SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:26 PM
The Depronizer
Germany, NRW, Dortmund
Joined Aug 2012
104 Posts
Today i worked on the nacelles and the cockpit section.

You may have noticed that the engine mounts are just two ply plates. I added 6mm depron on every side and sanded them in shape. After that the nacelles are ready for the spackle.

As i mentioned before i am using my own lightweight spackle. The recipe is very easy as you just need two things: acrylic paint (thick wall paint, not the tamiya-style liquid) and microballoons. You put some paint into a small cup and add microballoons until you get the consistency of soft ice.
Advantages are no smell, working with all materials, cheap and perfect for sanding.

After i applied the spackle to the engines with some spare depron they had to dry. So i worked on the cockpit section (that i have left out because i was unsure how to do it).
Before that i got back to my CAD model and extracted some section views to get an idea of the formers i had to make. Take a look at the PDF for details.

Then i just cut the parts from 6mm depron and covered with 3mm depron. I only used separate plates for the two very significant front windows, because the outer third ones integrate into the shape of the fuselage. (i hope that was understandable).
So maybe the cockpit doesn´t look scale right now because of the missing windows, but that will change

Tomorrow i will sand and maybe glass the nacelles. The wing also needs some work right now...
Andre Kochanski is offline Find More Posts by Andre Kochanski
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:17 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Mar 2007
16,164 Posts
Andre your A319 engine cowls & nose Look AMAZING!
demondriver is online now Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tron recognizer quadcopter
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:20 PM
Joined Feb 2010
1,692 Posts
Those look awesome!!! FWD section is taking shape. Nice!!!
Doushiyou12 is online now Find More Posts by Doushiyou12
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:57 PM
747-400
alaska
Joined Mar 2007
470 Posts
WOW very nice, i know this will be a nice flying plane!
w747 is online now Find More Posts by w747
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:02 PM
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Jul 2007
88 Posts
Very nice work André!

Can't wait to see you do your nose! I'm wondering how I'm gonna do mines!!

Cheers!
SergioFMMI is offline Find More Posts by SergioFMMI
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:14 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
16,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioFMMI View Post
Very nice work André!

Can't wait to see you do your nose! I'm wondering how I'm gonna do mines!!

Cheers!
Mee too! Great work Andre!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:31 PM
Avoid The Ground!
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Sep 2008
1,058 Posts
Great work! can't wait to see the rest! keep it up, the runway is waiting!
Flexserve is offline Find More Posts by Flexserve
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:48 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
16,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexserve View Post
Great work! can't wait to see the rest! keep it up, the runway is waiting!
I'm in TOTAL agreement with the "Flex" on this!

P.S. Flex its 700 airliners not 600.lol
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:23 PM
The Depronizer
Germany, NRW, Dortmund
Joined Aug 2012
104 Posts
Hello there,

thanks everyone for the nice words

Today i took care of the wing. Unfortunately i missed the opportunity to take some pics of the opened root sections......but i previously mentioned that the ESCs will sit in the wings between nacelle and fuse so that i can save cable-weight.

The sheeting was just the standard stuff, what can i say. Add spars and ribs, glue, put hot glue on them and apply the skin QUICKLY...as usual i came around with minor burns on my fingers (very painful when you grab some 120°C glue

Anyhow enough crying. The wing is now closed and it begins to look like an airliner...
Plus it is very stable or rigid, that now i am thinking not to glass the whole plane, but use vinyl instead (like on my Q400)...this gives a really great finish with a typical glossy surface!

Now you can also see that i cheated a little with the wings depth. Its a model after all, aye?
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:04 PM
Joined Aug 2008
204 Posts
Just stunning !!!!
carrerars is offline Find More Posts by carrerars
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:14 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
16,164 Posts
Air Retracts on your A319 . . .VERY cool Andre! your A319 wing is Stunning!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:54 PM
Joined Feb 2010
1,692 Posts
WOW,
Now that looks superb.
Doushiyou12 is online now Find More Posts by Doushiyou12
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:43 AM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,646 Posts
Nice work on your wing.

Cheers,
Eric B.
AirX is online now Find More Posts by AirX
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:48 PM
The Depronizer
Germany, NRW, Dortmund
Joined Aug 2012
104 Posts
Today i took some care about the landing gear. I had to wait for the lego parts to arrive. I just couldn´t rip my lego sports car apart!

The original idea is from SergioFMMI. He uses them for his 1:22 A319 which is just awesome! http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=a319

So i found a dealer for those suspension struts on ebay. The diameter of the original retract-wire is 3mm, so i drilled holes into the struts to insert 3mm cold steel. Fortunately the steel "core" can be inserted as far as the upper part of the strut goes so everything is super stiff.
After glueing with epoxy i tested the springs with a 1,5kg water bottle showing that the springs are a bit too weak to absorb the landing shock (presumably at 1,5kg model weight and 2-3G´s). The stuts were compressed the whole way. So i was already thinking about buying new springs. But then i thought about what i learned at university When stretching the springs and considerably increase the preload they could work. After stretching the springs to roughly 150% of its usual size and reassembling the struts they had enough "power" for the landing.

As you can see on the pictures i have to adjust the length of the legs. The nose gear for example must be loengthened by 20mm. Instead of lengthening the strut i will relocate the whole nose gear mount. The main gear has to be shortened by 10mm. Then the fuse will be level.
I did not sheet the nose because of this and because of the nose gear servo i have to install - a pull/pull-wire setup for steering

I also managed to get some air into the system - my handpumps are too weak to get enough pressure, so i have to get something new. A compressor should work.
Another thing i noticed was a leakage at the control valve - i hope a few new o-rings will close the leak.
But apart from these minor faults everything works.

After that i began to cut the fuselage spars for the wing. This took a lot of time because i have to be very careful not to mess up the wings angle of incidence. I am planning to use a fast-lock system for the wing, because the wing opening will be the only opening in the fuselage, and the battery will go in there.

I also ordered the vinyl today. The livery i am using will be revealed later One tiny peace of information for now - it is a very new design of a german airline....

Now to the pictures:
Last edited by Andre Kochanski; Dec 09, 2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:58 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
16,164 Posts
HOLY-Smokes Andre! Looking amazing Sir!

Are you gonna add the scale 2 wheels per main gear?
RCG Plus Member