SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:23 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,107 Posts
BIAS ! why so much bias against Cheap ? Eeer Affordable !

Yes you may need to replace a few parts ! but the end result is still cheap ! ...
So cheap and some common sense [ common sense is getting harder to find these days ] , and depending on use , what is the problem ?

For 3D yes [ high G maneuvers ] you dont want cheap , much like you dont want to go to Formula 1 on a $10,000 budget .. [ Common sense ]

But for a Sunday flyer [ circuit flying ] or for noobs learning to hover ?

A poorly set up expensive / cheap heli = a poorly set up heli , both are equally capable of crashing - etc .

A well set up Expensive / Cheap heli = a well set up heli ...

One might be slightly better than the other , but some one who can barely hold a hover , would they really notice ?

Too much time and effort going into Poo Poo'ing affordable entry level heli kits ..

More effort should go into helping people avoid the pitfalls that can be encountered ..
Such as the possible need to replace parts ...
Try positive - rather than negative !

Expensive is not a guarantee , its a hedge to get better odds !

Hehehehehehe Clones !

Chinese business !

Many of these Micro - Mini - etc , helicopters

Anyhow , some one approaches a chines company to make [ for arguments sake ] 5 thousand units of a Heli ,
Once the contract is met ,

A/ The factory will stop manufacturing it
B/ Keep manufacturing the product hoping original buyer will buy more
C/ Keep manufacturing , and allow 3rd party reps to sell the product under various names
D/ Keep manufacturing , and allow anyone to sell the product ..

To have something manufactured in China or not , invites cloning ..
More so in China ..

many chinese factories allow those who work at the factory to also sell the products manufactured ..
So , once a contractual obligation is met , the result may be lots and lots of clones - from the same factory , with different names .
Or no names [ unbranded ] sold through various outlets [ Ebay comes to mind ]

If you had money , you could go to a Chinese car manufacturer , have what ever name put on the Auto , and sell it under that label .
In fact this started in the USA ..
So if you dont like clones , send a nasty letter to Detroit !
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
Last edited by old4570; Nov 22, 2012 at 05:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:20 AM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V999D02 View Post
X. X. X. X me rigid Doris.

I've eaten breakfast and I'm still not banned.
this kind of stuff is not called for, I can't believe Gaui would actaully hire you... a foul mouthed troll. Nobody here has even taken the time to report you because it is funny watching you make a fool of yourself.
OK, my prescription is charge a couple of paks and go fly....of course that is always my prescription...
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:37 AM
Joined Nov 2012
26 Posts
Well after reading this thread, when I do move up to larger helicopters I don't want to ever buy or support Gaui just in case this guy actually works for them
quikster is offline Find More Posts by quikster
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:23 AM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,705 Posts
v999 was suspended. It kinda sucks. Ya gotta admit he was a colorfull fellow. No i did not agree with him often, And yes he could be very insulting at times. But his postings were ritch in flavor. He came at me a few times as well. None the less i'll still miss the bizzar cat.
Happy thanksgiving everyone.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Last edited by Dejavu*Xion; Nov 22, 2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:29 AM
United States, NJ, Manville
Joined May 2006
1,578 Posts
he does not work for Gaui....Gaui is in Taiwan...I doubt he ever seen Taiwan other than a picture on a greeting card....He is right on a few things but his way of telling the story is wrong...You buy a cheap junk helicopter that is all you will have is a cheap junk helicopter...100 size cheap junk helicopter, no problem ....you crash it you buy new parts until the manufacturer stops making parts in the case of walkera seems to be like every 8 months...when you go to a 500 size or above it become dangerous to have cheap malfunctioning parts or a cheap helicopter...A flying blade off a 500 size helicopter can impale you ...A cheap bad servo can send a heli in your direction quicker than you can blink an eyeball...I have flown clones and I have built franken helis for my own amusement....be careful when you fly and if it seems not right do not fly it...
skizziks is offline Find More Posts by skizziks
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:35 AM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
LOL...wow! Glad this is done eh?

