HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:36 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,497 Posts
Woot! This is awesome. I'm a bit late, but it's going great. If you didn't get them today, then you should get them tomorrow. I have tracking info too. I'll get back to you with that.

Other than checking my thread, I haven't really been on RCG.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:05 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Didn't go to MBOX today, but I will later or tomorrow. Can't wait to see my order! Then I'll have more testing to do....

Imagine 38 grams of thrust on a micro 22mm Airbus 380!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Last edited by Freddie B; Nov 29, 2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:08 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Ksqm,

If you happen by, did you ever get a thrust measurement on you 3 cell, 1015 brushless setup, or Amp draw? Sorry if you posted that because I might have forgotten. If not, that's cool, just wanted to know the differance from the brushed setup.

Thanks

Fred
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:25 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,253 Posts
Freddie B,

Quick run down. Ammo 1015 motor, cut down 3 blade GWS rotor, Hyperion 180mAh 3S 25C bat, 3.5a, 35g thrust installed in T-50. Now the bad news. Had to send out a May Day, when I lost orientation flying the T-50. She glided into the side of a house and crunched the front end. Good news. Accidently left off access hatch on bottom, in front of the fan face. Drastic improvement in thrust and top end speed. How do you think I lost orientation.

Anyway, at 58g AUW and no inlet ducts, the 22mm EDF humped. The cheater hole was an unexpected bonus. Good inlet and exhaust ducting will definitely increase performance all around. I can pull the complete power system and vid performance perameters in a day or so, if you like. Okay, I've run of at the mouth enough.

Ksqm
ksqm is offline Find More Posts by ksqm
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:21 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,253 Posts
Freddie B,

Okay, here's two vids with Watt's Up meter and scale. Wish I had a way to measure the rpm's and efflux. The thrust may seem on the low side, but the proof was in the air.

This is with exhaust duct
DSCN1019 (1 min 32 sec)

This is with out exhaust duct.
DSCN1020 (1 min 2 sec)

Edit: After checking out the vids, I found that the audio was washed out by the fan. In the first vid, I left the exhasut tube on. The thrust is not as high, but the efflux is up there. Remember, this pushed a 58g AUW plane around. In the second vid, I took the exhaust tube off. Thrust actually went up to 38g, but I didn't realize I wasn't recording. Once I had started, thrust was down to 35g. Efflux was still up there.

Three things to mention. One, already mentioned, a cheater hole really improved the performance of this plane. Intake ducting should do the same. The trade off in weight would be worth it. Or, if you're doing a "Hot Wired Micro", you'll be rewarded. Second, I did fly the T-50 with a TP 250mAh 3S 20C bat. It was a wild ride as the CG was off, but the extra juice was put to good use. And the Ammo 1015 didn't break a sweat. Last, I will be testing B.I.M.'s 3 and 4 blade rotors. Hoping to see improved performance. Hope the info helps.

Ksqm
Last edited by ksqm; Nov 29, 2012 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Washed out audio in vids
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:07 AM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,343 Posts
guys, where do i find kevons rotors on shapeways? thanks!
MustangAce17 is online now Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:42 AM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,253 Posts
You'll have to get in touch with Kevon.

Ksqm
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:34 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksqm View Post
Freddie B,

Quick run down. Ammo 1015 motor, cut down 3 blade GWS rotor, Hyperion 180mAh 3S 25C bat, 3.5a, 35g thrust installed in T-50. Now the bad news. Had to send out a May Day, when I lost orientation flying the T-50. She glided into the side of a house and crunched the front end. Good news. Accidently left off access hatch on bottom, in front of the fan face. Drastic improvement in thrust and top end speed. How do you think I lost orientation.

Anyway, at 58g AUW and no inlet ducts, the 22mm EDF humped. The cheater hole was an unexpected bonus. Good inlet and exhaust ducting will definitely increase performance all around. I can pull the complete power system and vid performance perameters in a day or so, if you like. Okay, I've run of at the mouth enough.

