SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:16 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
But still, all the enamored enthusiasts and "fanboys" don't want to ever hear it. It's like the redneck who won't drive anything but a ford truck or whatever, i suppose. Stubburn.
One works great, one a little less than great... no comparison. I've owned both, they still both work, just one not as good.

Barebone pro kits: Exi $70 or Align $170 (doesn't necessarily exist)... which one would you choose?

I wouldn't consider myself a fanboy of Align, I only own one, bought recently, and simply put everything is a LOT smoother than my exi. The tail, head, gear mesh, everything is smoother.
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:17 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
ALZRC = Align 2 RC. Both it and Tarot are rumored to have links with Align itself.
Yes. I have even heard both are made in the same factory. How true this is I'm not sure. However after owning a tarot product, while its decent its not the same quality as align. Is Alzrc ? Soft gears, frame screws, race seals that lock up under centrifugal force can be annoying. ( then again aligns tails have also locked up in the v2 kits ) If quality is par I'm all for it, It just may be my next heli. I'm basically waiting on reviews for this and the KDS innova 550 to come out.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:18 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,496 Posts
ill take my Compass over an Align or clone any day
but i guess thats like comparing a Audi to a Kia

im thinking about moving the electronics out of my T-rex 500 and in to an Atom 500
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:22 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Joined Aug 2012
3,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
One works great, one a little less than great... no comparison. I've owned both, they still both work, just one not as good.

Barebone pro kits: Exi $70 or Align $170 (doesn't necessarily exist)... which one would you choose?

I wouldn't consider myself a fanboy of Align, I only own one, bought recently, and simply put everything is a LOT smoother than my exi. The tail, head, gear mesh, everything is smoother.
There are a couple e-bay vendors that will sell align barebone kits. ( good outfits as well ) cheack out rc_rocks_us . I have an align 550 v2 i bought from them barebones.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:26 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Joined Aug 2012
3,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elios000 View Post
ill take my Compass over an Align or clone any day
but i guess thats like comparing a Audi to a Kia

im thinking about moving the electronics out of my T-rex 500 and in to an Atom 500
I fully Enjoy my Align helis. I have now progessed to flips-loops-rolls-inverts And they always come back to me in one piece. I know their helis can take even more of a beating that i give to them. Align has been very good to me in past years.
I bet that lil compas 360 is going to get some outstanding reviews. Again all so very tempting.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:43 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,346 Posts
Tarot got it's self in real trouble just this last winter. I think one reason you see tarot now trying to make parts of their own design. ALZRC got started in china making upgrade/replacement parts and started down the same path as tarot. Recently they too have started trying to "change" their parts a little more. ALZRC has also branched out to cloning GAUI X5 parts.
Most people that try to put some kind of connection to Align are either being duped by the place they get parts from or are just misinformed. Country of origin gives away what parts you are buying. If you get a part that says Align look for made in Taiwan. If it's missing or says made in china, it's not Align.

The early clones were really rather good! They had no real outlet for bearings so most of them used quality ones. All you had to do was do your own quality inspection and you were on your way.

Electronics plays a large role in a good experience. Unlike what some would like you to think Align cares. Now they don't care about YOU, but they do care about sells and reputation. That is why they try to only sell combos. In research they found most peoples issues were electronic and not the align kits. Why do you think these forums are not full of Align topics? After combining tried and tested electronics with the kits most problems are small and individual things that come up with any hobby.

Not everyone can look at a part and know it is good or this is going to end very badly lol! If you don't have the mechanical skills or aptitude you should never get a clone,,, or Align Eflite has a large following and that is one of the reasons. I still use clone parts, but only after making sure it's going to work out. I also have a bin full of parts I would never use.

Align is not perfect! No company that pushes out thousands of parts is. Swashes come to mind. Most seem to be the bearings they are using. Take the 500, I think they have gone with 6 upgrades of the same part and I don't think they have it right yet. The 450's develop play as well. So far Tarot using some kind of blue sealed bearing that even after lots of crashes has not developed any play (the ball finally fell out, but no play in the swash bearing.
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:45 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post
I fully Enjoy my Align helis. I have now progessed to flips-loops-rolls-inverts And they always come back to me in one piece. I know their helis can take even more of a beating that i give to them. Align has been very good to me in past years.
I bet that lil compas 360 is going to get some outstanding reviews. Again all so very tempting.
give the Atom 500 a look not much more to get one setup
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:02 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Joined Aug 2012
3,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elios000 View Post
give the Atom 500 a look not much more to get one setup
I will take a look, along with some research. I'm still not sure what my next build will be, I have 3 on my list. ( can only choose one ) I just know I want decent quality going in. What's holding me up now is $ . I have a dx8 coming in for Xmas..Sad , but the wife will only allow one big purchase about every 2-3 months in this hobby. It keeps me out of the dog house. something about retirement in our golden years being important to her if I heard correct. Ha

MHills: Nice post up top
Last edited by Dejavu*Xion; Nov 24, 2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:39 PM
Get to the choppa!
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Sep 2012
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
I had the same experience with my exi pro, but my point is I could've/should've bought an Align for the same price. How much have you put into yours? I have a used gyro & tail servo which saved money but they're used... I still run exi d213f servos on my exi too, which has made it cheaper, but not really because they are $8 each and I always get at least 2 bad ones in a batch and recently none have been perfect... I'm about done with them.

