Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickEis View Post
Dennis,
Yep, when do you stop ?
The attraction is open source and simplicity. Soon it will be so complicated nobody will be able to touch it !
I'm sure whatever you do will be awesome ..... keep on going !
looking forward to taking it for a spin
Rick
It should be pretty easy to understand most of the code - and at least all the settings in the config-file. If anything is not clear just let me know.

Simplicity and all the features you guys need just don't play well together. But hey, the hardware is simple /and the code is really not that bad)
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Last edited by Dennis Frie; Dec 09, 2012 at 04:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:09 AM
crashology student
Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2008
116 Posts
" /and the code is really not that bad)"

Dennis, your BASIC SETTINGS code is so clear and readable that even I could understand it. Would that all code be presented be in such an organized manner. Many thanks for all your efforts in this and your other DIY threads ... you are appreciated.
rshep is offline Find More Posts by rshep
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:22 AM
United States, AZ, Prescott Valley
Joined Feb 2012
178 Posts
Dennis,

It appears the price is coming down a bit for these guys! free shipping

http://www.embeddedadventures.com/ba..._mod-1009.html

If I am reading correctly, this site discusses a 10 cm vertical resolution with the MS5611?

The sparkfun site, in the comments, appear to be pointing to a 1.6 meter resolution for the BMP085.

Does that sound right?

Rick
RickEis is offline Find More Posts by RickEis
Last edited by RickEis; Dec 10, 2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:10 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,820 Posts
if you are going to build Dennis's OSD why not build your own baro board too? hell, make everything you need from now on Also, those white ms5611-01ba01 units were eol'd by measurement specialties some time ago to in favor of the ms5611-01ba03 - the ones w/ the metal cap. not sure if it make a difference or not as i haven't compared the 2 ds back to back, i just have always got the ms5611-01ba03 units, they are ~$12/ea in small qty, the bmp085 is ~$8 and the bmp180 is ~$5.

i would think that a bmp085/bmp180 is more accurate than 5', not 10cm but not 4'. i know when i have moved my bmp180 bobs up and down there is a change in the mw gui, but i couldn't tell the exact accuracy as for me a couple feet is good enough. also averaging can be applied. don't get too caught up in the ds specs vs realworld actuality.

also, order the 7, 6 & 4 piece tweezer set - http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...sult?q=tweezer (you end up loosing one at the worst time, and the 6 piece is larger, good for soldering wires so you don't have to burn your fingers.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1553122 - piece of cake to design & build

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickEis View Post
Dennis,

It appears the price is coming down a bit for these guys! free shipping

http://www.embeddedadventures.com/ba..._mod-1009.html

If I am reading correctly, this site discusses a 10 cm vertical resolution with the MS5611?

The sparkfun site, in the comments, appear to be pointing to a 1.6 meter resolution for the BMP085.

Does that sound right?

Rick
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:38 AM
Chilled and served
Sweden
Joined Mar 2005
287 Posts
When i discovered this thread i jumped high of happyness.

But when i saw this:

(RTH is not gonna be done)

I started to cry like a baby.

When the 328 is almost empty this time since the lack of controlling the LM1881 so for me it would have been more then enough if the OSD only controlled throttle, yaw and maybe roll where you could set the deviation for these in say 128 steps for max movement in both direction. Then it would turn until the nose pointed to the starting point where it went back to no deviation but throttle was still the same for plane and throttle and forward for a quad.

All this without any sensors and gyros and then just connect the 328 outputs directly to the right channels but maybe with a diode on each channel from the Rx so the signals from the OSD wouldn´t mess with the Rx in anyway. Just solder the wires straight to the 328 pads.

It would be a very simple RTH but working quite good. Yes it would need the plane or quad to be quite leveled to work when put it on with a signal on the Tx but as I see it so would it be much better to at least have a chance of getting it home then guaranteed crashing or totally loosing the aircraft which otherwise would absolutely have been the case.

Something like this would have been totally enough for at least me.

Make it under a "use of our own risk only" license or so and a 1 and 0 for turning it on in the code.
Henry. is offline Find More Posts by Henry.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:15 AM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry. View Post
When i discovered this thread i jumped high of happyness.

But when i saw this:

(RTH is not gonna be done)

I started to cry like a baby.

When the 328 is almost empty this time since the lack of controlling the LM1881 so for me it would have been more then enough if the OSD only controlled throttle, yaw and maybe roll where you could set the deviation for these in say 128 steps for max movement in both direction. Then it would turn until the nose pointed to the starting point where it went back to no deviation but throttle was still the same for plane and throttle and forward for a quad.

All this without any sensors and gyros and then just connect the 328 outputs directly to the right channels but maybe with a diode on each channel from the Rx so the signals from the OSD wouldn´t mess with the Rx in anyway. Just solder the wires straight to the 328 pads.

It would be a very simple RTH but working quite good. Yes it would need the plane or quad to be quite leveled to work when put it on with a signal on the Tx but as I see it so would it be much better to at least have a chance of getting it home then guaranteed crashing or totally loosing the aircraft which otherwise would absolutely have been the case.

Something like this would have been totally enough for at least me.

Make it under a "use of our own risk only" license or so and a 1 and 0 for turning it on in the code.
Not to be rude, but a RTH-function that enables throttle and control rudder only based on GPS? You have no way to determine if the plane is rolling, diving etc.

