SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:07 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,705 Posts
** This is not directed at anybody here**

For "some" people that claim they dont want to fly 3D or have no interest in it. I believe it to be just a cop out. I'm living proof. This time last year I was at the stage of thinking i will never acquire the skill set to fly 3D.
So in order to juice up the hobby for myself i thought i would get into scale. ( built 3 ) Deep down i really wanted to flip around in the sky, Inverts ect.. So i kept one 450 pod and boom And an open wallet Just in case for some unknown reason 3d would click for me. I quit being so lazy on working with a Sim, Did my first real life loops, stationary flips, inverts ect.. IT WAS AN AWSOME FEELING. Going back to flying my scale ships became a huge bore for me.
You have no idea how hard it was on me to not want to try to 3d my scale models. Was pointless so i sold em. So anybody out there reading this and feel you are in my same shoes. Dont cop out, or sell yourself short. Its really not all that hard. One day it all just clicks, And from there you just go forward. C'mon,,,Deep down dont ya just want to tear up some sky with a heli ? How can you not want to..
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:09 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by old4570 View Post
My aspirations are to be a decent sunday flyer and little more , and if one day I was able to get into and maintain inverted flight , then that would probably be my Mount Everest .
You could have stated that once or more over the past year. I think I agree with you, but I've only heard about the hovering and crashes (I've been there myself and BTDT of course..)
I think most people assume that when you build a cheap 3D heli, you will be trying or are flying 3D. Maybe say this is a scale heli.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:18 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post
C'mon,,,Deep down dont ya just want to tear up some sky with a heli ? How can you not want to..
I tear up the sky and my helis somewhat sometimes. I just got bored with planks, and only fly 'hard to fly' airplanes now. I do still have a 3ch plane and a mCX though. The hobby has lasted me 8 years so far, and I can't see buying a boat, RxR motorcycle or Lotus Elise yet. Maybe knitting or interpretive dance?
Last edited by eagle777; Dec 15, 2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:23 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,496 Posts
i just think its a waste to only fly "scale" when we can do so much more
and really thanks to the Redbull even sport aerobatics are scale now lol

i just think any one that doesnt want to fly an aircraft any aircraft to edge of its envelope is nuts lol
im not a pro but i fly to the edge of my abilities
but then i like challenges and pushing the limits
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:27 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,519 Posts
Just because you can use a 3D setup on a none 3D heli don't make it right or fly better! Someone starting out on a 450 set up for scale, but with a high head speed would learn a lot quicker than someone starting with a heli set up for 3D.

I set up my 500e for 3D all flybar. Then I put it in a scale fuse. I can not fly it slow at all. If I slow down the head, it takes too long to recover when going up and down. Someone starting out would plow it into the ground. A pro did this last year at the Align world fly using a scale heli.

Now if I put it in idle up it will recover, but it can not be flown slowly easily. Once you start it a going it really wants to keep a going lol! Also not good for a beginner. Now I have not changed the mechanical set up only because I am putting a FBL head on it.

I also agree that someone who knows what they are looking at and more how things work can use and get a clone. Like I have said in the passed, I have right now five clones. Mostly because I like to tinker, but also because I already have a lot of quality parts. Also the tinker statement should not be taken lightly. To me that means more I like to take a kit that sucks and fix it up to fly well lol! It's like a challenge to get a piece of crud back into the air. I don't do it to really save money. I have two 250's that have cost me much more than if I would have just gotten the kits and that is no joke. I kept track of spending on the last one.

I do have other reasons. My wife would kill me if I spent $400 right now on a new kit. But I guess it's OK for me to sneak a kit into the house a part at a time that cost me $600 Or get a kit for $100 tell her and show her it only cost $100 and then spend $500 to get it air worthy lol
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:48 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,350 Posts
I look at clones as that first car you get when you are learning to drive. You don't want a dirt cheap Yugo. On the other end you don't go out and buy a Corvette. I think the hobby affords a reasonable balance between price and performance. At this point all my current 450s and the 500 cost about half what their Align counterparts cost. However they all fly very well because I set them up correctly. I have never replaced parts with Align genuine parts EVER on any. It's just that some clone companies are better than others especially when it comes to replacement parts. I will admit though that once I get to a point in my flying skills where I can fly the 3D I want, I will be getting into something like a Logo or Gaui. Just wish they had decent clones 5-6 years ago. Then I would have been in this hobby sooner.
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:53 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,519 Posts
I found myself on the side of the road a lot with my beater lol!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:07 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
You've just been reading about my problems and offering suggestions for my beater helis Thanks for telling me how to fix my crap though!
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:23 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,350 Posts
Quote:
Heck...I still drive a beater...
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:27 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777 View Post
You've just been reading about my problems and offering suggestions for my beater helis Thanks for telling me how to fix my crap though!
Yes and I said I was sorry! I just looked at the problem and not who posted it. Without knowing the new and past problem all is just a best guess. Call me next week and set up a appointment must have your issuance card present please!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:45 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,887 Posts
No, I don't want to "tear up the skies" with a heli. I have two scale helis and flying them in as scale-like manner as possible is extremely satisfying. Slamming the sticks on my transmitter and watching my helicopter bounce around the sky like a pissed-off dragonfly looking for its next hit off a crack pipe while listening to the collective groan of the blades, batteries, ESC, and all other components being stressed beyond their limits does absolutely nothing for me.

See what I did there?

