Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:01 PM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickEis View Post
Dennis,

Is this exactly what you are looking for and/or is there a better place to purchase it?

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10937

Rick
Yes, that\s the sensor. Just ordered a breakout-board for testing. They are quite cheap at ebay, but not sure about the quality (around 7 dollar)
Dennis Frie is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:40 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Dennis,

Is this exactly what you are looking for and/or is there a better place to purchase it?

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10937

Rick
cdiweb.com - have ordered hundreds of sensors from them w/ no issues whatsoever
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
Last edited by bob4432; Dec 15, 2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:37 PM
United States, AZ, Prescott Valley
Joined Feb 2012
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
........ I haven't had time to test everything or clean the code, but just let me know if you need the updated version for GPS-coordinates and PPM input (if you can get a hang on the EzUHF beta software you should have RSSI, signal-quality and menu available)

Will be exciting to see it mounted on your Zephyr
Sure, I'd like to test the version with GPS-coodinates if you get time to post it. I'll see if I can get the EzUHF RSSI running also - I'd really be impressed if you got that one working too I don't know how useful RSSI really is?

And Yes, I'm sure flying the Zeph will be awesome. First I think I need to get everything calibrated and working as best as possible on the quad. Then I'll mount the same in the Zeph and go for it ! Arizona USA has some awesome sky and clouds. I just don't have many nice fields nearby like you have there to land the zeph.

I'm playing with loggers so when the Zeph is running we can log the flights to see them in Google Earth- Flytrons Ardulog keeps locking up, but the Sparkfuns Openlog seems to keep on logging forever
RickEis is offline Find More Posts by RickEis
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:06 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
825 Posts
Quote:
Sure, I'd like to test the version with GPS-coodinates if you get time to post it. I'll see if I can get the EzUHF RSSI running also - I'd really be impressed if you got that one working too I don't know how useful RSSI really is?

And Yes, I'm sure flying the Zeph will be awesome. First I think I need to get everything calibrated and working as best as possible on the quad. Then I'll mount the same in the Zeph and go for it ! Arizona USA has some awesome sky and clouds. I just don't have many nice fields nearby like you have there to land the zeph.

I'm playing with loggers so when the Zeph is running we can log the flights to see them in Google Earth- Flytrons Ardulog keeps locking up, but the Sparkfuns Openlog seems to keep on logging forever
I don't have the new EzUHF firmware, so I haven't been able to actually test if it works or not. But I would be surprised if it doesn't work (it's tested with a normal PPM signal).
But the reading might be inverted (0 = full signal and 100 = no signal), but that's a quick fix if that's the case.

It can show both RSSI and signal indication, so you should be able to get a good idea about the signal.

The new software also allows calibration of current-sensor, voltage etc. to be done in the menu with your transmitter. Should make it easier just to calibrate everything when it's mounted in a plane or similar.

Auto-detection of PPM, pressure-sensor etc. is also pretty much done. That means it will just automatic detect what's connected and show the info (can't be done with voltage and current). When done, you just leave everythin on in the config and it will automatic detect the sensors on start-up.
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Dec 16, 2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:30 PM
Joined Jan 2010
51 Posts
Quote:
That should be right and the same settings as used in the config-file

65 A / 100 A = 65 % of max reading .
5 v * 0.65 = 3.25 volt, which is pretty close to 3.3 volt, which some devices uses as logic. Do you have a link to the current-sensor used?
Dennis,

This is the current sensor I'm using.
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=314

Voltage is showing OK, but the current is not registering. I get 0.0A reading at full throttle and power off. I may have a defective sensor. I may pick one up from flytron to test.
Flying Munkee is offline Find More Posts by Flying Munkee
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:41 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Munkee View Post
Dennis,

This is the current sensor I'm using.
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=314

Voltage is showing OK, but the current is not registering. I get 0.0A reading at full throttle and power off. I may have a defective sensor. I may pick one up from flytron to test.
I don't know the sensor used for DragonOSD, but it sounds like it's made for 3.3 volt system and inverted output.

It's a quick change in the code, but as it's not the behavior of normal current sensors, it's not something that I'll implement as an option.

But if you want to use that current-sensor, just let me know and I'll have a quick look and tell you what to change in the code (should be pretty simple).
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:20 AM
Joined Jan 2010
51 Posts
Quote:
I don't know the sensor used for DragonOSD, but it sounds like it's made for 3.3 volt system and inverted output.

It's a quick change in the code, but as it's not the behavior of normal current sensors, it's not something that I'll implement as an option.

