HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:38 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFDelie View Post
I think if that is all that someone can afford then great, the frame is less important as the electronics. But one thing that I learned is that this is an expensive hobby, and if your cutting corners because your cheapnthen go for it, if your cutting corners because you cant afford it otherwise, you may want to consider stamp collecting.
I don't necessarily disagree. But I would add to seriously consider an Align
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:00 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post
A little off topic here. but what the hey . What i have my eye on is this ..http://www.rc711.com/shop/alzrc-devi...th=165_273_353

Simply awsome a 480 size heli on 6s. Only what makes me hesitant is that it is made by alzrc. I'm guessing the same quality as tarot. ( not great-but not bad) Would be awsome if align or Gaui would come out with this size. It has the potential to kill off the 450 on 3s..well a big dent anyways.

Here is hoping that a 480 on 6s will be made in the future by many other brands. Then again there is the new "warp 360" But not a true size 480. Otherwise i would have bought yesterday with all the trimings. Bounced check or not. ha
The Gaui X4 is a 6S size 4XX whatever helicopter. It uses a 8mm main shaft and a 6S pack with i think 425mm main blades. But the Gaui X4 is bigger than the Alzrc 480 Devil. The 480 Devil uses 325mm to 360mm mains. The output of 6S on 325 seems like total overkill to me. But i suppose it will be a screamer. 6S battery is heavy though and has the power to swing much larger blades for better stability and performance. I'm not excactly impressed by the 480 devil concept at first glance. I just think for 325mm blades 3S is fine and provides more than enough power to mass ratio if you use good batteries. The problem with the Gaui X4 is it almost costs as much as the X5. So you might as well get the X5 which also uses a 8mm main shaft but has 520mm main blades with 6S. I suppose it just depends on what size your looking for. But i don't know why Gaui priced the X4 like this. Still, if you happened to be a nitro guy the NX4 looks pretty damn sweet for a small size nitro heli. Because the electric version sure is not that affordable, thats for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
One works great, one a little less than great... no comparison. I've owned both, they still both work, just one not as good.

Barebone pro kits: Exi $70 or Align $170 (doesn't necessarily exist)... which one would you choose?

I wouldn't consider myself a fanboy of Align, I only own one, bought recently, and simply put everything is a LOT smoother than my exi. The tail, head, gear mesh, everything is smoother.
I wasn't really calling you or anyone here necessarily a fanboy or anything. But there are those out there that will insist that Align is the end all of helicopters and there is nothing better. The truth is, if you have any mechanical aptitude you start to see things for what they are. Every bearing is not created equal, but almost ANY damn blade grip will work. CF is also not necessarily all created the same either. So it's very likely that some "clone" brands have a cheaper polymer resin mixed with the CF. It could be that some are more brittle or anything like that. So really Align is a good brand. I have nothing terrible to say about them. Their electronics are not "great" but they use about the minimum they can get away with and still keep a good value going. They are still leagues above Walkera or any clone electronics i can think of. The great thing about Align is they are locally available for most. The parts are always there and you can order them anywhere. Unlike most of the better brands that i suppose could be considered "less popular" by some. Align makes a solid heli but they are still the "starter" brand. Don't get me wrong. If you know what your doing and have mechanical and electronic aptitude you can build an Align frame with much better servos than the Savox/Align servos that come with the models. You can then install a CC ice or better ESC and a Vbar, BeastX or any of the so called "better" Gyros. The truth is any 3 axis gyro these days will have you flying rookie flights. Circles and patterns. But when your doing 3D these "better" gyros really do perform better. The 3GX does seem like a damn decent gyro and i'm sure it holds up very well compared to a Walkera gyro or any off clone brand gyro. But those Robird/Blackwidow gyros and the the Tarot ZYX really seem to be making waves these days.

