HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:39 PM
Joined Jan 2004
345 Posts
Discussion
NeoFun Vision/Cox Katidid reVision

Well, a friend of mine wanted to try flying RC about four years ago, and bought a Neofun Vision ARF against my advice. I gave him a 3 channel Airtronics radio I had in the closet, and away he went. Well, the plane wasn't successful for him, so after a few crashes he brought it to me to try and fly. Man! that thing was a dog on the Norvel .061. I couldn't get it to fly, and I've been flying 1/2A since the mid-70's.

Last year I mentioned I wanted to get back into 1/2a, so my friend gave me the crashed remains. I put it in the garage, and would look at it from time to time, but never did anything with it. The more I looked at it, the more I decided I really didn't like it at all. Well, last week I was cleaning up the garage, and finally decided to do something with the remains. I started to just repair it, but couldn't bring myself to waste time fixing something I didn't care for. So, I decided to remake it into what I thought it should have looked like in the first place.

First thing I did was strip the fuselage covering and see what I had. Then, I cut the top down by 1 1/2" to follow the line from the tail, and cut 3/4" off the bottom to make it look right. I was trying to re-use all the wood I cut away so I didn't have to dig into my scrap pile, but ended up having to use some new wood for the hatch behind the firewall. I debated whether to delete the landing gear altogether or make it a taildragger. I went ahead and installed the gear blocks, but I'll probably fly without the gear to save a half ounce of flying weight. I replaced the Airtronics gear with a Hitec mini receiver, three HS-55 servos, and a generic AAA battery holder for a 3 ounce weight saving on the electronics.

After giving it a cursory sanding (I didn't feel like spending a lot of time on finish work), I pulled out some spare covering material that'd been in the closet for the past 15 years. The original plane had a solid black fuse with red wing and stab, so I stayed with red and black, though it isn't my first choice for colors. Boy! 15 years is long enough to let me forget how much I hate Econocote.

I didn't weigh it before I started, or take any pictures. But, the manufacturer specs say it weighs 24 oz, and here on RC Groups I've read 20 oz, 24 oz RTF, and 24oz without electronics. I'd probably go with the 24 oz RTF with standard radio gear. With the electronics savings, and the removed wood and nose gear, it now has a flying weight of just over 16 ounces with the gear on.

It turned out to be a nice little motor glider. The weather's too lousy up here in Oregon to go fly, so it'll probably be a while before I see how it flies, but it should fly pretty good.

Here's a picture of the original box, and some of the result. Hope Y'all like it:

gettinout is offline Find More Posts by gettinout
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:40 AM
Michigan, USA
Joined Jul 2006
577 Posts
I had a Cox Katydid for awhile - thought I was going to teach my son to fly with it. Also a dog - you really had to nurse it along on a Norvel .061. Finally tip stalled it and crashed. It would've been an easy repair, but I had gotten it for cheap at a swap meet so into the trash it went. Glad to see you were able to make something useful out of yours.
GliderJim is offline Find More Posts by GliderJim
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:20 PM
United States, MT, Superior
Joined Dec 2006
74 Posts
I bought mine when the "NORVELITES" were all raving 'bout their .074 engines being so powerful that they were getting rid of all their .15 size engines.(Makes you kinda wonder what brand of 15 engine they were using.) I even had one guy tell me that the Neofun was gonna be "too quick" if I used the Norvel .061 for power.!!! ........ Took one look at that plane, weighed all the pieces, then didn't even consider the .061. I made a new wing joiner(removed all the dihedral), cut 'bout half the trailing edge off, installed .ailerons, & bolted an Enya .09 on the thing. Wish that I hed removed all the excess lumber that GETTINOUT did. Plane had ample power, but overall, sure wasn't anything to write home about. I left mine as a "belly flopper" too. That horizontal stab is ok if you're using the trike gear, but the way it is now, it's gonna catch every twig,stone, & weed that come in it's path. Hope you have a nice clean field. First time that I "dumb-thumbed" mine & did some minor damage, it ended up in the trash can. ............... George K.
mtntopgeo is offline Find More Posts by mtntopgeo