HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:04 AM
Whereditgo???
Glastonbury UK
Joined Apr 2007
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skizziks View Post
martin that almost would be true but cheap junk servos do not work with a flybarless multi axis gyro..the only small heli that gaui makes is a 255 size and no cheap junk clone would even compare to that.......Darsh a good qualist heli can handle the beating and keep flying unlike a cheap clone with cheap head parts..
Sorry skizziks I canít agree!

My son flies a Gaui 255 and I fly a HK 250 (all HK except for hs65 servos Ė no Align bits or fancy gyro)

I have to say that for me, the HK is better value. The HK 250 flies just as well as the Gaui and costs a fraction of the repair bill when you dumb thumb it. My HK 250 is my favourite thrash about heli. My son has to be careful with his Gaui because it costs too much to throw about.

Yes, if you go low end clone, you need to know more about what you are doing in the setup side, and you need to pay attention to detail, but once you figure them out they just work and work. And I chain fly at least 8 to ten flights per session. And I am not known for lots of maintenance! End of session, put away, next session take out again and fly.

Before someone tells me to try a better heli, let me say I have Esky, Walkera, Mini Titan, Gaui 550 Hurricane, HK 450 and HK 250.

Best heli? Gaui 550, but I canít afford to crash it.

Favourite heli? HK 250 with HK 450 right behind it. (Both total HK with the exception of the servos.

Just my 2p, Dave
1winglo is offline Find More Posts by 1winglo
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:37 AM
United States, NJ, Manville
Joined May 2006
1,578 Posts
the HK250 may be a better value for you because you do not fly 3d..If you were flying any 3d you would know that a Gaui is a better machine...Gaui does not produce the Hurricane 550 any more...They manufacture the X2, X4 X4N , X5 and the x7...
skizziks is offline Find More Posts by skizziks
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:49 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elios000 View Post
thats the thing by the time you put the same level of stuff in that 140 buck EXI and replace the few thing that need to be replaced out of the box you might as well of bought the Align kit
Replace what things that "need to be replaced out of the box"? I haven't had to replace anything yet, other than what I damaged in a crash. It flew just fine out of the box, and nothing has worn out yet. A few of the "inexpensive" electronics that I tried have been less than satisfactory, but you can't blame EXI because someone used a cheap Acme ESC. That Acme would have failed in an Align or a GAUI too.

I like my EXI 450, one of the best investments I've ever made. The heli cost $49, I didn't need to replace one single part with an Align part, and I've gotten way more than $49 worth of use and enjoyment out of it. Aside from loctite and adding electronics, it flew just fine out of the box (I have been replacing screws with the Align screw kit only because I hate the JIS screws). I get so fed up when the clone haters make comments that just aren't true.

Yes, there are clones that are just pure garbage - there was a clone that went on sale for $12.00 - I know a few people bought one hoping they could salvage $12 worth of parts out of it - If memory serves even the belt was questionable.

This is one of the dedicated EXI threads. The first comment (1/11/2008) says "got to get outside and do some flying this thing is rock steady, the forward flight is good and fast it is very touchy that could be the i have it set. i think this is going to be a great heli. " The most recent post is from 11/12/2012. At no point in those 4 years and 263 pages of comments has anyone made a list of "the few thing that need to be replaced out of the box".

This is a more generic thread, dedicated to not only EXI, but also Blueray and a few other clones. It started Oct 2 2008, and the most recent post on page 1034 was Oct 31, 2012. I might point out that the person who made that first post 4 years ago, is still active in the thread. Again, no list of things that "need to be replaced out of the box".

I agree there are people who should stay away from all clones at all costs, but there are also those who will be very glad that there was a decent flyable heli in a price range that they could afford.

You can hate on 'em and spread misinformation all you want, they are here to stay.
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:15 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Dollar value, you'll NEVER do better than EXI right out of the box, I hope they come back soon.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:00 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbenderusn View Post
Dollar value, you'll NEVER do better than EXI right out of the box, I hope they come back soon.
I always expected they'd come out with a fbl kit soon...guess not.

I just think maybe X amount of units were ordered to be produced including spare parts and that's the end of the road... it happens all the time, on to the next investment. I can send you to China and they'll clone 10,000 units. just kidding

Other than that I missed the whole beginning of this argument... it sucks, I always miss the good parts! Anyone else feel the urge to sell all your helis and buy gaui? V922whatever had a couple decent points (and a good main point) IMO until it got nasty...

Not being smug at all, I'm not a fan of exi either, having owned a 450 pro. The point was made earlier on in this thread that the Align kit is impressively smooth, I agree... So why mess with the exi? As Elios said, to get the clone kit to the level of Align it cost just as much as a Align super combo... in fact a lot more.