Either way, i hold strong to my basis that if you understand the mechanics, how to fix, setup and maintain them. Especially bearings and things, replacing poor bearings with Abec bearings and things like that is very easy and can go a long way for very cheap on your clone. But the most important thing is that you understand the electronics. Electronic principals and have good electronics that all work correctly together. Without this basic essential you will basically be flying a time bomb. Poor electronics have a short service life, often will bring your heli down in the air. You might not even understand what happened, but your wallet will. This is why Align is not so bad. They have this stuff all worked out for you. But they are far from the best in the industry. Quality no doubt. But not top quality because their electronics simply are not top quality. Although i have been loving my Savox servos, who make the Align servos. These 450 size ones seem to have pots that fail very easily causing jittery servos in some random point in their travel. The servo will still operate but it will maybe jitter around when you move the stick around without a load on the rotor. Otherwise they are very good servos that have taken a beating and many crashes without any issues other than the pots failing. I did have to replace the gears a few times but man, those things take a hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
Tarot got it's self in real trouble just this last winter. I think one reason you see tarot now trying to make parts of their own design. ALZRC got started in china making upgrade/replacement parts and started down the same path as tarot. Recently they too have started trying to "change" their parts a little more. ALZRC has also branched out to cloning GAUI X5 parts.
Most people that try to put some kind of connection to Align are either being duped by the place they get parts from or are just misinformed. Country of origin gives away what parts you are buying. If you get a part that says Align look for made in Taiwan. If it's missing or says made in china, it's not Align.

The early clones were really rather good! They had no real outlet for bearings so most of them used quality ones. All you had to do was do your own quality inspection and you were on your way.

Electronics plays a large role in a good experience. Unlike what some would like you to think Align cares. Now they don't care about YOU, but they do care about sells and reputation. That is why they try to only sell combos. In research they found most peoples issues were electronic and not the align kits. Why do you think these forums are not full of Align topics? After combining tried and tested electronics with the kits most problems are small and individual things that come up with any hobby.

Not everyone can look at a part and know it is good or this is going to end very badly lol! If you don't have the mechanical skills or aptitude you should never get a clone,,, or Align Eflite has a large following and that is one of the reasons. I still use clone parts, but only after making sure it's going to work out. I also have a bin full of parts I would never use.

Align is not perfect! No company that pushes out thousands of parts is. Swashes come to mind. Most seem to be the bearings they are using. Take the 500, I think they have gone with 6 upgrades of the same part and I don't think they have it right yet. The 450's develop play as well. So far Tarot using some kind of blue sealed bearing that even after lots of crashes has not developed any play (the ball finally fell out, but no play in the swash bearing.
+1 everything you said is basically how i feel.

This is why i feel Gaui is going to get much larger and is currently one of the best heli on the market. I feel they are trying to show Align up and want to do so in a bad way with their kits. This issue with swash bearings you brought up is something Gaui has addressed directly. As well as just about any of their customers worries and demands. As far as i can tell, they don't intend to play around. They are determined to produce a top quality helicopter and get larger market shares because of it. Gaui X5 swashes probably X7 too, can be dissembled to replace the swash bearing as needed. There are ceramic and other bearings available now. I'm not a fan of the plastic tail grips on the X5 though. But, they released CNC upgrade tail grips because I'm sure I wasn't the only one disappointed. Though they work great and i don't expect any issue with them. I will be getting the CNC versions. Otherwise the X5 requires very little modification to be a damn near perfect heli, in my opinion. Not that Align is bad. I'm just saying, they are trying and succeeding at surpassing Align these days. My X5 has me sold on a X2 and a X7 when i decide to get my next helicopters. Which will be a wile, after dropping $1500 on my X5 and DX8.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:33 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,126 Posts
Seems like the thread is being pointedly steered back to Gaui. You wouldn't happen to be v999's other account would you?
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:27 AM
Joined Aug 2012
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex2visuvesi View Post
Clones do the job, maybe not as well as one would like but they do generate an interest in the hobby, without breaking the bank.
Clones all the way at this point ...I love to build and OMG why pay $1000 if I can get it for $200.....as long as the quality is good Im in...
cantyman is offline Find More Posts by cantyman
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:01 AM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantyman View Post
Clones all the way at this point ...I love to build and OMG why pay $1000 if I can get it for $200.....as long as the quality is good Im in...
Well , thats the point here. What I'm getting from this thread is that the quality isnt as good and how do you know which ones are good and which ones arent ?

See , I'm still on the fence and dont have allot of experience building yet, as in I dont know a what servos,ESC's , etc are better, and the same goes for kits.
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:38 AM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Horse View Post
Well , thats the point here. What I'm getting from this thread is that the quality isnt as good and how do you know which ones are good and which ones arent ?