Ksqm
Ksqm,

Terrific information! And funny (but not ) story. The not is the crunched nose. But what a way to discovery!

Re-cap of Ksqm's real life data: Ammo 1015 motor, cut down 3 blade GWS rotor, Hyperion 180mAh 3S 25C bat, 3.5a, 35g thrust installed in T-50, airframe weight of airframe was 58g. This is exactly what I was looking for, Thank you so very much! If I remember right throwing rotors was still an issue, and I hope that has been cured.

Even though the thrust on these micros is a bit hard to figure out how it really effects the flight given no knowledge of eflux and such, it is a gage I like to use. You were flying with an aircraft weight to thrust factor of 1.657:1. Very good numbers in my book.

Thanks again Sir.

Fred
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:15 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Ksqm,

Videos were perfect and awsome also. I quess I owe you for the 'Freddie B, this one's for you' mention... Besides you took the time to set that up and test on video just for my asking, too cool of you Sir. Wow, RCG friends are the best! I am happy to see 20mm is still alive and has a following that is still active.

Very interesting the differances going on, but it is what I would expect. Thrust tube lowered the thrust, but I am sure that "speedy the exit air" was much happier as a result. I think it sounded sweeter with the tube. And, BTW, the sound would be perfect to use when a person's "significant other" was complaining to washout the jibberish, LOL

I also have some BIM Rotors coming to test, but mine will first be on the brushed 7mm motor types because I'm in the lightweight mode right now. I have a couple twin jets I am eying, military of course, and not A-10's.....

Ksqm my friend, you have got me excited on the brushless end for sure. I have 2 1015's, and a couple Ammo's, but someday I would like to use those 1015's or sell them (NIB). I got ahold of some of the new GWS 40mm adaptors, the kind that are really cool, and possibly I could make something similar to fit a 22mm setup using the tiny 1mm shafts. So in essence a 30mm GWS cutdown rotor with adaptor, might be sweet.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:07 AM
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
Freddie,
heres part 1 of the documentary...Parts 2 and 3 should be on the sidebar when watching part 1...
hope the link is right and you guys enjoy!
Take care............Chris

Watching the jet come in at 2:30 for a belly landing was way cool...I kept looking around for the guy with the TX......lol!

Firepower - Mirage Jet (Part 1/3) (9 min 47 sec)

I tried to link part 2 but gives a different link from my tablet...when i get back on the laptop this evening i will link part 2 and 3..
I had to search to get part 2 this morn but part 3 was showing..
Hover or die is offline Find More Posts by Hover or die
Last edited by Hover or die; Nov 30, 2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:14 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangAce17 View Post
guys, where do i find kevons rotors on shapeways? thanks!
PM me. It would be almost $6 a rotor if you got them individually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
Ksqm,

Videos were perfect and awsome also. I quess I owe you for the 'Freddie B, this one's for you' mention... Besides you took the time to set that up and test on video just for my asking, too cool of you Sir. Wow, RCG friends are the best! I am happy to see 20mm is still alive and has a following that is still active.

Very interesting the differances going on, but it is what I would expect. Thrust tube lowered the thrust, but I am sure that "speedy the exit air" was much happier as a result. I think it sounded sweeter with the tube. And, BTW, the sound would be perfect to use when a person's "significant other" was complaining to washout the jibberish, LOL

I also have some BIM Rotors coming to test, but mine will first be on the brushed 7mm motor types because I'm in the lightweight mode right now. I have a couple twin jets I am eying, military of course, and not A-10's.....

Ksqm my friend, you have got me excited on the brushless end for sure. I have 2 1015's, and a couple Ammo's, but someday I would like to use those 1015's or sell them (NIB). I got ahold of some of the new GWS 40mm adaptors, the kind that are really cool, and possibly I could make something similar to fit a 22mm setup using the tiny 1mm shafts. So in essence a 30mm GWS cutdown rotor with adaptor, might be sweet.
If I can get specs on the adapters, I can redesign the hub of the rotors for them. Of course, I would keep the regular rotor hub too though.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:17 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Freddie B,

Okay, here's two vids with Watt's Up meter and scale. Wish I had a way to measure the rpm's and efflux. The thrust may seem on the low side, but the proof was in the air.

