Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:40 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Mar 2007
15,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Kochanski View Post
Merry Christmas everyone!

mesnick, i ordered it from www.selbstklebefolien.com in germany. I found something for the other side of the pond

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=vinyl+self+ad hesive&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Mine came on a roll, 60cm wide and the length you order...

If you use it on your piaggio it will look even more awesome i think

Thanks for the great Vinyl links Andre! I use Vintyl as well great stuff!
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:21 AM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Nov 2004
674 Posts
Quote:
Merry Christmas everyone!

mesnick, i ordered it from www.selbstklebefolien.com in germany. I found something for the other side of the pond

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=vinyl+self+ad hesive&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Mine came on a roll, 60cm wide and the length you order...

If you use it on your piaggio it will look even more awesome i think
Thanks Andre for your information
Happy Holidays
Mesnick
mesnick is offline Find More Posts by mesnick
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:15 PM
Nelson, B.C.
Joined Jun 2008
150 Posts
Very nice job Andre' and thanks for drawings.

Kim
chumbly is offline Find More Posts by chumbly
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:36 AM
The Depronizer
Germany, NRW, Dortmund
Joined Aug 2012
104 Posts
Hey Kim you are very welcome

Today i got myself an edding 404 permanent marker and drew some panel lines onto the wing and fuselage.
They are not that scale, but i think its the interpretation that counts

Just have a look:

The red vinyl hasn´t arrived yet...otherwise i could have started with the vertical stabilizer already. I also changed my plans concerning the livery. Initially i wanted to use the new "Germanwings"- Design but now i´d rather use my own fictional design....which will look just as real and convenient!
Andre Kochanski is offline Find More Posts by Andre Kochanski
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:49 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Mar 2007
15,978 Posts
Simply beautiful Andre, I hope My A318s look half as good as your A319 when the're done.
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:07 AM
Österreich, Oberösterreich, Laakirchen
Joined Jan 2001
3,351 Posts
Hi Andre,

do you plan to cut out the cabin windows ? I think you have to explain me your technic with that vinyl folie and depron some day in detail. The look ist fantastic

Rudi
Rudi is offline Find More Posts by Rudi
Old Jan 06, 2013, 06:47 AM
The Depronizer
Germany, NRW, Dortmund
Joined Aug 2012
104 Posts
Rudi,

thanks for the kind words. I am not planning to cut the windows because of structural integrity. Instead i am drawing a decal sheet right now with all the windows, doors, fonts and some stencils as well. So the model will get some details after all

My building technique is very simple. I use 6mm depron spars and stringers, then 3mm depron for sheeting. Everything is glued with hot glue. Then i fill the gaps between the sections with spackle and sand it. After i washed away the dust with a wet rag the vinyl is applied with a hair dryer (if necessary). The film stretches like bubblegum once heated and you can pull it around almost any shape.

I divide the model into different sections, for example left fuse, right fuse, elevator and vertical stabilizer. You can do a fuselage with only two pieces of film, but it is quite difficult. Thats why you sometimes have to split it into sections, as i did with this A319. You can see the overlapping areas, but when they are done nicely they can be mistaken as panellines. And after all the detail stencils and windows are on, no one will care about the panel lines

So its all about cloaking the imperfections and distraction of the viewers eye
Old Jan 06, 2013, 06:55 AM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Nov 2004
674 Posts
Quote:
Hey Kim you are very welcome

Today i got myself an edding 404 permanent marker and drew some panel lines onto the wing and fuselage.
They are not that scale, but i think its the interpretation that counts

Just have a look:

The red vinyl hasn´t arrived yet...otherwise i could have started with the vertical stabilizer already. I also changed my plans concerning the livery. Initially i wanted to use the new "Germanwings"- Design but now i´d rather use my own fictional design....which will look just as real and convenient!
FANTASTICCC Andre,excellent work
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:42 AM
Österreich, Oberösterreich, Laakirchen
Joined Jan 2001
3,351 Posts
Hello Andre,

thx for explain your technic

Rudi
Rudi is offline Find More Posts by Rudi
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:17 PM
The Depronizer
Germany, NRW, Dortmund
Joined Aug 2012
104 Posts
Hi again everyone,

its been a while since my last post here. So this is what happened:

I tried to seal the leak at the retract valve but i wasn´t successful
I also tried to use the tank i bought from HK as a replacement for the tank that exploded...also with a leak and not fitting pressure line diameter....

I guess thats why i don´t like air retracts that much. Compared to electric ones they are just too vulnerable.
So my decision is as follows: rip out the sh**ty air retracts and install electric ones
The package is on its way and as soon as i put them in there will be the next update
Till then, stay tuned
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:40 AM
The Depronizer
Germany, NRW, Dortmund
Joined Aug 2012
104 Posts
So there was a package arriving a while ago. Since i dont have that much time for the build i take it easy and slow.

The weekend before i changed the main gear. The new retract modules are really a bit bigger than the air retracts, so i had to make new frames and put them in. The steerable nosewheel had to be completely removed and redesigned so that it retracts against flying direction just like the original.

I think the pictures show that just right
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:57 AM
Italy, Lazio, Rome
Joined Nov 2004
674 Posts
Andre great job as always BRAVO
Mesnick
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:00 AM
Joined Feb 2010
1,690 Posts
Nose retract looks much better. Great work again
Doushiyou12 is online now Find More Posts by Doushiyou12
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:01 PM
The Depronizer
Germany, NRW, Dortmund
Joined Aug 2012
104 Posts
Thanks you two

Today i focused on the battery installation. The problem was that the CG is quite far from the leading edge due to the swept-back wing. So the nose was way too heavy. Thats the first model of mine which is noseheavy

To avoid using trim weights i installed the battery just above the main landing gear, giving it a very strong connection to the main wing spar. The balsa also stiffens the whole trailing edge wing mount.
The battery is held by some velcro tape.
Because of the position of the battery i had to rearrange the two tail servos...

I think i will shorten the wires to the ESCs because the battery is so close now - at least it will save a few grams. The last remaining thing is to solder a double-y harness for the landing gear and putting on the decals. This will be done after maiden though

The flying weight is 1420g or 50oz or 3.1lbs - can´t we all just use SI units ???

The thrust to weight ratio is 1:1,5 - this will give nice performance i guess and with a wing loading of 53g/dm² the landing speed should be OK.

So i´ll prepare for maiden and wait for good weather - then you will get a nice flying video of course !
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:50 PM
A Global Force For Good
USA, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Jun 2009
730 Posts
Andre: I like everyone else here will be anxiously waiting to see the video. I've followed the thread attentively and have a question. The covering you used is described on the manufacturers site as a self adhesive vinyl covering. In the video it is shown as also being heat sensitive although nothing is stated in the written text that refers to this property. You also provided a link for EBay vendors that sell similar material but no information is given as to it's thickness or if it is heat sensitive. Do you have any info on these products listed in EBay that suggests that they are similar to what you used?

I did ask for some samples from the company, however they may not honor my request since they do not list the US as a possible shipping destination.

Thanks for the great info and the thread.
Joe
jmpdgs is offline Find More Posts by jmpdgs