SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:45 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,526 Posts
Fastben, I was thinking of an Orion myself..bought a new pair of ski boots instead. I still have my BulleT, Flash 2, E-Typhoon and NAN Alex XXL (2.5 m). So maybe I don't need an Orion too.

But for now, I have a GPS module to mount on my F-450 quad with NAZA.
Then I might finish up my Hyper 1.8 m, it's been waiting patiently for a while.

Finally, I have to get my Flash 2 flying again. Had a small split in the wing LE in an encounter with a tree last season. Need to get some epoxy and glass beads inside the wing to fix this split leading edge.

Also plan to setup my BulleT with Futaba Rx/8FG Tx, so I can have butterfly mixed to flaps on left stick, stuff I just can't do with the DX-7. Dx-7 I fly it with now is tough to program a 4 servo wing. . Lots of "projects".

Snowing here now..
320pilot is online now Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Dec 05, 2012 at 08:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:09 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
I've been playing around with motors, props, and batteries. To keep it as simple as possible, I think I'll use my 2836 1040kv motor in a scale sailplane I hope to keep below 1500grams. i should be able to go with my new 2200mah X 25C batteries and a 12X5 prop to get the kind of performance I want.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:14 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1 Posts
Olympic iii

Waiting for skybench aerotech to deliver the kit.....I think this must be a busy time of year for Mr. Hayes

Cant wait to start... I need it for some ALES contests in the middle of 2013

Chris
bricklifter1 is offline Find More Posts by bricklifter1
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:47 PM
United States, WI, Mt Pleasant
Joined Sep 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricklifter1 View Post
Olympic iii

Waiting for skybench aerotech to deliver the kit.....I think this must be a busy time of year for Mr. Hayes

Cant wait to start... I need it for some ALES contests in the middle of 2013

Chris
So you're the one holding up my kit

Also have on one on order, Well here's hoping he does a batch of OlyIII's before Christmas and ours are in there.

Also planning an electric mod, but probably not for ALES. I think my motor won't be quite powerful enough, I didn't want to widen the Fuse so the diameter is limited. What motor set-up are you planning on using?
Niko03 is offline Find More Posts by Niko03
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:39 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,829 Posts
I have two "eggs" currently sitting in the "nest" *. The next one scheduled to "hatch" is my AeroCraft/Hobby Lobby 1913 Eastbourne Monoplane.I want to build this one as scale looking as I am able. The plans call for nickel, speed 400 and a gearbox. obviously the nickel will be replaced with lithium and the can with a brushless IR. I plan on keeping the GB though, mostly to help preserve the CG, but also I read that some gearbxes can give an electric a pretty good "scale" sound. Anybody know of which gearboxes will best give me a good Olde Tymey sounding rattle?

*If a finished plane is a "bird", then a kit would be an "egg", right?
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:55 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,346 Posts
I like the egg anology. I have a few omlettes of own. Work on the ELEGANT 700 is moving along nicely.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:25 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
Hmmmm. Is building a kit more like making an omelet or assembling Humpty Dumpty?

All my dream planes are currently out of stock so I'm gathering electronic components that will work in any of my top choices. I finally got a decent offer on my old Big Stick and engine so I have a little extra cash to play with. I'm also considering selling my old Sagitta instead of grafting a motor on it. Pulsars are starting to look more attractive

I did manage to kill some time making skis for my Yak3D and I'm charting the discharge curves for my batteries. When I consider that the first NiCad flight battery I owned was nearly a pound and gave about 30 minutes of juice; LiPos seem almost like sorcery.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:18 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
Hmmmm. Is building a kit more like making an omelet or assembling Humpty Dumpty? <snip!>
No. Although that would apply very nicely to rebuilding after a crash though. Hmm, I wonder, if the kit is a foamie that would be like making a meringue, right?
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:32 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
I love it when a plan comes together.