All in all, I will never buy a clone again. Will you guys?
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:02 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,050 Posts
Probably, only because it's what my billfold will allow...and probably RTF, cuz I'm funny like that.
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:12 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
The clones will live on because simply, I'm not going to under normal conditions pay $370-$470 for something I couldn't re-sell for $50 (talking about just the airframe). There are a LOT of people like me that feel this way. It's a matter of how much "disposable income" you have, especially if you're retired or disabled and you're not "well to do" as they put it in the old days.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:26 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Feb 2007
845 Posts
What a bunch of dribble. Do all these heli drivers actually fly or just type on their keyboards? Who cares what you fly, just enjoy the hobby whether that is flying current stuff or out-of-production products like my Gaui 550 (which btw is still being made for whoever thinks otherwise), or find a new hobby.
Blade Crasher is online now Find More Posts by Blade Crasher
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:04 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,703 Posts
Fingus: No I won't...lessons learned for me, those days are over.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:39 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbenderusn View Post
The clones will live on because simply, I'm not going to under normal conditions pay $370-$470 for something I couldn't re-sell for $50 (talking about just the airframe). There are a LOT of people like me that feel this way. It's a matter of how much "disposable income" you have, especially if you're retired or disabled and you're not "well to do" as they put it in the old days.
I bought a 450 trex prov2 kit only (no electronics) for $170 on ebay. I still wish I would've just gone with the super combo. I don't hate clones, but you can get a better deal just buying the Align (as far as the 450 clone discussion).

I hear what you're saying though, especially when I learned on an EXI. Plus I also feel the exi is/was the WAY better option at the time I started, compared to what similarly priced options my LHS's offered; dragonus, helimax... nothing personal against either to the current owners BTW.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:01 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post
Fingus: No I won't...lessons learned for me, those days are over.
It would be very interesting if more people answered this question as well.

Clones saving grace is that quality is a relative viewpoint to the beholder. When I first got my exi I thought it was awesome stock, which I was mainly going off of appearance at the time. Recently with the Align airframe I bought, I felt that same amazement 10 times over... and now I know what to look for.

I don't hate clones, I would just never do it again... it's not worth it.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:56 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,133 Posts
Yeah, but how do you feel about cloned food in our food supply? Why don't you get mad about that?

http://www.naturalnews.com/032605_cl...od_safety.html

All i'm saying about this "clone" subject is you get what you pay for. In this hobby, with most companies. You get LESS than you pay for. The electronics are the MAJOR important part. All the rest is just a question of service life and reliability. They are all almost the same now. To me, anymore. Buying an Align, save for maybe a 700/800 size. It's like saying "Why not pay more for your heli". Since there are so many clones out there that are the EXACT same thing as an Align, but with different/worse electronics, which is the most important part. Besides the fact that Align would sell better and probably have a better rep in 3D circuits if it had a wider variety of kits with better gyros available. Like the Vbar or BeastX. Gaui is the only one i own or really see out there that really packs the value in with known, quality electronics and a over all design that is FAR from a clone of ANYTHING. In fact if you can't see the the difference in a Gaui design over an Align or anything else, i simply can't help. When Gaui's customers complain they release replacement parts to address the customer majority complaints. Like the CNC tail grips, stronger landing skids, etc. Just the sheer thought put into the design of my Gaui is something i have not seen in anything other than maybe a SAB Goblin. But the two are WORLDS apart, especially in price. The Goblin is OVER engineered and much more expensive. Not that it's always a bad thing to be over engineered. It's a great heli, for the money, you know. If you can afford it. . One will likely never see a "Goblin clone" because SAB actually has patents on their designs. We may someday see something similar. But they won't be able to copy SAB's mechanics and belt drive system. Not exactly anyway. This is the major difference between these brands and Align. Or just about every clone out there. Align does not own patents for most of their stuff. Or people wouldn't be cloning it, i'm sure. I wouldn't doubt if Gaui has patents pending or already owned. I'm not holding my breath on seeing a Gaui clone ever either.

I don't even make even half of what V999 is saying he makes. But that doesn't matter. I will NEVER cut corners in this hobby again except to compare and demonstrate to others why it pays to PAY MORE upfront. At least on your electronics. So i can't condemn people for trying to save money on clones. But, in my experience. Saving money upfront, costs you lots more down the road. This holds true to almost everything in life, i think. I'm totally of the camp that says save your money and you will save yourself a headache. In the amount of time it might have taken to save up a few hundred extra dollars you might have already crashed or whatever, the cheaper "clone" heli.

