HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:50 AM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
558 Posts
I don't have the time to finish the last couple of things right away (exam thursday), but here is a version that should be fine for some testing.

A few quick notes..
- A lot of re-arranging is done on the characters on MAX7456 - it needs 10-20 seconds to upload the characters right after the code have been uploaded first time.

- PPM in must be connected on Arduino port 8 (digital port)

- The menu is controlled with the 2 channels selected in config-menu. The menu can only be entered while waiting for satellites/delay. This will allow the menu to be navigated with normal RC-controls while on the ground.
The menu is entered with channel end-point, and exited with opposite end-point.

- If PPM is not detected at start-up it will be disabled. This is to avoid multiple interrupts from a floating connection. It's both used as a safety and auto-detection feature, but it means that PPM-signal must be connected on boot.

EzUHF RSSI and signal-quality requires the new firmware for EzUHF. It's not calibrated yet and might be inverted.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3947315/MAX7456_OSD_v0_7.rar
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Dec 18, 2012 at 10:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:27 PM
United States, AZ, Prescott Valley
Joined Feb 2012
178 Posts
Awesome Dennis,

- Compiled first time once again !!
- Easy to read config file
- I got coords .... perfect size

Just spent a few minutes today loading things - looking forward to flying, fine tuning everything and experimenting with a few different sensors ! I ordered a flytron sensor and flytron gps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ccxukxzm6ign3j3/130957.AVI

Thanks Dennis - amazing job !

Got a few questions but I'm going to wait till after your Thursday finals

Rick
RickEis is offline Find More Posts by RickEis
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:34 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickEis View Post
Awesome Dennis,

Just spent a few minutes today loading things - looking forward to flying, fine tuning everything and experimenting with a few different sensors ! I ordered a flytron sensor and flytron gps.

Rick
Wow that was quick.
Great to see, thanks!

Just come with all the questions. I'm not really reading much for the exam anyway
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:55 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,819 Posts
looking good

Quote:
Awesome Dennis,

Rick
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:48 PM
Joined Feb 2012
178 Posts
Dennis,

My guess is, if you are studying for some computer programming class, you could probably teach it

- In the scrolling black bars (not sure what to call them? )....what is the "MA" ? Maybe it is just on my side - check it out in my video at OSD timer 1.40

- If I don't want the Summary at all right now - what settings would you suggest?

- Regarding the EzUHF Rx; We can configure our EzUHF Rx to have RSSI Needle to a particle channel (see image)
and we can do the same for Link Quality.

In your config.h you have

//===========================
// EzUHF RSSI in PPM
#define USE_EZUHF_RSSI 1

#define EZUHF_RSSI_CH 3
#define EZUHF_SIG_CH 4

#define EZUHF_RSSI_MIN 2175 //uS * 2
#define EZUHF_RSSI_MAX 3830 //uS * 2

#define EZUHF_SIG_MIN 2175 //uS * 2
#define EZUHF_SIG_MAX 3830 //uS * 2

So it appears if we want to work with this we change #define USE_EZUHF_RSSI from a "1" to a "0"...yes?
and with the ImmersionRC Tools we set our EzUHF rx RSSI needle to channel 3 and the Link Quality Needle to channel 4 to match your setting etc. (I'm assuming your SIG_CH is referring to ImmersionRC Link Quality?...yes?)

So not even knowing all I don't know, I guess I'm trying to figure how this works. - For example; How does RSSI share a channel with the throttle and we still have the ability to accelerate ...or does it .... am I missing something ?

Rick
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:33 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
558 Posts
Quote:
Dennis,

My guess is, if you are studying for some computer programming class, you could probably teach it
You'll normally find me in the power electronic department at the university, and at work it's high-power audio amplifiers

Microcontrollers etc. is mainly a side-hobby

Quote:
- In the scrolling black bars (not sure what to call them? )....what is the "MA" ? Maybe it is just on my side - check it out in my video at OSD timer 1.40
Year I noticed it..
It's just a typo in the character-address used to make the animation. It's not visible on my OSD, as I've moved the characters around more than once

It's only a visual problem and nothing to worry about, but should off course be fixed. I'll have a look at it.

Quote:
Dennis,
- If I don't want the Summary at all right now - what settings would you suggest?
Just pick some high numbers like:
// Show summary when...
///*
#define summary_speed 999 // Speed less than (in km/h)
#define summary_los 32000 // LOS less than (in meters)
#define summary_current 150 // Current less than (in amps)
#define summary_time 120 // Flight time more than (in seconds)
#define summary_altitude 999 // altitude less than (in meters)

Quote:
- Regarding the EzUHF Rx; We can configure our EzUHF Rx to have RSSI Needle to a particle channel (see image)
and we can do the same for Link Quality.

In your config.h you have

// EzUHF RSSI in PPM
#define USE_EZUHF_RSSI 1

#define EZUHF_RSSI_CH 3
#define EZUHF_SIG_CH 4

#define EZUHF_RSSI_MIN 2175 //uS * 2
#define EZUHF_RSSI_MAX 3830 //uS * 2

#define EZUHF_SIG_MIN 2175 //uS * 2
#define EZUHF_SIG_MAX 3830 //uS * 2

So it appears if we want to work with this we change #define USE_EZUHF_RSSI from a "1" to a "0"...yes?
and with the ImmersionRC Tools we set our EzUHF rx RSSI needle to channel 3 and the Link Quality Needle to channel 4 to match your setting etc. (I'm assuming your SIG_CH is referring to ImmersionRC Link Quality?...yes?)

