HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:08 PM
Jim-town Tn
United States, TN, Jamestown
Joined May 2012
8 Posts
Question
covering (bonding two peices together)

Is it possible to join two different colors of ultracote, before adhering it to the plane, without making a mess? been unsuccessful finding info

Thanks; Tom
saltpepper is offline Find More Posts by saltpepper
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:02 PM
O'Fallon, Mo.
Joined Apr 2010
496 Posts
I have done it successfully a couple of times. Photos show the results.
I cut patterns from poster-board with a 3/8" overlap of darker colors over lighter. Then I traced to the backing paper, and cut the pieces. You have to loosen the backing on the top piece, but not remove it entirely; I used a Popsicle stick to release the backing about 3/4" from the edge. Next, you insert the lower piece between the upper piece and it's backing. Get things aligned properly and use tabs of painter tape to hold things that way. I laid the two pieces on a piece of window glass and started "stitching" the two together with my trim iron set to about 225F, hot enough to activate the adhesive but below the shrink temperature. The still-intact backing paper keeps you from gluing the works to the glass. Take your time and be sure to get the two pieces firmly glued together.
Once the pattern is stitched together you can treat it as a single piece of covering when you attach it to the aircraft and shrink just like you would with a piece of just one color.
Go ahead and try it out with some scraps and maybe a test frame of balsa. It works and can be worth the effort.
BluIIs is offline Find More Posts by BluIIs