I've been flying a foam Yak54 with a HobbyKing 2834 1250kv motor and I love it. With an 11 inch slo-fly prop and 11.1volt 25C 2200mah battery I'm getting around 8500-9000RPM, 32amps, and 375watts for a calculated maximum thrust of 2.15kg. Truly spectacular performance from a $17.00, 70gram, motor IMO.

But? I had given up hope of them getting back in stock so I got an SK3 2836 1040kv motor as a backup. I've only bench tested it and I'm impressed so far though I was still a little wary of depending on it for a new 3D plane. Well? The 2834s are back in stock so I ordered 2. One will go in the Katana I just ordered from Precision Aerobatics and one will be an extra. The 2836 will go in the ARC Astra V-tail I just ordered from TopModel. I'm positively giddy with anticipation!

If you are in the market for a cheap and powerful 28mm motor you might want to check out the HK 2834. The very first time I ran it up it got really hot but has functioned flawlessly since. Will it really put out the claimed 40amps and 590watts without melting? I don't know but the performance I'm getting is very good indeed. And, at this price, if I have to replace bearings or even the whole motor every year I still think it's a bargain. (NOTE: Chinese quality control being what it is; all recommendations are tentative.)

Cheers!

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=17600
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:54 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
Aw ****!

I jinxed myself. Both the Katana and Astra went straight to backorder. I was able to change colors on the Katana but I haven't yet figured out what to do about the Astra. Depending on what I hear back from TopModel I might decide to go with that scale bird instead. The 28mm motor might get a workout on a 1.5kg scale glider but I won't be seeking a vertical climb.

The next time i start bragging about a plan coming together you all have my permission to tell me to "shut up"!

Cheers!
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:29 PM
BFV
USA, Mt, Frenchtown
Joined Oct 2002
69 Posts
I have 3 projects

A Oculus glider (E) from MMglidertech

TopSky Disser DLG

DB Scale Albatross C1, 86" (electric)
BFV is offline Find More Posts by BFV
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:42 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
I'm envious, BFV. Let us know how they turn out. I think I have my electric gliders planned out for awhile but I am also looking for input on a DLG.

Is your Albatross C1 the WW1 German observation plane? I'm planning on a WW1 warbird in my immediate future and just about all the Albatrosses (Albatri?) have good proportions for modelling. I also have a 40 year old Sterling Fokker D. VII kit that would be a very good model with a modern electric power system but it just isn't as pretty as a Albatross.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:47 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,346 Posts
My Elegant 700 got side tracked by a set of aileron wings for my Palio glider, and by a Cox Dust Devil at a good price. The Dust Devil won at Nat's at least twice, Ed Franz piloted.

I will leave the DD at my dad's place, so when I visit I don't need to haul a plane back and forth.

The Palio is tuning up nicely, getting a polish for ALES flying. In the last 12 launches to 662 feet, I have timed out 3 times and specked out two more. Not bad for early winter flying. Timed out over 10 minutes...
Last edited by JimNM; Jan 08, 2013 at 11:09 PM. Reason: SMART PHONE MAKE ME TYPE DUMB
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:16 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
I thought that Cox was long gone, Jim. I have a bunch of old Cox engines I'm trying to find a home for but my Pee Wee .020 will be used for free-flight models until I lose it to a thermal. I recently purchased a big box of Stirling and Guillows' kits and have big plans for them.

I had a lot of fun flying House of Balsa mini warbirds with Cox engines but I had just as much frustration trying to get said engines to run. I figure the Tee Dee series are good for a dozen or two full power flights. I do, however, still have a HoB FW-190 that I think will be a lot of fun with a modern radio and electric power system.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:27 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Joined Jun 2002
7,346 Posts
Yes Peter, Cox is gone like the old West. I found a new built and un-flown Dust Devil in Albuquerque. I had one a few years back that left me before I had gotten to know it very well. I had to jump on that deal. Cox ans Estes rockets were run out of Florence, Colorado. As a kid I got a tour of the Estes warehouse and took home a model V2 rocket. Lots of good memories there.
Last edited by JimNM; Jan 08, 2013 at 11:09 PM. Reason: SMART PHONE MAKES ME TYPE DUMBLY