So not even knowing all I don't know, I guess I'm trying to figure how this works. - For example; How does RSSI share a channel with the throttle and we still have the ability to accelerate ...or does it .... am I missing something ?

Rick
It should be used with the new ImmersionRC software (not released yet), where you can mix RSSI into the PPM-stream. By doing so you can read channel-information and signal-information from the PPM-stream. It's not possible with the current ImmersionRC software, but the beta should do the trick (hopefully it will be available soon)
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:56 PM
Spain.
Joined Jul 2009
303 Posts
Great Job Dennis            

May i give to you one idea??

Would be amazing if you can make work the osd for a Naza multicopter system. Using the gimbal output signals from the naza, you can get the horizont reference for make the Artificical horizon. Other thing will be great is if the osd could work with the NAZA's GPS at the same time for the osd and the Naza flight controller, so we can forget to have two gps modules, one for the osd, and other for the Naza's FC.

Were can we order your pcb??
Nosepo is offline Find More Posts by Nosepo
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:38 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,819 Posts
I believe naza is closed source? remember, Dennnis is doing all this for fun and free, if the workload gets to much then I would imagine Dennis would move onto another project that brings the fun back. You don't want to burn him out just because you don't want to buy a ~$20 6dof and second gps do you? Why don't you talk to naza and have them open their controller software? Could you implement it? You make it sound rather easy:
Quote:
Using the gimbal output signals from the naza, you can get the horizont reference for make the Artificical horizon.
bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosepo View Post
Great Job Dennis            

Would be amazing if you can make work the osd for a Naza multicopter system. Using the gimbal output signals from the naza, you can get the horizont reference for make the Artificical horizon. Other thing will be great is if the osd could work with the NAZA's GPS at the same time for the osd and the Naza flight controller, so we can forget to have two gps modules, one for the osd, and other for the Naza's FC.

Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:42 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,383 Posts
Bob he could get the mpu6050 for 6$ on ebay already on a shield..so very cheap...I agree with you Bob!

I'm just waiting for Jalves's implementation of video-telemetry to be added, then this will be my ultimate osd
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:48 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Bob he could get the mpu6050 for 6$ on ebay already on a shield..so very cheap...I agree with you Bob!

I'm just waiting for Jalves's implementation of video-telemetry to be added, then this will be my ultimate osd
mpu6050 on shield for $6 holy that is cheap, didn't know they went down that low
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:56 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,566 Posts
Naza already has their own OSD, I doubt they would allow piggybacking on their data.
But I know some that have made the hack for it and it works.
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:49 PM
Joined Feb 2012
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind View Post
Naza already has their own OSD, I doubt they would allow piggybacking on their data.
But I know some that have made the hack for it and it works.

Yes, it would be nice to fly with one gps I was going to look into it, but if someone has already done it, that would be cool to know what is what ? Shouldn't be to hard to figure.

Hmm...looks like we have a brown, yellow, orange and red wire. Do you suppose we simply tie into these and adjust the baud rate for our OSD ?

I wonder how many NAZA folks would like to use this OSD if we could just plug into the NAZA GPS? Is it possible?

Here is a site that appears to have looked into it a bit

http://rc-gadgets.net/?p=26#prettyPhoto

Rick
Last edited by RickEis; Dec 20, 2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:42 AM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
Without breaking open the NAZA gear and going directly off of the component contacts, there isn't really a good way to talk to them.

I don't believe it is possible to have an AVR talk to the CAN bus (which is what the Naza sensors connect to) without some external CAN bus ICs. IMO, it wouldn't be worth it to add compatibility with the Naza because of the protocol hacking and extra component cost/space that would be required. Especially considering that Naza isn't inherently open source, and its so expensive that most people considering this nature of OSD wouldn't go for it.
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:25 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosepo View Post
Great Job Dennis            

I don't mind to implement new features and support for "other stuff", but as mentioned, communication with Naza is not exactly straight forward.
As I don't use Naza myself, it's not something that will be done by me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4432 View Post
mpu6050 on shield for $6 holy that is cheap, didn't know they went down that low
Just received one of the cheap boards yesterday. Too many beers to actually test anything, but I'll let you know how it works out (exam well passed by the way).
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:45 AM
Spain.
Joined Jul 2009
303 Posts
Quote:
Yes, it would be nice to fly with one gps I was going to look into it, but if someone has already done it, that would be cool to know what is what ? Shouldn't be to hard to figure.

Hmm...looks like we have a brown, yellow, orange and red wire. Do you suppose we simply tie into these and adjust the baud rate for our OSD ?

I wonder how many NAZA folks would like to use this OSD if we could just plug into the NAZA GPS? Is it possible?

Here is a site that appears to have looked into it a bit

http://rc-gadgets.net/?p=26#prettyPhoto

Rick
Great find Rick   With this we can use we naza gps modules in the Dennis Open source OSD system without overcharging work to him. Ony we must config in the code the bauds and it will be working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
I don't mind to implement new features and support for "other stuff", but as mentioned, communication with Naza is not exactly straight forward.
As I don't use Naza myself, it's not something that will be done by me

Just received one of the cheap boards yesterday. Too many beers to actually test anything, but I'll let you know how it works out (exam well passed by the way).
Dennis i understand that, I agree what Bob says, if we can an AH with the 6$ Mpu6050 board, this will be the cheapest a easy way for get the Artificial Horizont.

One question, I use the Bts555 for turn on/off my multicopter and this part have a Ampere sensor built-in. Do you think i can use it for Ampere count in your OSD system?

Datasheet:
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data...n/1-bts555.pdf
Nosepo is offline Find More Posts by Nosepo
Last edited by Nosepo; Dec 21, 2012 at 06:36 AM.