/out headers. This will allow it to be easily seen and not shine on the baro.

The height of the caps and inductor next to the baro allows for plenty of air flow to the ports of the baro, even with heatshrink.

The board is much bigger than i'd like, but I don't want to go double sided for components - just connectors. With a bunch of work i could shorten the board by 3mm, but it's not worth my time for such little gain. I think it will still be compact enough to be easily used.
I have also ordered prototype boards 28x38mm with a lot of components to filter analog inputs, MS5611 and place for IMU pin headers. With some free space left
Sorry, can't show you cool 3D components
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:02 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
738 Posts
Quote:
I have also ordered prototype boards 28x38mm with a lot of components to filter analog inputs, MS5611 and place for IMU pin headers. With some free space left
Looks pretty good
Guess we will a few new OpenSource OSD's flying around sooner or later
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:16 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
738 Posts
Quote:
By the way, as noticed by Ascended. PPM input is connected to PB0 for input capture instead of interrupt used earlier.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:52 AM
Latvia, Riga
Joined May 2010
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
By the way, as noticed by Ascended. PPM input is connected to PB0 for input capture instead of interrupt used earlier.
Can't remember now what was my Idea I made board very fast. Maybe I was mistaken. So many ideas, projects and job, i have a mess in my head right now and maybe I did something wrong.
Can't check myself. Will it work with some changes in code?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:33 AM
Joined May 2012
404 Posts
Pressure sensor board made.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:10 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
738 Posts
Quote:
Can't remember now what was my Idea I made board very fast. Maybe I was mistaken. So many ideas, projects and job, i have a mess in my head right now and maybe I did something wrong.
Can't check myself. Will it work with some changes in code?
Looking closer at your board, it looks like a trace is connected to PB0/input capture.

If you have connected to an interrupt it should be possible to change in the code, but you will got more "noise" on the readings.

I compared the two methods here:

One "tick" is us.

But The main problem is, that USART is running in interrupt-mode and not polling. That means you will get "noise" if an USART interrupt is triggered while PPM should be read. With input capture that's not a problem, unless you miss an entire pules.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:28 PM
DOLLA DOLLA BILL YALL
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2012
878 Posts
is there a way to get this to remove blue screen from LCD? sorry if this has been answered, i tried advanced search function.
quad007 is offline Find More Posts by quad007