HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2014, 11:48 AM
Joined Mar 2013
58 Posts
Thanks dennis for your quick reply, I powered it up today and noticed that on start up it says "no gps".

My gps is this one: https://store.3drobotics.com/product...x-with-compass Its a ublox LEA-6H module.

How should i set it up? I have downloaded U center (V8,10) but am unsure on how to connect the GPS to the computer and what settings to change... Any help would be great.

I have a FTDI cable and a USBtinyISP.

Kind Regards
cooke86 is offline Find More Posts by cooke86
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2014, 01:47 PM
Chilled and served
Sweden
Joined Mar 2005
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
Your connections are correct
The RX on the GPS is used to configure the GPS for correct NMEA-strings and 10Hz update-rate on start-up, at least for the flytron GPS.
That would thus not work for the PA6B GPS module? 10Hz would have been sweet and yes it supports it.
Henry. is offline Find More Posts by Henry.
Old Mar 02, 2014, 01:51 PM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry. View Post
That would thus not work for the PA6B GPS module? 10Hz would have been sweet and yes it supports it.
The default configuration is exactly with the PA6B GPS module in mind .
I actually can't remember if the default config is 5 or 10Hz update-rate, as I have only used it with the logger for a while.
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Old Mar 02, 2014, 02:14 PM
Joined Mar 2013
58 Posts
So i Need to manualy set the Update rate? or is my gps not compatible?
cooke86 is offline Find More Posts by cooke86
Old Mar 02, 2014, 02:24 PM
Chilled and served
Sweden
Joined Mar 2005
289 Posts
Quote:
The default configuration is exactly with the PA6B GPS module in mind .
I actually can't remember if the default config is 5 or 10Hz update-rate, as I have only used it with the logger for a while.
Ah yes that is correct, I just remembered that you mentioned that in this thread quite time time back.

If 5Hz is default would it be difficult to change it to 10Hz? I mean in the sense that any timings perhaps or so in the SW would suffer in some ways or so?
Old Mar 02, 2014, 06:12 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooke86 View Post
Thanks dennis for your quick reply, I powered it up today and noticed that on start up it says "no gps".

My gps is this one: https://store.3drobotics.com/product...x-with-compass Its a ublox LEA-6H module.

How should i set it up? I have downloaded U center (V8,10) but am unsure on how to connect the GPS to the computer and what settings to change... Any help would be great.

I have a FTDI cable and a USBtinyISP.

Kind Regards
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooke86 View Post
So i Need to manualy set the Update rate? or is my gps not compatible?
The Ublox GPS unit must be configured to only output NMEA-strings. I can't tell you have that's done, but the software should be more or less intuitive.
I recommend to only use GGA and RMC NMEA strings, but that's just a detail.
Old Mar 02, 2014, 06:14 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry. View Post
Ah yes that is correct, I just remembered that you mentioned that in this thread quite time time back.

If 5Hz is default would it be difficult to change it to 10Hz? I mean in the sense that any timings perhaps or so in the SW would suffer in some ways or so?
Not at all, I use 10Hz update-rate, which works like a charm. I actually think I tested the OSD-software with 15 and 20Hz GPS update rate too, just to be sure nothing was too close to the limit.

Try the "Use 10Hz update rate" in the config-file
Old Mar 03, 2014, 07:47 AM
Chilled and served
Sweden
Joined Mar 2005
289 Posts
Dammit, that was a part I missed. Didnīt thought it was an option.
Old Mar 03, 2014, 12:39 PM
Flying Wood For Fun
Canada, ON, Harrowsmith
Joined Jan 2012
7,527 Posts
id like to try my mini gps and shrink it inside the same unit

more info on gps unit:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2012386
irun4fundotca is offline Find More Posts by irun4fundotca
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2014, 03:49 AM
surf monkey
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2011
1,267 Posts
Hi, I need help configuring the code for a minimOSD...
1) on which pins should I connect the battery voltage divider and the RSSI voltage divider? I put them on bat1 and TX RSSI on the minim, but I'm getting zero values for the readings

2) The gps baud auto-detect appears to work, but I'm not getting any valid data from my ublox 6m. I made sure the enable NMEA messages on the ublox. Is there anything special that needs to be done to get GPS to work on the minim?

3) are there any other 'gotchas' or things that I need to be aware of when configuring the sketch for the minim?
changosurf is offline Find More Posts by changosurf
Old Mar 04, 2014, 04:49 AM
Joined Oct 2013
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by changosurf View Post
Hi, I need help configuring the code for a minimOSD...
1) on which pins should I connect the battery voltage divider and the RSSI voltage divider? I put them on bat1 and TX RSSI on the minim, but I'm getting zero values for the readings

2) The gps baud auto-detect appears to work, but I'm not getting any valid data from my ublox 6m. I made sure the enable NMEA messages on the ublox. Is there anything special that needs to be done to get GPS to work on the minim?

