HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:40 AM
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Mar 2012
236 Posts
Discussion
Flying field size for 450 size heli?

I usually fly quad and it's great fun and cheap to fix. I am curious about CP heli's though as flying inverted looks like fun to do. I do that a lot on the RealFlight sim I own. Mostly because the only quad in that sim is...well...either very different to what I fly in reality, or just badly programmed. The heli on the other hand are a lot of fun.

Living in a city takes its toll though, so I wonder what amount of space is needed to fly a 450 size heli.

I know in theory 3m x 3m is sufficient, but not fun. My small quad (330mm) is happy with half a soccer field. Better with a full soccer field. Trees and fence around it, so it's just soccer field size plus maybe 3m extra to all sides.

Is that a lot for a 450 size heli? Just ok (and thus 500/600 size needs more space)? Not enough at all?

My plan is to do not speed flying. My quad can do that. But 3D. Since I am a beginner in that area, light 3D first :-)

Harald
Hkubota is offline Find More Posts by Hkubota
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:20 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
1,917 Posts
Well the whole point is to learn to control the heli so you could fly in any given space. But there is safety to consider for yourself (or potentially anyone else around you), if you or anyone gets hit by it they're going to get hurt bad. A soccer field should be more than enough room providing nobody's around, take it slow, and don't try tricks too far from your comfortable control level. You might also consider a micro cp heli... they can still be pretty fast and need some room, but they are also at lot more sensitive (harder to fly) than a 450 or bigger size. 450 isn't a bad size though and as soccer field should be good... again, take it slow.
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:52 AM
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Mar 2012
236 Posts
According to RealFlight...

For those who have the same question as I had: a soccer field size is fine for a 450 heli. 500 is ok, but barely. 600 or 700: they need more space.

For me that means, if I get a larger heli, I first need to have a better playground.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:32 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
898 Posts
an EMPTY soccer filed is fine for a 450. But there are some choices to consider. If you have access to a larger indoor space like a school gym, consider the Blade Nano. It will do reasonable 3D, certainly flips and rolls.

For outside consider the new mCPx BL. It has a much stronger tail than the mCPx V2 and is much more park friendly than 450. Easy and cheap to fix. Often can crash on grass with no damage. Will no 3D and fly in some wind. You don't need a big helicopter to start doing 3D.
rhodesengr is offline Find More Posts by rhodesengr
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:03 PM
RC Basher
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2012
37 Posts
Good info. How do people typically go about finding out if you can fly a heli in a park or similar surroundings?
Jersey Crewmax is offline Find More Posts by Jersey Crewmax
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:17 PM
Joined Jan 2012
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Crewmax View Post
Good info. How do people typically go about finding out if you can fly a heli in a park or similar surroundings?
You can look in you city code and you can look around your parks for signs with posted rules. Our parks all have small metal signs with posted prohibited activities which includes any sort of RC device. But there appears to be some tolerance so I have not been kicked out yet. Most people are interested which can also be a bad thing if a little kid runs up. You have to use common sense with something like a 450 because they are very dangerous. If it is prohibited in your parks, you may get away with flying but you'd be totally liable if you hit somone or damaged property. I only go when the fields are destered.

You can also join a club with a legit flying field. You can search for clubs in your area here
http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:46 AM
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Mar 2012
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
If you have access to a larger indoor space like a school gym, consider the Blade Nano. It will do reasonable 3D, certainly flips and rolls.
Blades are hard to get here. I'm not in US
And no indoor space available either. Beside at the company I work at maybe, but no way I'll fly something as destructive as a 450 heli there. The Genius CP I have is ok, but it's pushing it.

The main point why I wanted to find out whether I can even think about getting a 700 class heli, and the answer is a clear "No way"
500/550 is pushing it I'd say from my limited experience with the flight simulator.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:58 AM
Joined Jan 2012
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkubota View Post
500/550 is pushing it I'd say from my limited experience with the flight simulator.
Which simulator are you using. I suggest you don't use the simulator to compare models for buying. I have Phoenix and have found you just can't use it that way. Its nice they have so many models but the don't fly anything at all like the real thing and it varies model to model. The reall mCPx is much harder to piro than the sim would have you believe. In the sim you can piro all day with no cyclic input. Not so with the real deal. Its pretty hard to piro at all. On the other hand, my TREX 550 is easier in real life than the sim. I suppose i could spend hours tweaking the sim but it is much more sensitive than the real deal. The 550 is a great size and my TREX 550 has been extremely reliable. You do need an adequate space to fly though. A soccer field is ok but not with anyone around.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:38 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,706 Posts
Maybe this is for you:

Curtis Youngblood 3D Quad Night Flight (1 min 46 sec)
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:00 PM
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Mar 2012
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
Which simulator are you using. I suggest you don't use the simulator to compare models for buying. I have Phoenix and have found you just can't use it that way. Its nice they have so many models but the don't fly anything at all like the real thing and it varies model to model. The reall mCPx is much harder to piro than the sim would have you believe. In the sim you can piro all day with no cyclic input. Not so with the real deal. Its pretty hard to piro at all. On the other hand, my TREX 550 is easier in real life than the sim. I suppose i could spend hours tweaking the sim but it is much more sensitive than the real deal. The 550 is a great size and my TREX 550 has been extremely reliable. You do need an adequate space to fly though. A soccer field is ok but not with anyone around.
I use RealFlight and I like it, but I do not expect models to be 1:1 identical to real life. I expect them to be similar to the real stuff, but not 100% identical.
The relative sizes on the other hand should be comparable, especially in a limited environment like a soccer field.
Last edited by Hkubota; Feb 12, 2013 at 11:14 PM.