Whatever you do, i don't give a damn. Just don't buy a Walkera over the v120 size.

About V999. I don't always agree with what he says. I often don't agree with his delivery and how he says it. He tends to get a little worked up and might start spewing at the mouth some things, maybe he shouldn't say. I've also seen him be humble and return to apologize. But either way, regardless of what you think about him or what he says. I also think he has the right to say it and YOU have the right to go in your little damn "My RCGroups" control panel and add him to your ignore list. I mean running around power tripping with the report button is a weak man's move. Thats all I'm saying. The stronger person would turn their cheek, call them self the bigger man and walk away. Or in this case, leave the thread, unsubscribe from it and add him to you ignore list so you can move on with your life. Even if you managed to get him banned, he would just make a new account or whatever. Just freaking move on with your lives and ignore his rhetoric. HELL just ignore him if you don't like him. That is the beauty of this technology. The Internet is the last bastion of true freedom of speech and expression left on this planet. Please stop aiding in destroying that because your offended. Just because your offended does not give YOU the right to take someone else's rights away. Policies are in place to keep the peace, but if no one else noticed. Typically moderators only take action when someone is "offended". AKA pressed the "report" button. I know some of you are probably from other countries and may not agree. I know some of you are too young to even understand this concept. But there it is, i said it. Keeping in mind, I did not read though almost ANY of this thread. I did see some remarks that even offended me a little. Little bit much there v999... seriously.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Nov 23, 2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:58 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
It would be very interesting if more people answered this question as well.

Clones saving grace is that quality is a relative viewpoint to the beholder. When I first got my exi I thought it was awesome stock, which I was mainly going off of appearance at the time. Recently with the Align airframe I bought, I felt that same amazement 10 times over... and now I know what to look for.

I don't hate clones, I would just never do it again... it's not worth it.
Ok..Ill give my side of being anti-clone. In the beginning i thought to myself, A clone cant be all that bad and I'll save myself some $'s in the process.
What takes place, and what so many people fail to realize is that it only takes one sub-par or faulty part for a dirt nap to take place. Example: the HK-500's have a tail rotor hub bolt that will snap in half or sheer away. During flight 500's are not so easy to auto down like a 600. In turn that dirt nap trashes your canopy, battery, servos ect..All because of one faulty sub-par clone part. ( whats the cost now ? )
This will also take place with clone soft front and rear t.t gears with the same outcome.
So one will say " well just change out all faulty parts to begin with " And i say, Why not just get a good kit in the first place and avoid the headache altogether, The learning curve from flying quality heli's is greatly decreased. Of course all of this is just my experience and opinion. Clones will always be around, because ther is always a turn over in the hobby. Many people are here today and gone tomorrow.
I figure for every one person that loves clones, Ther are 4 people that would not take the same path again starting out. Helifreak seems to have a thread every few months on ppl's most regretted helis. Take note most are clones.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Last edited by Dejavu*Xion; Nov 23, 2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:13 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post

I mean running around power tripping with the report button is a weak man's move. Thats all I'm saying. The stronger person would turn their cheek, call them self the bigger man and walk away.
I respect your oppinion - be it clones, Ebay (i don't buy from ebay or use paypal - ever) or whatever. I may not agree with your oppinion, but I'll agrue with anyone here who says you can't have one.
But just so we understand each other - you (or anyone else) go beyond just sharing an oppinion and move into personal attacks and intimidation- I won't hesitate to be the "weak man" and and hit that report button.
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:15 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1winglo View Post
Sorry skizziks I canít agree!

My son flies a Gaui 255 and I fly a HK 250 (all HK except for hs65 servos Ė no Align bits or fancy gyro)

I have to say that for me, the HK is better value. The HK 250 flies just as well as the Gaui and costs a fraction of the repair bill when you dumb thumb it. My HK 250 is my favourite thrash about heli. My son has to be careful with his Gaui because it costs too much to throw about.

Yes, if you go low end clone, you need to know more about what you are doing in the setup side, and you need to pay attention to detail, but once you figure them out they just work and work. And I chain fly at least 8 to ten flights per session. And I am not known for lots of maintenance! End of session, put away, next session take out again and fly.

Before someone tells me to try a better heli, let me say I have Esky, Walkera, Mini Titan, Gaui 550 Hurricane, HK 450 and HK 250.

Best heli? Gaui 550, but I canít afford to crash it.

Favourite heli? HK 250 with HK 450 right behind it. (Both total HK with the exception of the servos.

Just my 2p, Dave
Not to mention that the Gaui 255 is discontinued now and they have moved on to the much better designed X2. Which uses 255 mains as well.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk