HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:27 AM
United States, CA, Hollister
Joined Jan 2006
50 Posts
Discussion
Stablilizer disconnected

I just received my first new ET order from EagleTree this week but have run into a problem getting the Stabilizer to work.

Problem: Stabilizer Expander LED light blinks continuously if I set the Stabilizer/ElevonMixing to YES. Soon after the OSD and e-logger reboots I get a Stabilizer Disconnected on my display. The LED will also Blink if set to NO.

- When set to YES or No I still have servo control movement when I move the TX stick.
- No stabilizer corrections at all if I move the plane on any axis.
-Tried unplugging USB cable from eLogger and reboot. No luck.
- updated Guardian firmware again. No luck.

I've re ran the servo analysis wizard multiple times in the last few days. No luck.

-Failsafe 1 FS Chns
-PCM/FS
-Default Guardian setting
-Rtrn Home enabled
-Tried all receiver inputes option Aux1 + Aux2, 3 Position, 3 Position RTH and 'None'

Wiring is 100% plugged in correct locations - I've read many threads and seen videos about proper connections.

1. eLogger V4->Osd->Guardian
2. eLogger V4->Guardian->Osd

eLogger records GPS track just fine. I can view data on Google earth.

Firmware:
eLogger v4 - 1.21
OSD Pro 2.66
Guardian Expander 1.19

Futaba 9C
FrSky TX
FrSky RX D8R - XP

Please help.

Thank you
Soyrico is offline Find More Posts by Soyrico
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:01 AM
Joined Jan 2006
50 Posts
Failsafe question:

I programed my FrSky Rx F/S thottle to 0% to trigger RTH feature, which by the way works fine when I trim back my throttle trim. My question is should I program my Ail and Elevator in the neutral or full deflection? I am unsure how these F/S programed movements effect the ET OSD RTH features.

Currently my OSD "receiver type" is set to PCM/FS

I am wondering if this could be part of the issue why my Guadrian is not working.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:53 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
Hi Soyrico, that's odd. If you are able to update the Guardian's firmware, that confirms the wiring is correct. Note that the blinking is normal.

Here are a couple of things to check:

a) can you verify that the sample rate is set to 10Hz? This is done by clicking "Hardware, Choose Recorder Capture Rate" in the PC software. Be sure to click "OK" on this dialog even if it is set to 10 samples/second already.

b) I assume you are seeing data on your video display, and not just the OSD's startup screen?

c) Does the disconnected message appear and then go away, or does it stay on the screen?
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:00 AM
Joined May 2011
9 Posts
Hi Soyrico,Bill

i find this topic and i beging to start my configuration ,i have the same problem you discribe

Problem: Stabilizer Expander LED light blinks continuously if I set the Stabilizer/ElevonMixing to YES. Soon after the OSD and e-logger reboots I get a Stabilizer Disconnected on my display. The LED will also Blink if set to NO.

- When set to YES or No I still have servo control movement when I move the TX stick.
- No stabilizer corrections at all if I move the plane on any axis.

The firmeware nb are same as you and no stabilization
Servo wizard setting have been done
The sample rate setting is 10hz
The GPS
My Configuration,
OSD Pro
pro recorder
GPS
Stabilizator expender

My wring is :
GPS to Pro recorder
OSD to pro recorder
Stabilizator expendrer connect to OSD
Servo transit througt the OSD to the recever
Pilot tube to Pro recorder

The firmeware nb are same than you and no stabilization
Servo wizard setting have been done
The sample rate setting is 10hz
The GPS is running normaly with a few sleepage

I don't find the problem
Thank for your help

Best regard
mumupilot is offline Find More Posts by mumupilot
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:20 AM
Joined Jan 2006
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post
Hi Soyrico, that's odd. If you are able to update the Guardian's firmware, that confirms the wiring is correct. Note that the blinking is normal.