While it might be possible on a very stable plane, well trimmed on a calm day, it's really not a solution I would ever rely on. All controls etc. must be going through the OSD and the chances of a bad connection etc. compared to the chance of the RTH-system ever returning your plane - well...

If you have an accelerometer and a gyro available - now that's something completely different, but also an entire different project.

You should look at some of the multirotor-controllers at HK. With a bunch of sensors and an Atmega328 it should be perfect if you wanna play a little with some RTH-code.
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:53 PM
Chilled and served
Sweden
Joined Mar 2005
287 Posts
a RTH-function that enables throttle and control rudder only based on GPS? You have no way to determine if the plane is rolling, diving etc.

Absolutely true so I thought more as a very simple RTH like when the aircraft is leveled and you still have a little control for example extreme how long away you could go but you have gone a little to far out so you are guessing that you might loose the signal only just by turning, nothing more.

That type of very simple RTH, absolutely not a full blown: "You have lost all control and video and don’t have the slightest clue where it is and it is going down to ground in 200mph RTH".

Only simple so when you activate it could do like this:

1. "Put rudder and aileron in xx degree angle (depending on which direction it heading compared to Home and a user setting determined how many degree the rudder and ailerons should be in) and throttle in one position until nose point to Home then 0 degree on everything or to a predefine value on rudder, aileron and throttle.

2. "If pointing away from Home then goto 1"

That type of very simple RTH.

If put in the right right degree of angles for the controls so only slight movements it would come home as far its quite levelled and its not too windy.

So not advanced at all and thus "use of own risc" type.

I will look elsewhere as well for some hopefully free DIY RTH function, it has to be out there somewhere.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:17 PM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
^
I don't feel that this solution would be safe or reliable to any degree. It doesn't take into account winds or anything else that could be going wrong at the time. IMO, it will all just make the plane harder to find once it crashes. There is a very high chance (I can't speak for Denis) that there won't be an Autopilot added to this specific project ever.

A full Autopilot/OSD is not really the goal of this project, and the only way to effectively do what you're proposing is to design a system as an Autopilot with an OSD added, rather than an OSD with an Autopilot added.

Adding complexity to things only makes things worse if they are not implemented correctly and with purpose.
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:23 PM
Chilled and served
Sweden
Joined Mar 2005
287 Posts
It would be safer then nothing at all as i see it i cant se why it would be worse and any wind reaction would have been worse if no control was involved at all and just let a plane float totally by it self wihtout any controls what so ever. For me it would be better to use something then nothing and at least have maybe a small chance to get it home since even a simple type RTH was trying then instead of nothing what so ever when any wind then really could take it anywhere. And as i mentioned it should be used under certain circumstances like in a quite calm day and such to be more safe.

You could have implemented gyros for roll and rudder as well (directly to rudder and such not OSD) and that should have helped some to at least wind.

Yes i know that it might not be implemented at all due to the complexity for a real RTH and that was the reason that i made an easier example then a advanced one since it was not needed but a simpler one but then only be used under certain circumstances.

A full fledge Autopilot was not the question here at all only a very simplified one, nothing else.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:33 PM
United States, AZ
Joined May 2010
1,820 Posts
I would agree w / Legit and Dennis - an autopilot needs to be primary. I think Dennis is doing an excellent job w / it, especially considering his schedule. I feel a static autopilot would reflect poorly on this excellent OSD.
bob4432 is offline Find More Posts by bob4432
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:38 PM
Joined Jan 2010
51 Posts
Dennis,

Is there a way to get this to communicate with a GPS at 115200?

I can't seem to get any locks, but I can if the GPS is connected to u-center or similar.

Also, did the code change pins for RSSI and current readings?

Thanks again for all of this.
Flying Munkee is offline Find More Posts by Flying Munkee
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:47 PM
Portugal
Joined Mar 2004
2,637 Posts
try change this line in the code to 115200:

#define BAUD 9600

But you should see in the ublox documentation the code statement to change the baudrate and change this lines accordingly in the functions.cpp, function initGPS() for the ublox:

// Set baud-rate to 38400
unsigned char GPS_baud[]={"$PMTK251,38400*27"};
unsigned char GPS_init2[]={13};
unsigned char GPS_init3[]={10};
jalves is online now Find More Posts by jalves
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:24 PM
Joined Jan 2010
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalves View Post
try change this line in the code to 115200:

#define BAUD 9600

But you should see in the ublox documentation the code statement to change the baudrate and change this lines accordingly in the functions.cpp, function initGPS() for the ublox:

// Set baud-rate to 38400
unsigned char GPS_baud[]={"$PMTK251,38400*27"};
unsigned char GPS_init2[]={13};
unsigned char GPS_init3[]={10};
Thanks Jalves.

I made your recommended changes and I'm still not getting any locks. I've tried switching the Tx Rx around as well in case I had it wired incorrectly. No luck there either...

I'm not giving up yet!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:18 PM
Joined Jan 2010
51 Posts
Got it!

Had to re-flash the GPS to use 38400. I now have lock!

Now to figure out why my current is reading 65 amps since the update to .05
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:57 PM
Joined Dec 2012
35 Posts
Are there plans to make this available as a 'to purchase' product from somewhere like seedstudio ? with all components mounted ?

Cheers
Tang0au is offline Find More Posts by Tang0au