3) are there any other 'gotchas' or things that I need to be aware of when configuring the sketch for the minim?
You can you v. 0.22 of code, which has MinimOSD config option. The pins it uses are:

12 -> PPM
23 -> Battery Voltage
24 -> Current
26 -> RSSI
27 -> SDA
28 -> SCL

see below:

juhis
jpahka is offline Find More Posts by jpahka
Old Mar 04, 2014, 06:59 PM
surf monkey
Joined Aug 2011
1,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpahka View Post
You can you v. 0.22 of code, which has MinimOSD config option. The pins it uses are:

12 -> PPM
23 -> Battery Voltage
24 -> Current
26 -> RSSI
27 -> SDA
28 -> SCL

see below:

juhis
Thanks,
I've got RSSI and GPS working, but the voltage is coming up blank. I'm using a minimOSD board that has a built-in 'bat1' pin with an on-board voltage divider (22KOhm & 1.5KOhm) with a 15.66 divider factor. This pin maps to A2 on the atmega328, so I made the change to the config:
Code:
#define VOLT_GAIN_DEF 0.077 
// MinimOSD
#if (OSD_HARDWARE == 3)
  //===========================
  // Analog input
  #define VOLT_MEAS 2     // Battery voltage A0
  #define CURRENT_MEAS 1  // Current sensor A1
  #define RSSI_MEAS 3     // RSSI or second battery on A3
#endif
However, this is what I'm seeing on the screen...
Name: 20140304_155452.jpg
Views: 31
Size: 93.7 KB
Description:

The 'VLT' value is completely empty, and I'm not sure why.
Can someone please help me figure it out?

EDIT:
I uploaded a test sketch in order to make sure that the voltage divider and A2 analog pin were working. The test sketch worked correctly, and using a factor of 0.0759, I was able to output a correct voltage value via the serial console. I looked over the OSD code and I don't see why it would be failing to print a number. The only thing I am noticing is that the raw voltage_reading variable is an int, yet the voltage should be converted to a float in order to display decimal precision for the voltage. I tried multiplying my voltage_gain factor by 100 to 7.59, but it didn't fix anything...The 'VLT' value is still blank...

Can someone please help me out?
Last edited by changosurf; Mar 04, 2014 at 10:31 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2014, 04:55 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Thanks,
I've got RSSI and GPS working, but the voltage is coming up blank. I'm using a minimOSD board that has a built-in 'bat1' pin with an on-board voltage divider (22KOhm & 1.5KOhm) with a 15.66 divider factor. This pin maps to A2 on the atmega328, so I made the change to the config:
Code:
#define VOLT_GAIN_DEF 0.077 
// MinimOSD
#if (OSD_HARDWARE == 3)
  // Analog input
  #define VOLT_MEAS 2     // Battery voltage A0
  #define CURRENT_MEAS 1  // Current sensor A1
  #define RSSI_MEAS 3     // RSSI or second battery on A3
#endif
However, this is what I'm seeing on the screen...
Attachment 6564187

The 'VLT' value is completely empty, and I'm not sure why.
Can someone please help me figure it out?

EDIT:
I uploaded a test sketch in order to make sure that the voltage divider and A2 analog pin were working. The test sketch worked correctly, and using a factor of 0.0759, I was able to output a correct voltage value via the serial console. I looked over the OSD code and I don't see why it would be failing to print a number. The only thing I am noticing is that the raw voltage_reading variable is an int, yet the voltage should be converted to a float in order to display decimal precision for the voltage. I tried multiplying my voltage_gain factor by 100 to 7.59, but it didn't fix anything...The 'VLT' value is still blank...

Can someone please help me out?
That looks a bit weird.
Can you please try to find the option "Force reset" in config.h? Set it to 1, upload the software, see if voltage is now showing, set it to 0 again - and hopefully everything works as expected.

Otherwise let me know and I'll have a closer look at the problem

Voltage is not saved as a floating point, it's saved with a factor of 10, to avoid floating point.
Old Mar 07, 2014, 03:57 PM
surf monkey
Joined Aug 2011
1,267 Posts
Quote:
That looks a bit weird.
Can you please try to find the option "Force reset" in config.h? Set it to 1, upload the software, see if voltage is now showing, set it to 0 again - and hopefully everything works as expected.

Otherwise let me know and I'll have a closer look at the problem

Voltage is not saved as a floating point, it's saved with a factor of 10, to avoid floating point.
thanks Dennis...
I somehow fixed the problem by erasing the EEPROM (wasn't aware of the force reset option).

Would it be possible to move the PPM in pin to another pin? Possibly one of the ISP header pins? the pin required for PPM in isn't exposed on the minim.
Old Mar 08, 2014, 11:04 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,082 Posts
Quote:
thanks Dennis...
I somehow fixed the problem by erasing the EEPROM (wasn't aware of the force reset option).

Would it be possible to move the PPM in pin to another pin? Possibly one of the ISP header pins? the pin required for PPM in isn't exposed on the minim.
No, PPM-in must be on a specific pin when used with input capture - that's just the nice flexibility you get with Atmega328