See , I'm still on the fence and dont have allot of experience building yet, as in I dont know a what servos,ESC's , etc are better, and the same goes for kits.
your a good candidate for an Align kit the electronics are middle of the road not top end and not crap and kits build well quality is there and there are tons of videos on just about all the kits over on helifreak

at that point it comes down to what you want to spend a 450 to 550 is a good size range to start with even a 600 if you have some guys to help and the money for it

im the 500 and 550 are right in the middle good size price isnt nuts and parts arnt bad

the other option is some thing like a Compass package from a good shop like Nankin hobbies
they can set up with an Atom 500 with the same level of electronics for a bit more

its just do you want it cheap ie get a clone
all in one box with middle of the road every thing get an Align super combo
or a great heli with good gear for a bit more Compass, Protos etc
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:06 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Good advice Elios000, not to start a war, but how would you rate the Blade 450 ? I have one and other than replacing the 3 main servos with metal gear ones, I feel its a solid heli. Are the Aligns a step up or down from this ? And how would you compare it to the clones like HK has ?

This would give me some idea of where to go and what I might be dealing with.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:05 AM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
Seems like the thread is being pointedly steered back to Gaui. You wouldn't happen to be v999's other account would you?
It can get annoying for sure. The ignore button is a blessing in forums from all the fan boys.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:14 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post
It can get annoying for sure. The ignore button is a blessing in forums from all the fan boys.
OK, I give...... whats a "fan Boy"
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:38 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,171 Posts
The blade is a good first heli. Also if your not good at setting up or have someone that can help you setup. I have had guys get a align 450 without help thought it was ok and got a blade 3D with the beast and love it to death. After they knew what they were doing put the spektrum/beast from the blade on the old align with a FBL head and loved the align even more lol!

Fan Boy (usually reserved for blade owners) Is people who have blind devotion to a brand.

Gaui started out with tons of problems, known as great helis once your replaced half the parts. From what I understand they have been bought out and the new owners have started from the ground up with a smaller operation centered more on quality than pushing products. First focus on the multicopters and now their lineup of X's helicopters.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by mhills51; Nov 25, 2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:39 AM
Need More PURPLE !!
Joined Aug 2012
3,639 Posts
A person that only favors or talks of one brand name on a consistent basis. And dogs other well proven brand names or finds fault in all others.......nothing wrong with fan loyalty, only some take it to an extreme.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:57 AM
Get to the choppa!
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Sep 2012
358 Posts
This is really a moot point honestly. The end result is that no matter what you spend you will have a helicopter that flies and you can start enjoying this wonderful hobby. You can spend 300 - 400 building a heli that will do what you need it to do or you can spend 1000 for the same size helicopter. But as a new pilot, you probably will not notice a difference.

Every person has different goals and requirements, this is why some people buy a prius and some people buy a Lamborgini. Sure if you have a lamborgini all of your friends will be jealous, but a prius will still get you to work. It's not like you are going to ride the bus just because you do not have enough for a lamborgini.

Buy the most expensive gyro - servos - esc you can afford and enjoy flying your helicopter.

Go Steelers!
RFDelie is offline Find More Posts by RFDelie
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:17 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Joined Aug 2012
3,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFDelie View Post
This is really a moot point honestly. The end result is that no matter what you spend you will have a helicopter that flies and you can start enjoying this wonderful hobby. You can spend 300 - 400 building a heli that will do what you need it to do or you can spend 1000 for the same size helicopter. But as a new pilot, you probably will not notice a difference.

Every person has different goals and requirements, this is why some people buy a prius and some people buy a Lamborgini. Sure if you have a lamborgini all of your friends will be jealous, but a prius will still get you to work. It's not like you are going to ride the bus just because you do not have enough for a lamborgini.

Buy the most expensive gyro - servos - esc you can afford and enjoy flying your helicopter.

Go Steelers!
Sounds Golden to me... Knew I liked you for some reason. Hail Steelers Nation..

I did not buy the football package this year, and not in a mood to go sit in a bar this a.m. to watch our team. I'm streaming the game on my pad. Not as good, but will have to do..ha
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:44 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,171 Posts
Don't talk to me about football
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:53 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Joined Aug 2012
3,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
Don't talk to me about football
Sup chiefs fan...( snicker snicker ) . So far so good for you at 6-0 My Vegas bet says peyton will be football/god like in second half..ha

What ? I'm in the wrong forum today ? Lol