I don't like clone helis. Don't trust 'em. And I don't like 3D. That doesn't mean I look down my nose on the people that fly clones and/or like to fly 3D. You buy/fly what you like and that's perfectly fine by me. Fly an HK 500 decked out with Turnigy components? Hey, if that's what you like, good for you. I've got no issue with that at all. If we all flew the same thing and the same way, this hobby would be pretty damn boring. Believe me, I think the Goblin is a beautiful machine and I marvel at its mechanical uniqueness but I won't ever buy one... it's a purpose-build extreme 3D machine that would be absolutely wasted on me and the way I fly.

You're the 2nd member of these forums that have claimed the lack of interest in 3D heli flying is an excuse for lack of flying skills. Honestly I'm tired of hearing that.

/rant off

/zips up flame suit
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Repairing the T-28... again
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:17 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Call me next week and set up a appointment must have your issuance card present please!
Just send an updated gantt report, and the relavent data for my minions. Rgds.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:29 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777 View Post
Just send an updated gantt report, and the relavent data for my minions. Rgds.
Ohh! you had to bring them into this. You know I have had to lay off some of them and this is just going to bring up more labor disputes. Fine I will take your case just don't start them up again!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:33 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Ohh! you had to bring them into this. You know I have had to lay off some of them and this is just going to bring up more labor disputes. Fine I will take your case just don't start them up again!
This is in your court. Take the ball and dunk it, slap the floor and get back to NY, you crazy dude!
Last edited by eagle777; Dec 15, 2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:32 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,107 Posts
Hehehehe

Ohhh - im still Noob ! I make no other claim but noobness !

And I also make the claim that I did it the hard way - myself without help ! and that means learning from mistakes !

And in the RC hobby as a whole . mistakes cost money ! and there is the issue for me , I really looked into this hobby to see if I could afford it ...

It was not just the entry fee [ Radio + heli ] but everything ...

When I first came to this forum , they told me everyone crashes OK , I just hoped to crash less , but going DIY , no hope ..

My first 3 months were hell [ enjoyable sort of hell ] , I probably made all the noob mistakes ..

It took time , but I learned , and I payed [ $ ] for my mistakes .

So when starting I had to figure how much money I had to throw away or at this hobby , and to be honest , about $20 a week ... = about a Grand a year .

Thats right , im not rich .. So the hobby had to be affordable ..

I did go over budget , but thats ok , the hobby hasnt broken the bank just yet , and I have enough gear now to last a long time ..

Anyhow , my back yard is probably the worst place for a heli , many obstructions and not much space for mistakes .. So I went through quite a few rotor blades , and when i left the back yard I made other Boo Boo's that brung me some huge impacts with terra firma .. Anyhow I had a budget to stick to . Rotor blades cost like $5 a pair , main drive cogs motor shafts , drive shafts - feathering shafts all cost money and I bent or broke them on a regular basis ..

Knock on wood , havent bent or broken anything for quite some time - OK - I broke a servo messing about with Gyros - but that was experimental and a community service , so I dont mind it costing me @ $2 servo ..

So , the question at the beginning was - how much $ , this is what dictated my path , cos it needed to be affordable .. [ For me - I dont care about anyone else ]

The path chosen has taught me a lot , was it worth it - YES !

I know what the gear I use can do , and in no shape or form make any claims other than that it flies well , is more than capable of teaching the basics ..

Is it the best path for everyone - Obviously not , but I will never ever - till the end of days - say anything but - it is a viable option [ cheap gear ] that has limitations [ No 3D ] but will serve you well - if [ this goes for everyone ] you have a clue .

I can understand , if you can fly , you can hover upside down , you can do tick tocks , why on earth would you want a cheap kit ! Why would you want cheap servos etc

You want gear thats going to compliment your skills or skill level .
And I have nothing against that - never have ..

But obviously some have trouble seeing the other side , and in this regard obviously to me and many others - one is sort of taking a leak into the wind !

Opinion is opinion ! and people are people , so this entire discussion is almost entirely a complete and utter waste of time !

If you cant see another perspective , if you cant walk a mile in some one else s shoes , well , thats not really my problem . And I dont want it to be my problem .

But I will call a rose a rose , and fertilizer / fertilizer . Thats who I am .

[ A noob by any other name ]

But I havent crashed in a long time , Im improving and trying to move out to parks or open areas .. Circuits are about it for now - and this has been a busy year - School 5 days a week - lots of home work - and the weather has been horribly windy . So my hours have been down a little ..

As for cheap kits - my first one - Ive said it before - its been to hell and back , Ive learned so much from that one , and its set up really well for a cheap kit .
I have better kits , I have a carbon all metal flying and its maybe 10 to 15% better .

I just got me a HK450 yes the cheap one ! $28 Kit ..
Its for next year , Im going to retire my first kit , its done enough work ..
And put the HK450 in the air next year .

I still have a $10 with shipping kit and a $9 with shipping kit as spare parts .
Now if you try to buy these now , there $40 and up ..
But I have 3 of these running , and they fly just fine ..

So I have a problem when people put down cheaper gear ..

Yes there are obvious differences - Cheap is just that - but many just refuse to accept that if built properly [ without flaws ] they work well .
As to the ability of noobs to do so ? Well thats where HELP comes in .
If skill knowledge etc is shared , help given , then maybe they will have a better time of it than those who went DIY .

I suffered the DIY pain , but I dont blame the gear for it - even if it was cheap .
I put the blame where it belongs - on me - for lacking the skill and knowledge required - but thats where learning comes in . And sharing what was learned .

There are so many variables and things to talk about , I just canT cover everything , and Im 100% sure folks will find holes to poke at ,
Feel free ..
https://hotfile.com/dl/162805261/562...Guide.pdf.html

Noobness = Nothing better !

I never want to be an expert or a pro ! The burden of knowing everything and being right all the time is just too great .
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
Last edited by old4570; Dec 16, 2012 at 06:55 AM.