SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:55 AM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshotcopter View Post
We need a Thumbs up system here! Kudos there Dennis!
Thanks
I just need the MPU6050 (accelerometer+gyro), last print design and it should be ready for some proper testing.
Dennis Frie is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:39 AM
United States, AZ, Prescott Valley
Joined Feb 2012
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
Nothing really exciting, just a quick update on the artificial horizon and barometer.
Temperature is also added, it's being read from BMP085 at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY0hL...ature=youtu.be
Very cool Dennis !!!!! Maybe I'm missing something but I don't know how this could be any better !!!

For those interested in this hobby, I am thinking this is really exciting !!!

It is an amazing open source OSD that is easy enough for even me to build from off the shelf components. And if one wants, they can even purchase a board and solder the individual components themselves ~
If someone wants a specific function or sensor ~ it most likely has the room and capability to add it for those willing to learn !!!
How can it get better ?

I ordered the same sets of sensors you have. I plan to continue to calibrate everything perfectly on the quad then copy the system for the ZepherII.

Dennis you need to have a donate button to make it easy for us willing to donate to your efforts!!!

I think we are all very fortunate that we have one with your knowledge, skills and abilities doing this type of thing. We don't want it to be a hassle or bummer for you to do this work ~ and I'm thinking if folks like myself donated a little here and there as we can, it will keep it fun for you and you might continue to build more of and maintain these awesome things.

I considered purchasing one of the two larger OSD's on the market today. But when I saw your DIY Open source work and how you handled your projects and the interested folks, I knew this was what I was looking for. By the way both these other OSD's were nearly $200 each.

So please put up a donate button -

And this may sound dumb and of no interest to you, but maybe you could consider your own web site. Even with the few projects you have, I think I would be a frequent visitor. And then I know this is really controversial, but I think you could have a few google adds just to help fund the site (hosting etc.) and keep a little income coming in to keep it fun for you. I certainly don't mind seeing one or two adds while I am looking at things of interest.

I know this works - check this out - http://iconverticons.com/online/ this silly little add more then pays for the hosting etc for the web site and obviously if it is done right it does not turn off the viewers (almost 6000 visits today ) Mathew is one of my sons, so I know this is fun and helps fund his hobbies and interests.

And for me as a future FPV'r, I would be very interested in following your work and hobby - I'm interested in seeing others use this OSD. I'm interested in others going over your code and possibly making recommendations etc, -

~ just some thoughts - run with them or not

And thanks again,

Rick
RickEis is offline Find More Posts by RickEis
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:50 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickEis View Post
Very cool Dennis !!!!! Maybe I'm missing something but I don't know how this could be any better !!!

For those interested in this hobby, I am thinking this is really exciting !!!

It is an amazing open source OSD that is easy enough for even me to build from off the shelf components. And if one wants, they can even purchase a board and solder the individual components themselves ~
If someone wants a specific function or sensor ~ it most likely has the room and capability to add it for those willing to learn !!!
How can it get better ?

I ordered the same sets of sensors you have. I plan to continue to calibrate everything perfectly on the quad then copy the system for the ZepherII.

Dennis you need to have a donate button to make it easy for us willing to donate to your efforts!!!

I think we are all very fortunate that we have one with your knowledge, skills and abilities doing this type of thing. We don't want it to be a hassle or bummer for you to do this work ~ and I'm thinking if folks like myself donated a little here and there as we can, it will keep it fun for you and you might continue to build more of and maintain these awesome things.

I considered purchasing one of the two larger OSD's on the market today. But when I saw your DIY Open source work and how you handled your projects and the interested folks, I knew this was what I was looking for. By the way both these other OSD's were nearly $200 each.

So please put up a donate button -

And this may sound dumb and of no interest to you, but maybe you could consider your own web site. Even with the few projects you have, I think I would be a frequent visitor. And then I know this is really controversial, but I think you could have a few google adds just to help fund the site (hosting etc.) and keep a little income coming in to keep it fun for you. I certainly don't mind seeing one or two adds while I am looking at things of interest.

I know this works - check this out - http://iconverticons.com/online/ this silly little add more then pays for the hosting etc for the web site and obviously if it is done right it does not turn off the viewers (almost 6000 visits today ) Mathew is one of my sons, so I know this is fun and helps fund his hobbies and interests.

