HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:24 PM
Shipped to work. Wife safe.
Canada, eh?
Joined Jan 2007
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr View Post
And you could not figure all that out just by looking at the pictures of the two? Ive never flown the x1, but just by looking at the pictures I could tell the gear drive was a major standout. Props are different, cowl is different. YOu could have spotted this stuff Thai.

Not trying to give you a hard time, but you're bashing my review and saying its an advertisement. Why? I covered setup, detailed descriptions of the parts, and settings for the transmitter for best results. I took every picture myself and shot the video. What should I have done to make it less of an advert? Take blurry pictures? Maybe make up negative aspects so to seem unbiased?

Give me some ideas bro.
Didn't say it was an advertisement. Read my comments, they're unedited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thai View Post
Ok seriously, I can't see what major differences there are between the 1SQ and X1. The X1 is almost 1/4 the price and the specs are almost identical, if not in favor of the X1. The X1 actually comes with a larger 350mah battery (compared to the 1SQ's 250mah). They both have a 3-axis gyro. 2.4ghz radio. This article is supposed to be a "review" so me questioning it's comparison with another is with merit. If it was an advertisement, then I wouldn't be so quick to take away it's thunder.

And no I seriously couldn't tell the difference between the 2. I've gone back and forth between the 2 countless times.

Quote:
No, they dont. Except for the size and the fact they are quads
^^ Certainly gives one the impression they're the same size.
Thai is offline Find More Posts by Thai
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:28 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
4,960 Posts
gotcha. I stand corrected on you saying its an advert. my bad.

Lets agree to disagree on the similarities between the 1SQ and the X1.
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:41 PM
gilford, new hampshire, usa
Joined Nov 2003
825 Posts
what is the official bind sequence on these? Do I have to take off the top each time and press that little button? Is that clearly in the instruction book?
nebuchadnezzar is offline Find More Posts by nebuchadnezzar
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:00 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
4,960 Posts
you only need to bind once, and its in the AnyLink instructions.
Matt
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:08 PM
Joined Dec 2012
51 Posts
I'm thinking of heading to my local hobby shop and buying a few more 1S 250mAh LiPo's. Is it hard on the quad to run through 2 or 3 batteries without giving it a rest?
MogusMaximus is offline Find More Posts by MogusMaximus
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:28 AM
One with the machine
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Oct 2010
393 Posts
Great review!
SuperFPVflyer is offline Find More Posts by SuperFPVflyer
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:59 AM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MogusMaximus View Post
I'm thinking of heading to my local hobby shop and buying a few more 1S 250mAh LiPo's. Is it hard on the quad to run through 2 or 3 batteries without giving it a rest?
No, but I let my batteries cool off before I recharge them. They warm up ever so slightly after a flight. It shouldn't hurt to run a bunch of charged batteries through the model.
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:21 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,050 Posts
I too notice an ever so slight turn to the right while in flight. At first I thought it was my thumb leaning on the stick (no pinching here), but that was not the case, it does seem to turn to the right a little bit. Weird thing is if you try to trim it out with the TX, it'll start turning left, so now I unconsciously correct while it flies. Don't even care about trivial stuff like that, it's still a BLAST to fly!
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:19 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
4,960 Posts
matiac, what transmitter are you using? I know futaba lets you adjust the trim resolution, you can change the number of steps each trim click moves. Its set to 4 steps by default. Changing it to 1 step allows you to really fine tune the trim for dead center.
Matt
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:11 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thai View Post
Ok seriously, I can't see what major differences there are between the 1SQ and X1. The X1 is almost 1/4 the price and the specs are almost identical, if not in favor of the X1. The X1 actually comes with a larger 350mah battery (compared to the 1SQ's 250mah). They both have a 3-axis gyro. 2.4ghz radio. This article is supposed to be a "review" so me questioning it's comparison with another is with merit. If it was an advertisement, then I wouldn't be so quick to take away it's thunder.
For those interested in reading, here are large threads on both that mention lots of behaviors and features that are different:
X1: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1797545&pp=100
SQ1: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1739348&pp=100

One difference that may not be apparent:
X1 does "automatic" flips: press a button and move the aileron/elevator stick to trigger a preset flip sequence.
SQ1 needs to be guided through a flip manually: use the aileron/elevator stick and throttle stick to tell the SQ1 when to start/stop/change direction, etc. a flip
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:03 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,050 Posts
Quote:
matiac, what transmitter are you using? I know futaba lets you adjust the trim resolution, you can change the number of steps each trim click moves. Its set to 4 steps by default. Changing it to 1 step allows you to really fine tune the trim for dead center.
Matt
I'm using the radio that came with it (RTF). It's not a big deal, just something I noticed is all, I just manually correct while I'm flittin' around the kitchen with it, just do it unconsciously now...don't even have to think to do it anymore.
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:32 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Jun 2009
735 Posts
I've had one that looks identical (except the casing makes it look like a ladybug) for the last few months (shipped to Australia). It amazed me that it performed so well outdoors, even in windy conditions. Eventually, I broke the central moulded plastic circle that is the base for the arms (mind you, this was after the battery fell out when it was about 20m high - pushed up by the wind - and following three or four wild flips). I glued it back (not easy), but my repair failed after a few more hard landings. Now it is just held together by rubber bands, the arms flop around, but it still flies well enough indoors.

An amazing and fun craft, whether doing precision landings indoors or matching it with the wind outdoors. I'll get another when they're next in stock
MercerMaggot is offline Find More Posts by MercerMaggot
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:05 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
1,066 Posts
As much as i enjoy seeing these little quads popping up now and again, yet again the issue of brushed motors have not been addressed, they need to make them brushless, brushed motors just won't last an extended period of time.
Axefly is offline Find More Posts by Axefly
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:21 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
4,960 Posts
I think your concerns are unfounded. High rpm, high voltage, and excessive heat are the main contributors to reducing the life of brushes in a motor. This little quad has none of those factors. You should expect at least 3 to 5 years of life on these motors... at least. And thats duty time (the time the motor is actually spinning) A person is more likely to sell it, crash it, or get bored with it before the brushes wear out in the 1SQ.

And lets just say you fly it every day for a few years and wear out the brushes: The current price for a motor, boom and prop is $9
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Matt Gunn; Feb 06, 2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:46 PM
Today's forecast: Summer
United States, GA
Joined Apr 2011
239 Posts
Nice review.

I bought one of these today on a whim. I've never flown a helicopter of any kind outside of a simulator, and those times were not taken seriously. I had no trouble at all flying this in my small living room.

I took it outside and it did just fine, until I got a bit overzealous and smashed into some bushes at about 20mph. Somehow there was no damage from that mishap. I think if I had high rates on then I could have avoided that.

The guys at my LHS said it was easy, and they weren't kidding.
92PathSE is offline Find More Posts by 92PathSE