HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:13 PM
Registered User
bri6672's Avatar
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,236 Posts
So even worse....
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:14 PM
Registered User
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri6672 View Post
Absolutely! 12s 135amps 19lbs of thrust 225mph with 3 3/8 diameter thrust tube...
With what motor?

Regards
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:16 PM
Registered User
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeStaff View Post
19 lbs on 12S?
I've not seen one doing such under 160 amps
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:25 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
PikeStaff's Avatar
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,651 Posts
120mm's, to be honest and candid, are out of my league. Originally thought that the concern was the ability of batts to keep up with 170a. draws - which really isn't difficult to conceive, as I saw it. Plus, airframe size for a 120 seem to provide lots of room for big - i.e., 5000++ mAh size - batts, hence why it wasn't a biggie.

Cost would have to figure into this equation, too. Big Schubelers are a long way from economical. But I suppose you get what you pay for too.
PikeStaff is offline Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:29 PM
Registered User
bri6672's Avatar
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
I've not seen one doing such under 160 amps

Thats cause your busy playing with the cheap stuff...

Het 800 680 dynamax, you saw it in the Falcon thread.
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:32 PM
Registered User
bri6672's Avatar
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeStaff View Post
120mm's, to be honest and candid, are out of my league. Originally thought that the concern was the ability of batts to keep up with 170a. draws - which really isn't difficult to conceive, as I saw it. Plus, airframe size for a 120 seem to provide lots of room for big - i.e., 5000++ mAh size - batts, hence why it wasn't a biggie.

You will need about 10'000 mah to get any real flight time at 170 amps unless you had it in something like an electra.
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:48 PM
Registered User
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri6672 View Post
Thats cause your busy playing with the cheap stuff...
lol, I've been getting > 2oz of thrust per amp on the "cheap" stuff for a long long time..... or whatever uninformed claim that you made up thread on thrust to amps output.

BTW: It's thrust to watts ....cause amps can come in many flavors due to cell count...


Back on to the thread...

Jack, you should get a known thrust to watt fan and baseline your sled... 180 amps is up there in the amps pull

regards
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:59 PM
Registered User
bri6672's Avatar
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,236 Posts
Uninformed... Whatever...... amps are a direct result of flight time I don't care what volts you use... I stated on 12s with a 120 fan you should be getting 2oz per amp to keep up with other high powered "12s" setups!!!

If this guy Jack wants to sell fans he needs to get his amps down!!!
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:10 PM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
Kevin Cox's Avatar
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri6672 View Post
Uninformed... Whatever...... amps are a direct result of flight time I don't care what volts you use... I stated on 12s with a 120 fan you should be getting 2oz per amp to keep up with other high powered "12s" setups!!!

If this guy Jack wants to sell fans he needs to get his amps down!!!
180amps+ is a bit high and this was without a reduced thrust tube, which can cause another 10% increase in current draw. All is not lost, just go to a lower kV motor to run on 12s . The setup that is shown is probably a 10S setup at best and that would be 140+ amps.
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Last edited by Kevin Cox; Nov 22, 2012 at 08:41 PM. Reason: replaced lots with lost
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:25 PM
world's slowest builder
Air-Jon's Avatar
CA
Joined Oct 2006
712 Posts
Yeah... at least the motor only weighs 1.8 lbs. My het motor and dynamax fan only weighs about 2 more ounces than just their motor! And makes the same thrust at only 6000 watts instead of 7900 watts this thing is pulling!!!!!
Air-Jon is offline Find More Posts by Air-Jon
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:37 PM
Registered User
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,672 Posts
Yeap...id start with checking the sled..
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:02 PM
I make bad look so good.
SteveC68's Avatar
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
lol, I've been getting > 2oz of thrust per amp on the "cheap" stuff for a long long time..... or whatever uninformed claim that you made up thread on thrust to amps output.

BTW: It's thrust to watts ....cause amps can come in many flavors due to cell count...


Back on to the thread...

Jack, you should get a known thrust to watt fan and baseline your sled... 180 amps is up there in the amps pull

regards
You do know how to calculate watts right?
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:32 AM
Gorilla Glue Expert
PikeStaff's Avatar
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air-Jon View Post
And makes the same thrust at only 6000 watts instead of 7900 watts this thing is pulling!!!!!
8600g thrust, divided by 6000 watts = 1.43 g/w. That's a really good output; what is the setup, motor/fan?
PikeStaff is offline Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:38 AM
He builds stuff. :)
Pepperpete's Avatar
Canada, AB, Grande Prairie
Joined Sep 2007
1,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeStaff View Post
8600g thrust, divided by 6000 watts = 1.43 g/w. That's a really good output; what is the setup, motor/fan?
I'm curious as well.
Pepperpete is online now Find More Posts by Pepperpete
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:04 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Ron101's Avatar
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,182 Posts
My 1915 1y nue motor does 16 lbs thrust at 115 amps , 5100 watts in the dynamax fan on 12s 35c 6500mah packs.... installed in the plane with a 3 1/2 inch tail pipe amps went up to 132 amps 6200 watts and over 15 lbs installed thrust. My installed thrust number is from a fish scale with a string around the tail... so it's just a rough number. If you factor in wheel resistance with a 22 pound plane I'm sure it's higher

plane flies like a bat out of hell...it's a 1/6 scale jet legend hawk. very hard to beat a dynamax...it was designed by General Electric

Ron-E-Max (6 min 35 sec)
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion TAIWAN TORNADO (7012) 70EDF Blades YUSENWANG Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 74 Sep 19, 2013 09:45 PM
Discussion TAIWAN TORNADO EDF Development of new aircraft Tom yu Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 4 Oct 16, 2012 01:34 AM
Sold Change SUN 12 blade 120mm EDF fan NIB sherlockshah Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 2 Apr 09, 2012 03:25 AM
Wanted lander 120mm edf the big g Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 0 Mar 30, 2012 03:37 PM
Discussion good deal on 120mm edf! JetMang Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 1 Mar 05, 2012 12:25 PM