HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:54 PM
Registered User
United States, AZ, Prescott Valley
Joined Feb 2012
178 Posts
Hi Dennis,

No hurry - maybe after your finals - you could look/reply to this?

I'm thinking about getting another GPS for testing and for a ZepherII that I am working on.

It appears you buy from Flytron, so I thought you might know about these and if they would work well with your OSD?

1) http://www.flytron.com/osd-headtrack...ps-module.html
2) http://www.flytron.com/sensors/180-i...nd-others.html

Maybe you would recommend another?

Also, this looks like a nice flying field near you (see photo) ~ have you been to it?
(the signs are bent cause it is Googles Street View)

Thanks,

Rick
RickEis is offline Find More Posts by RickEis
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:57 PM
Just another user
Dennis Frie's Avatar
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Munkee View Post
Got it!

Had to re-flash the GPS to use 38400. I now have lock!

Now to figure out why my current is reading 65 amps since the update to .05
What input do you use on Arduino?
It should match the number set in the config-file for the current-sensor.

Also, what value do you use as CUR_GAIN? With the default 0.24 you can't get a current-reading at 65 amps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tang0au View Post
Are there plans to make this available as a 'to purchase' product from somewhere like seedstudio ? with all components mounted ?

Cheers
I've considered a few options, but time is really a limiting factor at the moment.
I could have:
- made it closed source and earned some bucks on hardware and software (but I really care little about sale, I prefer to develop and if possible get paid)
- kept it to myself and saved some time on the code etc. (but that would be waste of code and time)
- Make it all Opensource and freely available (but that would again be a lot of work that I don't earn a cent on).

I've chosen to go with the last option, mainly to give some descent alternatives to all the closed-source software/hardware already available. It would be great if some hardware was available to make the project easy available to everyone - but I just have to face, that I don't have the time. I just completed 3-week course in 3-4 days with a friend and I just got home from 12-hours of work (14 hours with transport). Time to sleep and code haven't exactly been overwhelming lately. Not to complain at all - just saying that it would be difficult to find time for support etc.

But I like the idea and if anyone is willing to "take the lead" on a production-run, I'll support it as much as possible and also be willing to make some further improvements, to make it as user-friendly as possible.
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Dec 13, 2012 at 04:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:03 PM
Just another user
Dennis Frie's Avatar
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickEis View Post
Hi Dennis,

No hurry - maybe after your finals - you could look/reply to this?

I'm thinking about getting another GPS for testing and for a ZepherII that I am working on.

It appears you buy from Flytron, so I thought you might know about these and if they would work well with your OSD?

1) http://www.flytron.com/osd-headtrack...ps-module.html
2) http://www.flytron.com/sensors/180-i...nd-others.html

Maybe you would recommend another?

Also, this looks like a nice flying field near you (see photo) ~ have you been to it?
(the signs are bent cause it is Googles Street View)

Thanks,

Rick
Hi Rick
The 2 GPS-devices you link is the exact same unit. But the navigatron is for I2C communication, and can't be used with this code.

The 40$ GPS from Flytron is the one I have been using. But I gotta admit that I haven't tested many different GPS units. i've just had really good success with that one and haven't felt it was necessary to change.

And I have to ask. Where the heck did you found that flying-site? From my GPS-coordinates? Cool
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:08 PM
Just another user
Dennis Frie's Avatar
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickEis View Post

Also, this looks like a nice flying field near you (see photo) ~ have you been to it?
(the signs are bent cause it is Googles Street View)

Thanks,

Rick
Last 5 seconds of this:
Above the clouds (3 min 35 sec)


Recognize the sign?

But I also fly from a few other sites.. This one is great too:
Wing cam II - quick test (2 min 6 sec)
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:14 PM
Registered User
bob4432's Avatar
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
Last 5 seconds of this:
https://vimeo.com/32287980

Recognize the sign?

But I also fly from a few other sites.. This one is great too:
https://vimeo.com/52334069
whoa, now that is cyber stalking
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:27 PM
Registered User
United States, AZ, Prescott Valley
Joined Feb 2012
178 Posts
Dennis,

Yes, I recognize the sign! Very cool, ha I didn't realize that was the path of your final approach.

And yes, the second flying site also looks very cool as does your flying. I'm looking forward to getting my ZepherII up there too. So, what are the coordinates of this second field ?

You say,"....... if anyone is willing to "take the lead" on a production-run, I'll support it as much as possible and also be willing to make some further improvements, to make it as user-friendly as possible."

I'm sure you know exactly what the main steps look like to “take the lead' and finish an initial production run. Maybe if or when your done with finals, and you have a few moments, you could list these main steps so we could see what is involved.

Thanks again for all you have done.

Rick
RickEis is offline Find More Posts by RickEis
Last edited by RickEis; Dec 13, 2012 at 09:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:00 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2010
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
What input do you use on Arduino?
It should match the number set in the config-file for the current-sensor.

Also, what value do you use as CUR_GAIN? With the default 0.24 you can't get a current-reading at 65 amps.
I followed the pinout on the pic that Rick posted.
A0 --> Voltage
A1 --> RSSI
A2 --> Current sensor

I'm using a 100A sensor and using .98 gain. I'm getting a 65amp reading with little to no current draw.

Thanks again Dennis... I know your a busy guy.
Flying Munkee is offline Find More Posts by Flying Munkee
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:46 PM
Just another user
Dennis Frie's Avatar
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Munkee View Post
I followed the pinout on the pic that Rick posted.
A0 --> Voltage
A1 --> RSSI
A2 --> Current sensor

I'm using a 100A sensor and using .98 gain. I'm getting a 65amp reading with little to no current draw.

Thanks again Dennis... I know your a busy guy.
That should be right and the same settings as used in the config-file

65 A / 100 A = 65 % of max reading .
5 v * 0.65 = 3.25 volt, which is pretty close to 3.3 volt, which some devices uses as logic. Do you have a link to the current-sensor used?
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:54 PM
Just another user
Dennis Frie's Avatar
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickEis View Post
Dennis,

Yes, I recognize the sign! Very cool, ha I didn't realize that was the path of your final approach.

And yes, the second flying site also looks very cool as does your flying. I'm looking forward to getting my ZepherII up there too. So, what are the coordinates of this second field ?

You say,"....... if anyone is willing to "take the lead" on a production-run, I'll support it as much as possible and also be willing to make some further improvements, to make it as user-friendly as possible."

I'm sure you know exactly what the main steps look like to “take the lead' and finish an initial production run. Maybe if or when your done with finals, and you have a few moments, you could list these main steps so we could see what is involved.

Thanks again for all you have done.

Rick
It's not exactly the final path - but the nearby field is great to fly from, as it's far away from pretty much everything.

Your Zephyr 2 should be a great plane. I have quite a few planes around, but really prefer my flying wings. They are just great for all-around.
Multirotors are great too, but the flying-time is just a bit limited.

In regard to production etc. for a final product - I will not take this project any further than this. All gerber-files etc. will be available if anyone is interested, but that's about it.

The latest PCB-design have been shipped and should arrive in a few weeks.
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:05 PM
Registered User
United States, AZ, Prescott Valley
Joined Feb 2012
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post

All gerber-files etc. will be available if anyone is interested, but that's about it.

The latest PCB-design have been shipped and should arrive in a few weeks.
Yes, I am very interested in the files and very cool about the PCB design -

And Yes, I would like to put one together I will make a stab at the parts list for review by one more knowledgeable then myself. Then I'd like to test my soldering skills. It will be a good test - if I can build one .... anybody can

Thanks again Dennis
RickEis is offline Find More Posts by RickEis
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:09 PM
Just another user
Dennis Frie's Avatar
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickEis View Post
Yes, I am very interested in the files and very cool about the PCB design -

And Yes, I would like to put one together I will make a stab at the parts list for review by one more knowledgeable then myself. Then I'd like to test my soldering skills. It will be a good test - if I can build one .... anybody can

Thanks again Dennis
I'll update the part-list when the new design have been verified and release the gerber-files etc. But it's not very different from the components listed last time.

The pressure sensor was more or less implemented a few days ago, but I'm not quite habby with the default I2C library (wire) used by Arduino.
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:19 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2010
2,383 Posts
Yo D.! So the pcb design with ISP-headers is already in production and you are awaiting arrival? Cool.
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:22 PM
Just another user
Dennis Frie's Avatar
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Yo D.! So the pcb design with ISP-headers is already in production and you are awaiting arrival? Cool.
Yup, they should have been shipped today or something like that
But it usually takes a while before they arrive.
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:35 AM
Just another user
Dennis Frie's Avatar
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
558 Posts
Nothing really exciting, just a quick update on the artificial horizon and barometer.
Temperature is also added, it's being read from BMP085 at the moment.

Quick OSD update (0 min 31 sec)
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:37 AM
Registered User
rimshotcopter's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,520 Posts
We need a Thumbs up system here! Kudos there Dennis!
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! OSD version UNKNOWN and fail to update (error) dROb Eagle Tree Systems 9 May 16, 2012 05:12 PM
Sold EASY OSD (Version 1.2) Brand New . $75 shipped. LHTPlane FPV Equipment (FS/W) 7 Mar 20, 2012 10:45 PM
For Sale MAX7456 OSD Break out board. ziomatrixacs FPV Equipment (FS/W) 4 Jun 18, 2011 03:50 PM