Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:34 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Charlottenlund
Joined Jan 2012
1,375 Posts
test run

I powered up my soldering station and got the set-up wired. I use a brand new board from Dennis' own hand (thank you very much!), a PZ0420 camera, the Flytron 10Hz GPS unit, and a LawMate 1.2GHz 500mW VTx.

Worked at first try - The GPS searched for exactly 60 seconds, and then gave me the coordinates (edited out in the picture of my neighbor's house) of my garden

I can't wait to get it in the air. Thank you once again!
mike_o is online now Find More Posts by mike_o
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:42 AM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
I powered up my soldering station and got the set-up wired. I use a brand new board from Dennis' own hand (thank you very much!), a PZ0420 camera, the Flytron 10Hz GPS unit, and a LawMate 1.2GHz 500mW VTx.

Worked at first try - The GPS searched for exactly 60 seconds, and then gave me the coordinates (edited out in the picture of my neighbor's house) of my garden

I can't wait to get it in the air. Thank you once again!
Great to see .
well, it was about time you got an OSD to show you the way home!

When you get a chance to test it in air, please let us know how it works out. I've just mounted gyro and accelerometer ready to test artificial horizon in my plane.
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Jan 06, 2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:33 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
751 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how many have ordered PCBs/parts?

When programming with the ISP I've once experienced that a character is overwritten on MAX7456. In order to save space in the main-code and solve this, I'll include a code for character uploader in next release. That will also allow to edit the characters on MinimOSD
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:05 PM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post

When programming with the ISP I've once experienced that a character is overwritten on MAX7456. In order to save space in the main-code and solve this, I'll include a code for character uploader in next release. That will also allow to edit the characters on MinimOSD
I have a broker's license test to take tomorrow, then I'm ordering PCB's and parts! I can't wait to start learning and playing with the Arduino and it's coding. It kind of reminds me of learning HTML (way back in the day....).
tsull is offline Find More Posts by tsull
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:16 PM
Chilled and served
Sweden
Joined Mar 2005
272 Posts
Im thinking about the satelites. Instead of a delay that you program could it also or instead be made so when X satellites (user defineable) is detected it starts up?

By that way it will always start up with enough satellites so you wont have to worry about it.
Henry. is offline Find More Posts by Henry.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:23 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsull View Post
I have a broker's license test to take tomorrow, then I'm ordering PCB's and parts! I can't wait to start learning and playing with the Arduino and it's coding. It kind of reminds me of learning HTML (way back in the day....).
Sounds good. It's not exactly HTML-code, but I guess any experience with code helps a bit

Good luck with your test!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry. View Post
Im thinking about the satelites. Instead of a delay that you program could it also or instead be made so when X satellites (user defineable) is detected it starts up?

By that way it will always start up with enough satellites so you wont have to worry about it.
The delay is actually just extra time to get more accurate position. It automatic detects when the GPS have lock, waits another 5 seconds or so (to get a few meters better precision) and set home-position.

You could use number of satellites instead, but the GPS-fix is better as it also depends on the position of the satellites that have been found.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:44 PM
Chilled and served
Sweden
Joined Mar 2005
272 Posts
Ok then i got it.

Btw what is the advantage to this Mega328 - MAX7456 combo compared to the previous OSD with the LM1881 and Mega328?

As i have understood it the only advantage with this is that there is more program area left in the Mega328 due to that the MAX7456 handles all the caracters?
Old Jan 06, 2013, 06:02 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry. View Post
Ok then i got it.

Btw what is the advantage to this Mega328 - MAX7456 combo compared to the previous OSD with the LM1881 and Mega328?

As i have understood it the only advantage with this is that there is more program area left in the Mega328 due to that the MAX7456 handles all the caracters?
The overlay is a lot more stable and you can make black edge/shadow around the characters.
Furthermore MAX7456 can detect missing sync and automatic generate sync-output. in theory, this will allow you to fly home even though you loose the camera (if you use artificial horizon).

Furthermore, as MAX7456 do all the work on the overlay, I have a lot space and processing-time to play with on MAX7456.

At the moment it can handle:
- PPM input
- Serial input
- I2C communication
- Analog readings
- SPI output

And the calculations:
- All GPS calculations
- PPM channels
- 3 axis gyro + 3 axis accelerometer, calculate roll and pitch + filter (small part of headtracker project implemented)
- Pressure sensor with quite a few calculations
- Communication with MAX7456
- voltage + current
- All the other small things
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:29 PM
Chilled and served
Sweden
Joined Mar 2005
272 Posts
A lot more goodies with other words, thats great!
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:44 AM
Latvia, Riga
Joined May 2010
648 Posts
Quote:

I have thought about board with servo/motor outputs and maybe on ATMega2560. Then try to make DiyOSDWii, MultiWiiDiyOSD or MegaPirateDiyOSD
kristaps_r is offline Find More Posts by kristaps_r
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:33 AM
United States, AZ, Prescott Valley
Joined Feb 2012
178 Posts
Quote:

Dennis,
Been flying Nano version in copter!
fine tuning and experimenting with different gps and current sensors, PPM etc...... soon will be adding gyro etc ... ordered a bmp085 ..should be here any day
Rick
RickEis is offline Find More Posts by RickEis
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:41 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristaps_r View Post
I have thought about board with servo/motor outputs and maybe on ATMega2560. Then try to make DiyOSDWii, MultiWiiDiyOSD or MegaPirateDiyOSD
that would also be an exciting possibility
Just make sure to use hardware-controlled PPM outputs as timing can be a bit tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickEis View Post
Dennis,
Been flying Nano version in copter!
fine tuning and experimenting with different gps and current sensors, PPM etc...... soon will be adding gyro etc ... ordered a bmp085 ..should be here any day
Rick
Sounds great
The sensors still require some testing and tuning. I tested the artificial horizon today in a little unstable plane - but the g-force and wind makes the accelerometer readings quite difficult to use.
I need to update that part sooner or later. Working on a bit on pressure-sensor atm.
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Jan 07, 2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:48 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,401 Posts
Please post the video on youtube...even if the results are not good, its still interesting to see how things will improve
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:56 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Please post the video on youtube...even if the results are not good, its still interesting to see how things will improve
I haven't recorded the flight, it was just a quick test. But it was clearly visible, that the g-force when turning was a problem. I have updated the software a bit and need to test another day
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:43 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
751 Posts
Just did a few tests for altitude estimation with pressure sensor:
I can't really find a "light" approximation that gives an accurate result.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3947315/Pre...estimation.pdf

90 meters deviation at 2000 meter is quite a bit. Could be acceptable, but if anyone have some good suggestions please share