HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:50 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts

Next the Fan Tube section was cut using template #6, and template #7. This is also the thrust tube for eflux, so I made the hole tapered as referanced if you look at the holes in both templates used to cut this section. I had also skiped a station line on the blueprint because later sanding will taper this part to the correct profile saving me some time and effort!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:54 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,569 Posts
Wow, awesome work. So I guess you are making a hole and feeding the cutting wire through to cut the inner holes. You have a steady hand and some smooth templates.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:55 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts

Last but not least, we need to cut the tailcone section. So using template #7, and template #8 we have it done. I went ahead and filled with some tinted lightweight filler, sanded, sealed with straight up Polycrylic, sanded and still have 0.5g +/- on the scale.

Fred

Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:02 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
Wow, awesome work. So I guess you are making a hole and feeding the cutting wire through to cut the inner holes. You have a steady hand and some smooth templates.
Very good point and I guess I should give an explination. I used a .062" wire (1.5mm) to poke as I twist through where I need my cutting wire. Then I took a 5/16" (8mm) brass tube, sharpened, to cut a feed hole for my wire. I'm not that good and just aiming a tube I missed a couple times (scrap yard anyone). If the hole was larger like on the fan tube, a 1/2" brass tube made it easier to feed the wires through.

While I am at it, I drill tiny holes in my templates and use sewing pins to attach my templates for cutting. These hot wire cutters are such you could also make templates out of thick poster board but I find it just as easy to use the aluminum myself. I have done it both ways.

Fred
Last edited by Freddie B; Nov 24, 2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:12 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Let's stack them up, literally, LOL

So at this point the fuselage sections are rough cut, and I rough sanded to remove hairs and smooth them up. This is still before final fitting and sanding.

I stacked them all up on the scale to get a weight check. Measuring a whoping 3.1g (+/-) is not so bad in my opinion. If I did seperate ducts out of glass and tried to sheet up an airframe I am sure weight would be a lot more.

Although nothing is ever light enough on a micro build, I am happy with this first attempt. Glue, fillers, sealant, paint, and....... . Guess we are at a good start anyway because It feels pretty strong at this scale. Inertia or lack of it will be my friend I hope.

Fred

Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:18 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts

So having some fun with looking over the handi-work, and placed all the fuselage sections in a row, and the formers used to create them also in the photo. First photo they are shot, with all sections face forward on the top side, then photo #2 they are shot from the rear side facing up.

Fred

Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:21 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts

Same idea, only on their belly, looking from the front, then looking from the rear.

Fred

Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:23 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts

Of course you knew this was coming. A very rough mockup of the fuselage before we fit and finish sand everything. Starting to look like a Mirage. But it is really there, LOL, hahaha.....

Fred

Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:23 PM
Fear me, I'm a space-duck.
Nederland, GE, Wageningen
Joined Nov 2011
288 Posts
And so it begins...
It still amazes me how fast you work sometimes.
hanzie is offline Find More Posts by hanzie
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:32 PM
EDF Addicted
United States, FL, High Springs
Joined Sep 2005
5,451 Posts
wow Fred, I want one I have enough fans to build a squadron lol
MustangAce17 is offline Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:38 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,569 Posts
Look at those wings in the background. This man is no rookie with the hotwire.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:28 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzie View Post
And so it begins...
It still amazes me how fast you work sometimes.

The fuselage up to what you see, plans printed, formers made, sections rough cut, 5 hours? Not that fast but getting better. The final fit, sanding to blend, and center relief cuts probable another 5 hours. Wing??? but maybe 2 hours with ailerons cut??????? Tail took me 1 hour, plus a bit. THEN install all gear, make canopy, paint, 6 months....... Hahahahahahahahaha. (Those of you that are following my F-84, and Yak-17 builds understand).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangAce17 View Post
wow Fred, I want one I have enough fans to build a squadron lol

I did wonder if I cut a rough kit, sections in pieces, no internal foam relieved, wing raw........ Would anyone have the fortitude to finish one? Or how much time would it take to cut up another to that point??????? I better see if this one flys and has enough power brushed to stay aloft. If not it will be a shame but a good exercise on theory and technique.

Fred

Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:39 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
Look at those wings in the background. This man is no rookie with the hotwire.
Hehehehe..... thanks but I am very honest and those huge wings are actually built up from blue fff for my Cartoon A-10 Warthog that is almost finished. But thanks it made me feel good for but a moment!

I actually only just got started lately really using a hot wire with an earnest intent on figuring out how to get good at it. I'm OK now, but not a master like so many I have seen. I'll get by though because I have patience (to ruin a few and keep going)! LOL

It is not usual for me, but I just whipped out a profile chuck glider 1/48th scale to add some weight to it and test the glide and such fully loaded! Maybe I will even have the CG dialed in for the EDF version on maiden. Best of all is I can play in the basement later tonight (no jet or cannon noises though, it will be late). I might post a photo but it's out to dinner with the family now, Steaks at Texas Roadhouse, yummie!

Fred
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:19 PM
EDF Addicted
United States, FL, High Springs
Joined Sep 2005
5,451 Posts
Fred, I'd love to have a partial kit, just so happen to have a gp 30mm fan we could snug in there if anything
MustangAce17 is offline Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:35 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangAce17 View Post
Fred, I'd love to have a partial kit, just so happen to have a gp 30mm fan we could snug in there if anything
WAY too small for a 30mm . Heck the shroud would be larger in diameter than the fuselage. Would be sweet, but it would have to be a bigger edition. Imagine a 6g airframe with a 30mm strapped to it. Someday I may get a kit off to someone, IF and only if that kit is worthy. Until then they are all one-of-a-kind!

However, there will be more airframes made this way. This is my second and I am liking it a lot! My first was the Yak-17 and I learned a lot on that one, mostly how to see the results better before getting started cutting, LOL. We all take baby steps hugh!

So we will see. If I didn't have to install any electronics it would fly backwards and land like a parachute at 3.1g right, LOL. Guessing it will be a brick at this scale and may be a lawn dart. But no fear, right!

Smiley'ed my self silly, good night, more tomorrow!

Fred