The only differences I ever seen between the 450 pros of Align, EXI, and Keep R/C is the use of parts that wouldn't make a quality check for Align (eg. warped main and auto rotation gears, cheaper/softer hardware). I've also seen on the cheaper ones where there would normally be metal, but plastic parts were used. I would LOVE to see X-Heli get a re-supply of EXI 450 Pro's, because they ARE better than Keep R/C 450 Pro's. The Align 450 Pro is smooth as butter right out of the box, they are impressive. The EXI 450 Pro is ALMOST as good out of the box as the Align. The Keep R/C 450 pro, you got a 50% chance that you'll have to order Align parts before it's safe and smooth enough to fly. I think the makers of EXI helicopters are re-tooling because of the changes I've seen on the new 450 pro's comming out, or they may just be shutting down...who knows?
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:39 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
I would like to make an observation. People in other countries have no idea of how much Horizon influences the RC hobby in the USA. Their products are sold in virtually every hobby shop in the country and they outsell everything else by a significant margin. It's hard to beat the convenience and many people don't mind paying the premium, as it also goes to support the LHS. I do not think Blade products are the best by any means, but they represent a significant part of the market. You can't help other people very much if you aren't attuned to what they buy. Pontificating about other products that are so much better isn't helping anyone.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:56 AM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,496 Posts
ok ill bite

clones are totally awful but darn close and more so for some one new
and you really dont save any thing in the end

since almost all clones if we are talking about Align clones need most major parts replaced to make them decent models

the issue is the new builder pilot wont know this and when your learning
you need a good solid heli so your not guessing if its you or the heli that the issue

so you end up spending just as much if not more in the long run in "upgrades" and replacements then if you just got the Align kit
and this doesnt even count that once you be the same level of electronics in the clone its not that much less then that Align super combo
Elios000 is online now Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:30 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,705 Posts
Spot on Elios000.. I have to been there done that. Would have just been a better savings if I would have went with a good brand name from the start. Live and learn eh.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:34 PM
Get to the choppa!
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Sep 2012
358 Posts
I started with an Exi 450 sport, learned to fly, crashed a few times, replaces parts as they go bad, now I have a complete align bird with the exception of the swashplate which has held on strong. I have no issue with align parts. I am the only person around who has align as most of the hobby shops around here are all blade stuff. Even if everyone Iinew had an align bird I still would not care because I am not flying to make a statement. I enjoy flying a helicopter, it is something to do other than work. I like my bird to look good and in my opinion it does. Speaking of good looking birds, time to eat, Happy Thanksgiving!

BTW, the modderators in this forum are idiots. Not to say that some people do not deserve what they get, but I have had a few of my posts removed for stupid stuff. GET A LIFE!
RFDelie is offline Find More Posts by RFDelie
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:10 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
There are cheap clones that exist only to make someone a profit and nothing else, and there are decent clones that aren't a bad investment - depending on what you plan to do with it.
I have the EXI "plastic" 450 - the cheapest one they make. The only "plastic" is the head and tail, and they held up and flew just fine (about a year) until a crash that I suspect was caused by static discharge. It's my understanding that the Align SE V2 is also susceptable to static discharge? Just replacing the EXI stuff with genuine Align parts most likely would not have prevented the crash. An expensive Align head would not have survived the crash undamaged either. I replaced them with the EXI metal head and tail and I'm quite happy.
I don't expect to see any EXI clones winning any 3D competition in the near future; but no, most major parts don't need to be replaced to make it a decent model.
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:11 PM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Interesting thread to say the least, it seems that most people are in either one camp or another, with no real consensus of whats better. Consider me a noob at building, but after changing,upgrading and repairing multiple helis (mostly the B450 and the FC v2) I was considering a kit from HK and pretty much copying my B450 except FBL this time. Most times I fly tail in and a bit left and right, so theres no chance of any crazy maneuvers going in my future. Am I wrong to want to stay at the learnig/building stage for a little as possible for now? My eventual goal is for smooth scale flying.
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:17 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFDelie View Post
BTW, the modderators in this forum are idiots. Not to say that some people do not deserve what they get, but I have had a few of my posts removed for stupid stuff. GET A LIFE!
The issues here went way beyond just this thread. Considering the mod(s) may be located here and trying to enjoy Thanksgiving, I think they did a pretty good job. Frankly, I didn't expect to get any response until Friday (and I honestly expected I'd be banned by then as well).
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:18 PM
Get to the choppa!
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Sep 2012
358 Posts
I like scale flying to. Maybe a few rolls and forward flight loops, but I do not like the helicopter on crack maneuvers. Honestly the kit is not so important, it is the motor, servos, gyro, and esc that make or break a heli
RFDelie is offline Find More Posts by RFDelie
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:26 PM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFDelie View Post
I like scale flying to. Maybe a few rolls and forward flight loops, but I do not like the helicopter on crack maneuvers. Honestly the kit is not so important, it is the motor, servos, gyro, and esc that make or break a heli
That was my thinking exactly, but like I said, I'm sort of a noob so it may have been flawed and was hoping the "experts" would have a more open minded opinion. Heck I even love my MJX F45, it may be a cheap toy but I tell you, it flies great and can take some abuse, with some minor mods.
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse