HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:37 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts

Some business work came up today, but here is some more progress. The control rod clevis and horns are pretty small as would be expected on a micro. These small parts are not so bad if you don't drop them on the floor with a bunch of sawdust and trash LOL

The 0.3g weight check-in is with plenty of extra carbon fiber on that scale you see. I will hope to get the parts under 0.2g, but glue will add a bit more. So far so good and I'm liking these as they seem plenty strong for my airplane and fairly light.

Fred

Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:39 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
This is the 0.020" (0.508mm) diameter pushrod glued to one side of the Clevis. Something about this tiny stuff intrigues me!

Fred
Last edited by Freddie B; Dec 10, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:49 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts

So here is how I am assembling the clevis to the horns. I used a 0.028" (0.71mm) diameter CF rod to pin through the ears and horn. Then a tiny drop of CyA at the outside of the clevis ears. CF rod still rotates freely in horn. Then I trimmed the ends of the CF almost flush with the clevis, leaving enought to have a small fillet of glue left intact.

First photo shows top one ready to trim, bottom one already trimmed, ready to install in aileron. I colored the parts with a Silver Metalic Sharpie felt pen. Worked a charm and no waiting for anything to dry. Got the weight down another 0.1g with some trimming of the pushrods still left!

Fred

Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:09 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts

Finishing up the control rods, I put the clevis on the servo horn using similar CF pin and CyA. Then a quick measure and trim of the pushrod, placed it into the clevis hole. Clamped the aileron flush with the top of the wing, and since it is tapered this causes a very small amount of reflex to the TE of the wing. Since a Delta is a flying wing planform I wanted a very tiny amount of reflex starting out. Drop of CyA and it is ready to go!

Fred

Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:16 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts

Last step for now was the little hatch is a bear to open since it has nothing to grip and it sits flush. So a tab was fashoned from a small bit of 1/64" ply and glued into a tiny slot. silver Sharpie was all I used to get some color to blend into the airframe. Look how large X-Acto blades are now a days.

Note I took some of that dense, squishy white foam GWS RX'ers used to come in and cut a bumper for the nose cone probe for test flying. I didn't want a lawn dart or worse...... It just slides on and has a cone shape hole to help it center on the nose of the airplane.

Fred

Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:22 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Look Ma, the nose cone is damaged.........

Yeah would you look at that, damage is being repaired to the nose cone of my new airplane.........................

Fred

Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:32 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,721 Posts
What happened Fred? Did you throw it?
Knife Liddle is offline Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:35 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Hahahaha..................

Look again at the last photo, the nose cone has a builtin bumper and the probe is gone......................

That is because what you are looking at is FLIGHT DAMAGE. That is right. I went into the Man Den and did a couple glide tests with the CG set about 1/4" rearward and did she ever glide well! The airfoil I sanded into the wing sure flew better than the flat plate chuck glider.

So I couldn't help myself, powered up and launched it across the room towards the 'Couch of Kings' loaded up with pillows and blankets. About 3-4 clicks of right aileron, and she feels pretty well trimmed. It starts to pick up steam pretty quick, and gets on step anyway. She will be a flyer. Seems to be faster at WOT than the Omega V1 I designed with a 30mm in it.

Oh, and the nose damage, that was from a couple bad launches, one that truned over on her back, veering to the left, and nosed into the carpet and bounced backwards. Very little damage I'd say, but the probe ripped the foam out. Now we have the probe buried into GG White, and the bumper now a part of the nose. We'll look the other way on that tiny scale deviation because this is going to be a flyer, not a contest entry.

Guess what, damage repaired, pushrods and clevis added, hatch tab added, and with all that we are still at 24.0g, RTF, with battery. That my friends is why I am smiling......... Damage from a sucessful flight testing program getting my airplane trimmed out, proving airworthiness and enough power to get on step from my 22mm brushed setup........... Guess I don't need more than that.

I'll get her outside soon, or at he indoor and wring it out over a longer course and hope to shoot at least some hat cam video!

Fred

Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:57 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,721 Posts
That`s great! Congrats! Nice to know that it has plenty of power. All of those .1g that you trimmed off, added up to a nice flier.
Knife Liddle is offline Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:08 PM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
738 Posts
coooool

Joe
sloperjoe is offline Find More Posts by sloperjoe
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:11 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,149 Posts
errrr, Fred, when I said indoor flyer - I was talking about somewhere a little larger than the man cave!
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:47 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
That`s great! Congrats! Nice to know that it has plenty of power. All of those .1g that you trimmed off, added up to a nice flier.
Thank you Sir. I will be upfront though, it has enough power, but further testing needed to see if it's plenty of power.

You are correct and I know every 0.1g helps, but I would like to have 1 : 2, power to weight, for a scale flyer when possible (or better), so at 9.8g static thrust 19.6 to 20g would have been best (or less). At 24g I was worried a bit.

I am guessing there will be quite limited vertical, and most vertical will be from entering a vertical manuver WOT at a full clip. However if I got a 1/48th scale, full fuselage jet to fly on a lightweight brushed system that eats so little juice, I'm more than happy. That was my goal.

Now for a vintage, early dawn of jet power, twin anyone? (after I clear my bench of some other builds, of course )

Fred
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:50 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloperjoe View Post
coooool

Joe
Thanks Joe. Someday I'll do a tiny one with steroid power for all you speed demons out there!

Fred
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:01 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
errrr, Fred, when I said indoor flyer - I was talking about somewhere a little larger than the man cave!
Hahaha, you are making me laugh. But you are right, that is why I guess I'm laughing. If somebody had seen me they would probably shake their head. I only do this kind of craziness with Micros, in the Man Cave............ Park Flyers up to and including 1/4 scale airplanes actually eat pillows and couches, like my Rottweilers used to .......

If it gets on step, flys level, picks up speed, maintains altitude and heading, I'm smiling. If it also exhibits stability and reaction to control surface movements, I'm ecstatic. But I will remain a bit subdued until we get into the real world and wring her out.

The only issue is found underhand launching the best option, but the old wrist twist was commmon on at least half my throws. It flicked those times and corrected itself fairly quickly back to regular orientation, except for a couple early arrivals. When I got the launch just right it was straight out smooth like I knew what I was doing. Maybe a bungie setup on even a sheet off a cardboard box would be cool to try if I give into the fact a tow hook adds even more weight......

Going to go sand off the lightweight filler now, and touch up that nose cone paint!

Fred
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:50 PM
United States, CO, Westminster
Joined Jul 2011
575 Posts
Good news!!!
chester2240 is offline Find More Posts by chester2240