And for me as a future FPV'r, I would be very interested in following your work and hobby - I'm interested in seeing others use this OSD. I'm interested in others going over your code and possibly making recommendations etc, -

~ just some thoughts - run with them or not

And thanks again,

Rick
Hi Rick
Thanks for the comments and ideas.
A donate-button have been mentioned before and it might be a fine idea, for those willing to donate a beer or two

Another idea to keep the project updated, is something simple like:
- If you need a specific sensor implemented, you buy me the sensor and I'll update the code. Could be a way to do it for those not too familiar with programming etc.

The current code have been updated quite a bit compared to the one available at google code. I haven't had time to test everything or clean the code, but just let me know if you need the updated version for GPS-coordinates and PPM input (if you can get a hang on the EzUHF beta software you should have RSSI, signal-quality and menu available)

Will be exciting to see it mounted on your Zephyr
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:52 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
How do one go about having a board manufactured having the Eagle file at-hand?
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:54 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
816 Posts
Quote:
How do one go about having a board manufactured having the Eagle file at-hand?
I'll upload a zip-file containing all the necessary files.

You just go to Seeedstudio, batchPCB or similiar, upload the files and order. It's really that simple.
At Seeedstudio it's something like 14$ with shipping for 10 PCB's. Really cheap

In regard to how you export the gerber-files etc. from Eagle I can't help as I use Altium.

You can get the gerber-files now if you want, but as the design haven't been verified I can't guarantee anything.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:03 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
Quote:
I'll upload a zip-file containing all the necessary files.

You just go to Seeedstudio, batchPCB or similiar, upload the files and order. It's really that simple.
At Seeedstudio it's something like 14$ with shipping for 10 PCB's. Really cheap

In regard to how you export the gerber-files etc. from Eagle I can't help as I use Altium.

You can get the gerber-files now if you want, but as the design haven't been verified I can't guarantee anything.
Wow!!!!!
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:04 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
816 Posts
Quote:
Wow!!!!!
Exactly.
By far the cheapest place I've found, but BatchPCB, OSHpark etc. is not that bad either.

BatchPCB offers a DRC-check and both OSHpark and BatchPCB have some visual of your gerber-files.

If you can solder the parts yourself, the necessary components is quite limited and not too expensive.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:10 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
I just happened to be good at soldering. Hooray!!!
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:11 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
816 Posts
Quote:
Sounds good, hope we'll see your build sooner or later
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:17 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
816 Posts
Quote:
Feel free to play around. If you upload at batchPCB you can see all the layers etc.

You can also download a gerber-viewer like gerbv etc.

Please note, on batchPCB the file called .GM1 will be detected as toplayer. It should be changed to outline.

This is the latest design, but not verified.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:41 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
816 Posts
I've added a donate button on first post. It's really meant as a free project and not anything meant to give an income. But off course it's always nice to get some of the expenses covered, and see that the project is being appreciated.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:03 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,820 Posts
are you putting the mpu6050 & bmp085 on the osd or connecting it via i2c?
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:17 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,820 Posts
for the US people, oshpark is probably going to be faster as they are up in Oregon. good quality stuff, have probably can't even remember how many board projects i have had made from them. $5 sq in, but 6/6 spacing and enig finish w/ a purple soldermask.
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:36 PM
United States, AZ, Prescott Valley
Joined Feb 2012
178 Posts
Quote:
Thanks
I just need the MPU6050 (accelerometer+gyro), last print design and it should be ready for some proper testing.
Dennis,

Is this exactly what you are looking for and/or is there a better place to purchase it?

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10937

Rick
RickEis is offline Find More Posts by RickEis
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:58 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4432 View Post
are you putting the mpu6050 & bmp085 on the osd or connecting it via i2c?
It would be nice to mount the sensors directly on the board, but for now I'll leave it all as external sensors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4432 View Post
for the US people, oshpark is probably going to be faster as they are up in Oregon. good quality stuff, have probably can't even remember how many board projects i have had made from them. $5 sq in, but 6/6 spacing and enig finish w/ a purple soldermask.
Yes, OSHpark is also a good choice, but in my case the delivery/time was a lot faster from BatchPCB and Seeedstudio, but I\ve only ordered from them once.
Left is from OSHpark