...Videos...

Edit: After checking out the vids, I found that the audio was washed out by the fan. In the first vid, I left the exhasut tube on. The thrust is not as high, but the efflux is up there. Remember, this pushed a 58g AUW plane around. In the second vid, I took the exhaust tube off. Thrust actually went up to 38g, but I didn't realize I wasn't recording. Once I had started, thrust was down to 35g. Efflux was still up there.

Three things to mention. One, already mentioned, a cheater hole really improved the performance of this plane. Intake ducting should do the same. The trade off in weight would be worth it. Or, if you're doing a "Hot Wired Micro", you'll be rewarded. Second, I did fly the T-50 with a TP 250mAh 3S 20C bat. It was a wild ride as the CG was off, but the extra juice was put to good use. And the Ammo 1015 didn't break a sweat. Last, I will be testing B.I.M.'s 3 and 4 blade rotors. Hoping to see improved performance. Hope the info helps.

Ksqm
You might want to get that lipo on the charger! under 10v doesn't make a 3s too happy.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:51 AM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,253 Posts
FreddieB,

In regards to throwing rotors, when using the Ammo 1015, no problem. Unlike the HK 1015, the Ammo 1015 does not HEAT up. I've flown it during the dog days of summer and not heat related problems. The rotor is strickly press fit and has not budged a bit. Check out Nitro's Mig Mod thread. HenryV replaced the bearings in the HK 1220 inrunner. Nitro did the same with the Mig's 10mm inrunner. Higher rated bearings improved both motors performance, especially for 3S applications. I eventually am going to do the same with my HK 1015s. Hint, Hint, Hint. I have a hand full of them.

Ksqm
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:39 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
PM me. It would be almost $6 a rotor if you got them individually.

If I can get specs on the adapters, I can redesign the hub of the rotors for them. Of course, I would keep the regular rotor hub too though.
My adaptors are homemade, LOL. I have made two, and both were different, but have settled on the second one. If I did one for GWS it would be like the new 40mm type they make (Gen 2). I will look at the BimRC rotors and see what I might conjour up for those, then maybe........... Don't think it would be worth you while because whom is going to make adaptors for everyone else???? They are tedious and tiny, so take me some time. Unless you know someone with a CNC lathe to mass produce them.

Fred
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:44 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
FreddieB,

In regards to throwing rotors, when using the Ammo 1015, no problem. Unlike the HK 1015, the Ammo 1015 does not HEAT up. I've flown it during the dog days of summer and not heat related problems. The rotor is strickly press fit and has not budged a bit. Check out Nitro's Mig Mod thread. HenryV replaced the bearings in the HK 1220 inrunner. Nitro did the same with the Mig's 10mm inrunner. Higher rated bearings improved both motors performance, especially for 3S applications. I eventually am going to do the same with my HK 1015s. Hint, Hint, Hint. I have a hand full of them.

Ksqm
Interesting and it makes sense. I have loosely followed all the threads and remember the berings mentioned. I also think they were not cheap, but that is OK for the benefits. I don't have any idea of the vendor, the size, etc. But I suppose the 1220 takes a larger one than the 1015. If you get it narrowed down, I'm in. I got two 1015's NIB, so a link maybe? Or if you order some, count me for 4 pieces and I not only pay you for them and shipping hassels, but some $$$$ profit coin too, LOL.

I threw so many rotors on my old 40mm and 50mm when 12mm inrunners were the only ticket in town. I love adaptors when ever a setup runs high speed/power, or the fan is hard to get to. Whenever the fan is impossible to access is when the rotor flys off, everytime.

Fred