Overall it maybe Slightly cheaper to go with a clone but in all I'd still rather own a real one at that point, and it all fits together. I have to slightly modify the exi servos to work... not a problem of the kit itself, but with an Align combo you know it's going to fit

Well I got the heli for 60.00. But I spent 120 on the e-flite motor/esc. 130 on the savox servos and 100 align on the gyro. But I did originally buy an 4 3.00 servos and a 15.00 gyro which did not last very long.

I guess in the end I spent about the same.
RFDelie is offline Find More Posts by RFDelie
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:57 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFDelie View Post
Well I got the heli for 60.00. But I spent 120 on the e-flite motor/esc. 130 on the savox servos and 100 align on the gyro. But I did originally buy an 4 3.00 servos and a 15.00 gyro which did not last very long.

I guess in the end I spent about the same.
You have the parts you wanted too, but (and not to condescend) but you/we still have a clone... I still have exi tail parts I'd like to upgarde, my align tail is way too smooth and no slop back an forth on the shaft... even with an align shaft.

I'll admit that buying a descent clone (I only have experience with exi personally) you CAN save money and build a nice heli. But if the whole time you're gonna wish it was an align, just buy the Align. I would've never bought exi if I knew I could get a barebones align kit for like $100 more (one sold for even $150).

Anyway anyone buying an align clone seems would also fit into the fanboy category... you know you'll put align parts on it at sometime, especially when you order clone parts and both shafts that come together are bent, or the belt is crap, on & on. And you're basically buying a chea align

To anyone that hasn't already try an align kit vs a clone kit (build and performance) and see... you'll see a clone as kind of a waste of money too.

I know there's better than align, but I have 0 experience with higher end helis and won't act like I know.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:50 PM
Get to the choppa!
Joined Sep 2012
358 Posts
I see where your coming from. I did replace my tail, and you are right, it is much better, the action is smoother and there is zero slop in the pitch adjuster. That went in my power line accident. I came down hard on the tail, and the align parts did not fit well onto my exi tail so I replaced the whole thing.

I was not kidding when I said I have replaced everything except for the swash plate and the cf frame.

Its not that I disagree with you buddy, when I get my 500, I am going to go with an align kit, but I think as a first helicopter it served me well both in building and flight experience. I built it, figured out what wasn't right, I wrecked the cheap parts and replaced them with good parts, then I wrecked a few of those to.

I run a computer repair business and I get asked the question all the time "should I repair or replace my computer" my answer is "If it currently meets your needs and costs less to repair than replace then you should repair it". I kinda feel the same way about my heli, there is nothing that I want to do but cannot, I saved a little bit of money and I am happy with it, which I think is all that really matters.

I made a deal with my wife when I got into this that I would not buy a ton of helicopters, in keeping to that I want every one of my heli's to be different classes so until I sell it or scrap it, it is the only 450 I will own, but I have a micro CP on the way and I want to have a 500 or 550 built by spring. I got the micro cp RTF (not much choice there), but I plan on making my 500 FBL and I want to put it into a fuselage, and that will be an align kit.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:23 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,165 Posts
In your analogy of your advice to your customer... what would your advice be on a new computer a name brand computer (I heard asus makes a lot of other brands motherboards) or a clone 'techiotto-whatever', when you know you have to change out a lot of parts to make it reliable... I bet you wouldn't even carry said clone pc if so, because they are more hassle than they're worth. Maybe I'm going too far because exi is definitely flyable... a couple things aside.

All that matters is that you are happy... I like my exi-align hybrid, I like my align better. Hard to believe you saved money... though you do have a nice heli. I'm just sick of corners cut coming back to haunt me, always happens when I try.

What would your advice to newbs be? Or would it be many times easier for you and them (and not bad advice) to tell them just go buy an align and have fun instead of frustration.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:43 PM
Get to the choppa!
Joined Sep 2012
358 Posts
Well I think I did save in the end (I honestly haven't checked). I got my heli built a little cheaper, crashed it while learning, then built it again with good parts. I had to spend a lot of time tinkering with it to get it the way I like it and learned a lot. But one thing I did not do was skimp on the electronics. I think a lot of people who go cheap on the frame also go cheap on the tech which can lead to a problem. The biggest difference in my heli was when I changed out my 15.00 gyro with the Align gyro. It was a different helicopter after that.

My advice to a new person coming into this hobby is to build, do not buy a RTF, if you ordered a clone and are reading this thread it is not the end of the world. Buy the best electronics you can afford, have patience and STICK WITH IT. So many rush to get into the air and cut corners, then they crash, they don know why (maybe they bought ready to fly and cant figure out what went wrong) and the thing goes into the garage and deemed a bad investment.

I like ASUS, they are almost disposable because they are cheap and spare parts are hard to find. I like to steer my clients towards Dell and Toshiba, when they break there are parts readily available.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:17 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,165 Posts
What if they haven't bought a kit yet, reading this, what would your ultimate advice be?

To someone who bought a clone it's not the end, you're right it's just beginning... just kidding . Seriously though they could definitely hook a clone up and have tons of fun either way. Not by a long shot is a clone a total loss... but I would say hopefully it's a tarot.

+1 on the cheap to nicer gyro, me too, because it actually held the tail and did it's job. The cheap gyro was a complete waste of time and money (I bought 2 gy48v's, anyone interested?)...and from the start I was setting my tail up decently enough, the gyro just sucked.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:33 PM
Get to the choppa!
Joined Sep 2012
358 Posts
I think if that is all that someone can afford then great, the frame is less important as the electronics. But one thing that I learned is that this is an expensive hobby, and if your cutting corners because your cheapnthen go for it, if your cutting corners because you cant afford it otherwise, you may want to consider stamp collecting.