HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:14 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,410 Posts
I posted these on another forum as an example of the exterior work yet to be done. That heli will look like it has been though the war and back when done. I am working out how I will duplicate dirt and dust on the floor of the interior but I should have that worked out a bit later. These are the two launcher pods. Take care.

Don

Keyrigger is online now Find More Posts by Keyrigger
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:14 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,410 Posts
More stuff done. This time with Tracing CAD and DREMEL CNC.........right. I was not impressed with a nice set of nose cones but no missile bodies!!! That I can't figure out so I fixed it this evening. Paint will happen when the Hysol dries in the morning. Take care.

Don

Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:47 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,410 Posts
Last night, I got the missiles done to my liking and found that by accident, the true length of the TOW missile, when in ready to fire condition, is only 46" (very small differences between models) so by dumb luck, I had cut two 12" pieces in half, which is just a bit longer than a proper scale reproduction. Chalk one up for the little folk. I added some more paint detailing on the externals and did some washdowns of the internals. I had two jars of paint that were not close enough on their own to match the actual model paint. I mixed them together and the mix was now closer but no cigar. For yuks, I added some black/green paint to that mixture and sho' nuff, it was close enough to use on the exterior if needed, lol. What I really need to find is a picture of the two hatches opened and see how the missles are wired from the outside. I will take a guess if I can't locate one as I know that they are not just slipped in as the wires that guide the missle have to be attached to something. Here are the latest pics. Take care.

Don

Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:52 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,410 Posts
Today was cyclic stick setup day. And it did take the whole day, lol. I now found out that the cyclic and collective sticks are really not 1/6th scale but closer to 1/7th, which means they will be great in my AS350, sigh. I'm not working on that one, unfortunately.......onward. I stretched the cyclic sticks so they matched in height (they really are hand built, each one, and are slightly different to each other in post shape) and then tack glued each of the custom fixtures in. I then started to fit the two figures and work out what position they will be in. I set them up so Bruce is pointing to something below and to their left-front and used a picture on my computer as a test background. The blades arrived today so now I can putz around tomorrow putting them on after balancing checkout. This is going to be one wild looking heli when done. Whew.

Don

He really is one wicked looking SOB

Makes a solid hand rest

Rear screen projection with no expense spared

Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:06 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,410 Posts
Yesterday was a fairly quiet day. I added some paint to the cockpit but no aging yet. I took the seat harnesses out to have a look at them and thought, no time like the present to get them ready for install. Wrong. I installed them rather than look at them for the next few days, lol. There are no instructions with them, so you need to be self-sufficient about them or you will be scratching your head all day long. These are by no means finished, as there is some trimming to do on the web straps and most important, aging. They look way too new. I also had to try the fit out on the figures and see just how bad things will be later on. I am looking at fixing the canopy on with screws like I did with the AS350. I will most likely need to order a dozen screw packages from E-Flite like I did with the AS350. I have some time so that is not a priority. On with the pictures.

Don

Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:24 AM
cant get right !!!
United States, CA, Victorville
Joined Sep 2012
321 Posts
wow you have done an amazing job !!! seems like just about time i think you are about done you have a new piece or parts to add . great work . cant even imagine what kind of mula you have invested in this .
trucker41 is offline Find More Posts by trucker41
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:25 AM
cant get right !!!
United States, CA, Victorville
Joined Sep 2012
321 Posts
and do you plan on doing any upohstry to the seats like a canvas or ?
trucker41 is offline Find More Posts by trucker41
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:54 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,410 Posts
I am waiting on seats to come. If they are not usable (I need the shape to cover it with cloth to simulate the wire frame mesh seats), I will make my own wire frame out of plastic rod. I may get some today and give it a try. I have already seen how good they can look. Thanks.

Don
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:21 PM
Joined Dec 2007
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trucker41 View Post
wow you have done an amazing job !!! seems like just about time i think you are about done you have a new piece or parts to add . great work . cant even imagine what kind of mula you have invested in this .
+1. I am sure all that extra weight will effect its flying maneuverability. Do you have a weight as is now?
Cyclick is offline Find More Posts by Cyclick
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:35 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,410 Posts
The raw balance point of this heli was way behind the mainshaft. It is coming out nicely and is around the 12 pound mark which is still very comfortable in a 600 size scale heli. I can still move the electronics battery further back but my guess is that by the time everything is in, it may balance just at the leading edge of the shaft. My worst case senario is going 12s and adding another battery beside the chassis and that is if there is no power. The 890kv motor with the almost 12 to 1 ratio gearing should give lots of grunt to it. I don't want this heli to fly like it is a pattern ship, like my Jet Ranger. If I let it, that little bounder will hit 70+mph or more, without batting an eyelash. The same goes for my AS350. I want something that at full tilt, flys like it is a full scale helicopter with a full load of missiles, and so far that goal is getting closer. I would like to have it fly around 45mph and no more so this heli will be more like what the others could be with some excess baggage on board. Hmmm...................

Don
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:47 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
619 Posts
Don,

AMAZING JOB...

Jan,
Horseman is offline Find More Posts by Horseman
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:25 AM
Joined Jul 2008
1,653 Posts
With the 5 blade head, using the same length of blade as with a 2 blade head, you will not be able to pull the same amount of top end pitch, at the same rotor speed, as you can with a two blade head using the same blades.

That said, you will find it will generate the same lift at far less pitch. So 12 lbs. may be within its capabilities. Albeit, you will have to lead it more....start to stop it sooner during a descent or when you want to slow it down etc. then if it was in the 7 to 8 lb. range of a 600 size pod & boomer.

If you want to get a feel for the decreased performance and how that head will fly your 12 lbs, at the rotor speed you choose, I would suggest that you set up a pod and boom T600, with a similar power system (and even the same head if possible), attach weights to the heli just under the mainshaft (to keep the cg where it should be) and try it out.
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:50 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,522 Posts
@ Keyrigger - if you want programming for future possibility that you may turn your missile into functionning units let me know.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:12 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,410 Posts
Thanks Jan. I appreciate that.

I am not quite sure where the interest in the overall weight of this heli has stemmed from but honestly, it is only about a pound heavier than my AS350, and it is not even finished yet. I just made my best bathroom scale weight difference test (no, I will not give my weight), my AS350 is 12.3lbs. as we speak, and my MD500 TD is 12.3lbs. without the figures in it. Both would be considered ready to fly with full battery packs on board. I can easily add a couple of battery packs to my AS350 and give it a flight around the field before taking off the MD500 (I will be doing that, anyway, less the batteries) but unless it comes in at 15lbs or more, I just know I need to be a bit more pro-active with how I plan my flight. It's amazing that the largest of the scale models we have at our club, do not have the wing loading that these helicopters have and the heli should be referred to having a disk loading.

I have been flying my AS350 with twin 3300mAH LiPo's from the word go. It barely uses 1400mAH from each pact for a full 6 minutes in the air (I reset the timer just at lift-off) so I have never bothered to run other batteries in it. Part of that was I was still tied to the battery tray of the 600 Pro but now I can use anything that will pass under the main gear. I put two 5000mAH packs in just for a chuckle. Man, those are porkers. It brought the weight of the AS350 up to 13.5lbs! Now I know how to try out the heavier model with one I currently fly as I have no more pod 'n boom large heli's. That'll do the trick. Take care guys and thanks for caring.

Don
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:14 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,410 Posts
freechip:

There are so many possibilities for a model of this type that it boggles the mind. I am sure that one day, I will have a recording camera in the sight housing but for now, just getting it into the air will be good enough for a very long time, lol. Take care.

Don