But if you want to use that current-sensor, just let me know and I'll have a quick look and tell you what to change in the code (should be pretty simple).
Thanks Dennis.

If you don't mind and you have the time that would be awesome. I know your a busy guy and I don't want to impose. If not, no worries... I plan on purchasing a Flytron unit soon anyways.

Thanks again for all your work on this awesome OSD!
Flying Munkee is offline Find More Posts by Flying Munkee
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:32 PM
Chilled and served
Sweden
Joined Mar 2005
287 Posts
I canīt understad where you find the time do to all this.

By the way: Would it be possible to do an implementation so you could change the position of any measurement to wherever you want (at the outer rim) and delete whichever measurement you donīt want?
Henry. is offline Find More Posts by Henry.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:44 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry. View Post

By the way: Would it be possible to do an implementation so you could change the position of any measurement to wherever you want (at the outer rim) and delete whichever measurement you donīt want?
remzibi has that. i think Dennis is going for a more simple setup from the reading I have done of his.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:53 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,412 Posts
Quote:
When done, you just leave everythin on in the config and it will automatic detect the sensors on start-up.
Already have bmp085 and mpu6050 on my wish list on ebay
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:06 PM
United States, AZ, Prescott Valley
Joined Feb 2012
178 Posts
Quote:
I don't have the new EzUHF firmware, so I haven't been able to actually test if it works or not. But I would be surprised if it doesn't work (it's tested with a normal PPM signal).
But the reading might be inverted (0 = full signal and 100 = no signal), but that's a quick fix if that's the case.

It can show both RSSI and signal indication, so you should be able to get a good idea about the signal.

The new software also allows calibration of current-sensor, voltage etc. to be done in the menu with your transmitter. Should make it easier just to calibrate everything when it's mounted in a plane or similar.

Auto-detection of PPM, pressure-sensor etc. is also pretty much done. That means it will just automatic detect what's connected and show the info (can't be done with voltage and current). When done, you just leave everythin on in the config and it will automatic detect the sensors on start-up.
Dennis,
Are these things in MAX7456_OSD_v0_05.rar?
Thanks,
Rick
RickEis is offline Find More Posts by RickEis
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:09 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Munkee View Post
Thanks Dennis.

If you don't mind and you have the time that would be awesome. I know your a busy guy and I don't want to impose. If not, no worries... I plan on purchasing a Flytron unit soon anyways.

Thanks again for all your work on this awesome OSD!
No worries at all, I just need to whine a little now and then when I'm too busy
Just got home from another 13 hours of work, I'll tell you what to change tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry. View Post

Don' really have the time, yet, here I am

At the moment it's not really coded to be easy customizable (as in everything can be moved around individually) but GPS, voltage, current and sensors can be turned on/off individually. It doesn't require much work to make everything customizable, but unless that's a general "wish", it's not something I planned to add.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:20 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4432 View Post
remzibi has that. i think Dennis is going for a more simple setup from the reading I have done of his.
Yup, pretty much. It's flexible to a certain degree in regard to sensors, add-ons etc. but custom layouts haven't really been in focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Already have bmp085 and mpu6050 on my wish list on ebay
Even before the code have been tested for real
Sounds good!

Quote:
Dennis,
Are these things in MAX7456_OSD_v0_05.rar?
Thanks,
Rick
No, they are only implemented in the newest version, which haven't been uploaded yet.
The new version have quite a few changes.. Can't really remember them all, but something like:
- PPM input
- EzUHF RSSI
- Small numbers
- GPS coordinates
- Improved artificial horizon code (no sensor-support yet)
- updated BMP085
- Auto detect PPM, BMP085
- Selectable voltage-sensor, current-sensor and GPS (on/off)
- Menu
- calibration values, alarm etc. saved in EEPROM and available on menu
- Temperature (from BMP085)
(add all the things i've forgotten here ,- ,- ,- ,- ,-).
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:38 PM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
Quote:
- Improved artificial horizon code (no sensor-support yet)
Sorry for asking you to do even more, but when you add sensor support please include the option of using either analog or digital sensors as most of the older accelerometers and gyros are still analog, and many of the newest digital ones seem to be less accurate than the analog.
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:45 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legot View Post
Sorry for asking you to do even more, but when you add sensor support please include the option of using either analog or digital sensors as most of the older accelerometers and gyros are still analog, and many of the newest digital ones seem to be less accurate than the analog.
you guys sure do ask a lot from a guy who is doing all this for free. for $15-$30 you can get a 9dof bob that will work just fine using digital sensor, give the guy a break besides you are going to be looking through the osd and seeing what you are flying, not like you are flying instruments only...