Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:37 AM
Joined Sep 2012
382 Posts
Build Log
Microaces Spitfire Mk1a Prototype Build - **New images of completed production kit**

Well, at long last I can get around to the final prototyping of this beautiful aircraft.

I picked up the first test print of the stickers yesterday and I was very impressed with the resolution quality once again. Prior to that I also cut out the Depron parts by hand so I can build it up like a real kit almost.

I still have to make up the wire undercarriage and control rods but apart from that it uses the same components as the Fw190 or P51, so the build should be relatively quick and the idea is it will highlight any adjustments and changes that may be needed prior to any production runs.

I am hoping this will also be a flying prototype so we should get a maiden flight on tape too.

One of the other things I need to do is number all the stickers in order of build so the manual can be started and is easy to follow.

The model itself is an early Mk1a, flown in the Battle of Britain in the late summer of 1940 by a pilot by the name of Eric Lock. He was the highest scoring Brit during this time and was made a household name by the press for a short while for his incredible rate of enemy aircraft destruction, taking down multiple aircraft per engagement. Sadly, like many of his fellow ace pilots he didn't make wars end, lost in action in 1941 whilst returning from a sortie into northern France. But his memory lives on in the aircraft of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, who have re painted their MkII spitfire in the EB-G markings.

The details in the artwork include the 'gas detection patch' on the port wing, weathering from the constant flying and servicing and the various hatches, rivet details and warnings, precautions and service information that the Spitfire carried at that time.

A few pics to be going on with. I'll capture what I can in pictures & video over the next few days as she comes together.

Jon
MICROACES is offline Find More Posts by MICROACES
Site Sponsor
Last edited by MICROACES; May 04, 2013 at 11:15 AM. Reason: new info
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:30 PM
United States, PA, Erie
Joined Nov 2000
166 Posts
Looks great! How do I get on the waiting list?
jmiceli11 is offline Find More Posts by jmiceli11
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:40 PM
Make the best of all you have
Essen/Germany
Joined Dec 2006
569 Posts
You can buy a FW 190 or Mustang first to get some build practice, in the meantime the Spitfire will be ready for sale ...

@Jon

It's a beauty - didn't expect less ...

Rolf
beetyii is offline Find More Posts by beetyii
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:20 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,810 Posts
Oh, wow. I mean, just oh wow.

I am most assuredly going to stay tuned.
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Nov 23, 2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:21 PM
Fly Low - Hit Hard
Canada, ON
Joined Oct 2010
1,039 Posts
credit card primed and ready...

RF
Red Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Red Flyer
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:26 PM
Joined Sep 2012
382 Posts
Managed to get a few hours build time today. Everything seems to fit well.

The biggest issue from a design point so far was dealing with the curved leading edges of the wings and horizontal stabilizer. As you can see from the photos the solution has worked quite well on the stabilizer.

As those of you who have already built a Microaces kit will notice, I've made some changes to the rudder hinge tabs. I have reduced the amount of material and made it single sided too. This is to reduce the stiffness of the rudder in an attempt to make it more effective in flight and on the ground. We'll see how that works out.

Next step is to install the aileron servo and then the elevator and rudder control rods. Will have to make up a set as they are different lengths than the Fw190 or the P51.

Hopefully I'll get a few hours tomorrow too. Apologies for the poor lighting on the images. It's been so dark and miserable today and the flash made the images look too harsh so I went with what light I had from the pathetic 'eco friendly' bulb I have in my desk lamp.

Had 'The First of the Few' - 1942 film story of R.J. Mitchell - the designer of the Spitfire, playing in the background whilst putting the Spit together. Very inspirational!

Jon
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:20 PM
Joined Sep 2008
252 Posts
wow, that's wild, I was watching that exact video yesterday! good stuff. I didn't realize that he had died shortly after completion of the spitfire.

can't wait to see another post. this is looking good!
dcwwcp is offline Find More Posts by dcwwcp
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:43 PM
"Free" in Christ!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
850 Posts
Sub'd!

Looks good.

Free
Free is offline Find More Posts by Free
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:53 AM
Joined Jan 2010
35 Posts
Jon - are all of the bare depron edges "skinned" on the Spitfire, or just the leading edges of the wings and stabiliser?
JD
Jackdaw is offline Find More Posts by Jackdaw
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:46 AM
Joined Sep 2012
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackdaw View Post
Jon - are all of the bare depron edges "skinned" on the Spitfire, or just the leading edges of the wings and stabiliser?
JD
Hi JD,

like the Microaces Fw190 & P51, the Spit has the LE of the wings & stab covered as it provides a bit less drag and whole load of protection. Nose section top and bottom and belly also have edge stickers but the rest of the aircraft does not. Omission is mainly down to weight, ease of build and cost (probably in that order too).

Some of those that have already built other Microaces kits have done a terrific job of colouring the edges that are exposed. Its a great way of adding a bit of personal character to the kit.

Here's some more progress. Managed to grab an hour or so this morning before the rest of the family got up.

Jon
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:13 PM
Joined Sep 2012
382 Posts
Got a little more done this evening.

Putting the stickers onto the wing plus all the inner workings etc.

Used the aileron control rods from the Fw190 kit - a bit long but do the job. I should be able to get this finished off tomorrow hopefully.

Everything seems to fit very well. Ailerons line up nicely. All the stickers are fitting well. Must have done something right for a change. Probably means it wont fly for toffee
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:26 AM
Joined Jun 2009
6 Posts
Another incredible aircraft, great job Jon! Keep up the good work, Im eager to see the completed model, do you think it will be available before Christmas? If so Im going for the Spitfire over the Fw190, has the Me 109 hit the prototype stage yet?
Laughingman101 is offline Find More Posts by Laughingman101
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:42 AM
Joined Sep 2012
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughingman101 View Post
Another incredible aircraft, great job Jon! Keep up the good work, Im eager to see the completed model, do you think it will be available before Christmas? If so Im going for the Spitfire over the Fw190, has the Me 109 hit the prototype stage yet?
Thanks Laughingman101. I estimate the Spit will actually be available in February - I know, it looks like its almost ready to go but there are tools to be made for production, wireforms to be designed & ordered and a whole host of other things that need to happen to bring it to kit readiness.

The Me109 is going thru the 'secret squirrel' phase of development at the moment but will hopefully not be too far behind the Spit for release next year.

Wings are on - Got a little carried away last night. Shouldnt build when I'm tired but fortunately didnt screw anything up like I normally do if I 'push the envelope' - phew!

Jon
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:13 PM
Joined Dec 2005
5,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICROACES View Post

The Me109 is going thru the 'secret squirrel' phase of development at the moment but will hopefully not be too far behind the Spit for release next year.

Jon
Give the Me 109 to Danger Mouse and he will have it sorted and ready for production much quicker than secret squirrel!
Obake is offline Find More Posts by Obake
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:54 AM
Joined Sep 2012
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake View Post
Give the Me 109 to Danger Mouse and he will have it sorted and ready for production much quicker than secret squirrel!
Danger Mouse! He's a liability, and that Penfold can't be trusted either

Well, everything is done now apart from the maiden flight. Might be Friday or Saturday. If it's Friday there will probably be no vid, if it's Saturday then there may well be. Or I could do both days if all goes well and the weather does what it's supposed to.

Jon
Site Sponsor