Here are a couple of things to check:

a) can you verify that the sample rate is set to 10Hz? This is done by clicking "Hardware, Choose Recorder Capture Rate" in the PC software. Be sure to click "OK" on this dialog even if it is set to 10 samples/second already.

b) I assume you are seeing data on your video display, and not just the OSD's startup screen?

c) Does the disconnected message appear and then go away, or does it stay on the screen?

Hi Billpa and happy Thanksgiving,

a. I confirmed the sample rate and it was set to 10Hz. I pressed OK as instructed.

b. Correct, I am seeing data on both video display and OSD.

c. The Disconnected message does not go away when Stablilizer/Elevonmixing is set to YES. It goes away when set to NO.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:26 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
Mumupilot, I apologize, but the Guardian expander is NOT compatible with our flight data recorder products. It requires either our eLogger V3 or V4. We've gone through and tried to make this more clear on our website and manuals.

Soyrico, Happy Thanksgiving to you also! This is a puzzler. A couple more things to try:
a) If you don't have the OSD's AHI display turned on, could you turn it on? I want to confirm that it is not moving on the OSD screen
b) could you attached the OSD's configuration (.txt) to this thread? The file is saved under the OSD configuration page in the PC software, by clicking "Save Configuration".
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:07 PM
Joined Jan 2006
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa View Post
Mumupilot, I apologize, but the Guardian expander is NOT compatible with our flight data recorder products. It requires either our eLogger V3 or V4. We've gone through and tried to make this more clear on our website and manuals.

Soyrico, Happy Thanksgiving to you also! This is a puzzler. A couple more things to try:
a) If you don't have the OSD's AHI display turned on, could you turn it on? I want to confirm that it is not moving on the OSD screen
b) could you attached the OSD's configuration (.txt) to this thread? The file is saved under the OSD configuration page in the PC software, by clicking "Save Configuration".
The OSD AHI is active on the display screen but is not moving when tilt the plane in any direction.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Jan 2006
50 Posts
UPDATE:

After days of exhausting and tinkering with every whistle and bell I finally solved the Stabilization Expander issue.

Solution: OSD setup Utility 'Factory RESET' and re-updated OSD and eLoggerV4 firmware to latest, which by the way was previously already done once.

I suspected one of the original OSD firmware values might have prevented the guardian from being detected.

Steps:
a. Factory reset first.
b. updated Gaurdian
c. Updated OSD Pro
d. Updated eLogger V4

Attached is my new and working OSD3.txt for troubleshooting. The first OSD1.txt (non working) is attached to above for comparison.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:51 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
Hi, first, sorry this took up so much of your time, but really glad to hear you got it resolved! In hindsight, I should have suggested you try that early on.

I've compared the two configuration files, and there are no differences that would explain the issue. I am going to assume the OSD's internal state had gotten corrupted during an upgrade, and that this was causing the issue.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 07, 2013, 03:57 PM
Joined Dec 2011
11 Posts
Hi, I had the same problem and the solution proposed by Soyric helped to solve it.
h0scHberT is offline Find More Posts by h0scHberT
Old Apr 20, 2013, 05:49 AM
Joined Oct 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0scHberT View Post
Hi, I had the same problem and the solution proposed by Soyric helped to solve it.
This was also my case, I was desperate and the solution by Soyric solved it.. It seems as a bug that ET should solve out. Thanks, Soyric
jcabetas is offline Find More Posts by jcabetas
Old Apr 23, 2013, 03:43 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,934 Posts
sorry to you both that the reset was needed. This seems to happen to people very rarely (it's not something we have been successfully able to reproduce here I think). What makes the problem such a mystery is that the configuration files for before and after the reset are identical, at least in Soyric's case. Do either of you have your configuration files both before and after?
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 16, 2014, 06:57 PM
Canada, BC, Port Moody
Joined Jan 2014
27 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Soyrico's fix also worked for me.
TheBennett is offline Find More Posts by TheBennett