SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:44 AM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
Thanks for the tip.There is a place here that carries turnbuckles and now I know what length to buy. 61mm is what is on there but I would be happier with 65 to 68mm. I also have the RC Logger digital gauge but so far, I am not ready to do the very last pre-flight trim yet. They do look close, though. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is online now Find More Posts by Keyrigger
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:03 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
I got more done but now the waiting begins for glue to dry in the rear portion of the body. I can still work on the front cockpit but there will be a point that I will need to stop and glue more parts in place, sigh. The back walls are in and so are the side door panels. I used a fillet of Hysol to make a fairly secure backing for the panels and at some point in time, I will get the window kit in and then use the rubber flanges to make the window removeable for removeal of the chassis. It's not that it is impossible but the open window will make getting at the rear screws that more easy. I also re-inforced the two filler panels I made to cover in the nitro holes. Take care.

Don

Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:28 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
The serious work on the floor began today. I spent the better part of two hours going through picture after picture and only in a few instances did I find an instrument layout that covered right to the bottom of the nose. I am leaving it open and will add the rods there for the rudder contol linkages. I added one more post to the floor so that I could grap hold of it and put pressure without collapsing the back of the floor down. I have been fighting that all afternoon even after putting the front wall of the floor in place.I thought it would fix that issue but the posts cured it. I see some Hysol in my near future.....

Don

Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:25 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
So things are getting closer today. The floor and seat structure are in and painting has continued in the back. Although no pictures of it, the backside of the shoulder wall is painted and the door inserts are done as well. As I was going about fitting the seat, I kept on running into the battery installed on the front of the rear floor in trying to make the seat structure. I wasn't hitting it physically, but every time I wanted to put the seat at one spot or another, the battery kept on forcing me to make the angle a lot greater than 90 degrees. That's no good

I got so fed up with it, I removed the battery velcro, cut the nose of the rear floor off, and will mount the battery on the framework below the floor but right in front and below where it was. I said to myself as I cut the offensive part off, "That's enough of that crap", and tossed the remains in the garbage. Now comes the fidgety stuff, you know, the little tiny wood pieces that fill the holes in and become the covers for the ground electrical connection and the cover for the pilot's collective stick. I have a lot of modification to do to the ones coming or I will just make one up of my own, as it is that drastically different to the Weapons Officer's unit. One thing is for sure, I will NOT need to add any weight to the nose of this bird. I am not mounting the light cover until I get a better look at the real unit or the instrument panel comes in, which ever is first (none of my current views are good enough to make a positive assessment of how it is covered in. Take care.

Don

Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:27 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,316 Posts
Are you going to have room for the cockpit?
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:29 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
Lots of room in front of those two and it should be fun making the control linkages. I am nearing being at a dead stop because the instrument panels and seats are not in yet. I am cutting a good half inch off the seat bottom but I am tempted to scratch build a wire frame seat and cover it with cloth. The TOW sight has been a show stopper when I have displayed it. Take care.

Don
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:23 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyrigger View Post
<snip> the tow sight has been a show stopper when i have displayed it. Take care. Don
I can't wait to see final product.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:36 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
More work done on the seating bench and the battery situation is fully sorted out now. I still have hours to go filling in the two sides of the bench, sigh........

Don

Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:49 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
So the question is, "What goes in that cutout in the bench?" This part.

I also finished off the sides of the bench and it is now time for sanding and waiting.........

I hate the waiting part......

That means I have to find more details to build, sigh. Take care.

Don

Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:59 AM
cant get right !!!
United States, CA, Victorville
Joined Sep 2012
321 Posts
vibe probs

hey don have you adressed the vibe probs yet ? i was just checking out another build of a td and he had to rework his whole floor board and stuff with foam to get rid of the vibe prob.as i understand it it is a prob with the fuselage not helis and by the way his wasnt near the quality work you have done on yours so far . and i wouldnt want to see your vibe to pieces . to much good work has gone into it
trucker41 is offline Find More Posts by trucker41
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:54 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
I may or may not have any vibration issues with this install. The upper chassis is not attached but floats between two silicone tube cushions. The bottom is very rigid and the only thing that will not be on the heli at lift-off, will be the TOW launchers, as they could be an initial source so eliminate it right off the bat then add it back on the next flight. The tail tube is a snug but not tight fit as the boom is a bit smaller than normal fare for this bird so that should only help. This heli was extremely low in vibration as the tail, being very flexible plastic, never buzzed at any rpm setting and it has run the gammit from 1350 to 2250. Of course, the 5 blade head was not there but if I do the same work to it as I did to the triple blade head on my AS350, it should be very sweet.

I got some pictures of the heli with the chassis installed, TOW launchers on, and the cockpit as complete as above. The heli is still tail heavy!!!! I am not worried about the overall weight as the body will be somewhere over 3.5 pounds complete which is not much different than a standard body with a double motor battery system. Man, those blades are still too far away, sigh.........

Don

Rear walls do their job very nicely

Detail shots of the head, swashplate, and linkages. No trimming was needed at all.

General heli shots with no canopy or pilots

Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:37 PM
cant get right !!!
Joined Sep 2012
321 Posts
you truly are an artist i can only hope that my heli turns out half as nice as yours
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:23 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
Thanks for the compliments. I thought I would put in the crew and add the two front canopy pieces for the look-see. The canopy is being replaced as it has two large cracks in it from shipping. Take care.

Don

Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:29 PM
cant get right !!!
Joined Sep 2012
321 Posts
those 12 inch guys fit alot better in yours than they do in the 21st century heli looks good . can you stand 1 nxt to cock pit my guys tower over the heli .yet they still fit inside the cockpit witch makes no sence go figuer
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:08 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
It has a lot to do with the floor of both heli's. Mine is a little over an inch off the main fuselage bottom where yours is right on the bottom. They started with a blank slate to make a toy that was not as large as a true 1/6th rendition of the Little Bird yet would take the action figures in it for the overall look. It has been a real mind workout to build by figures taken from a manual that was meant for working on the heli, not building it, so any dimensions are a real bonus but are really hard to find in there.

I guess somewhere there are actual engineering drawings that would give the true dimensions from the baselines that they use, which are the mean bottom of the fuselage, the front of the canopy framework, and the vertical centreline of the fuselage. Those are all easy to find and work off of, but when the body is not perfectly scale, you end up compromising in order to make the entire build work. I learned very early in the build that no matter what I did, the helicopter would only be a very good stand-off scale model as the major line for the canopy is too far back, which pushes everything out of place. Doors, landing gear, windows, etc. are close but no cigar.

I know why fellows make up their own plugs and produce their own bodies. If they are as talented as most appear, they will have those situations all worked out in advance and place the separation of nose and body to suit the real helicopter framework and not some fanciful quick workaround for a mistake on the plug. There are so many body kits out there that are really out of perportion but those are generally small kits for heli's 500 and smaller. Those can be forgiven as most chassis those sizes and smaller are fairly large for the size of the heli body they are going into. Once you get into the 600 size and larger, the body should be made as scale as possible so that glaring sizing or positioning erros are not so noticiable.

In a sense, this may seem like a rant but if some of our manufacturers take note so that the next time they need to replace a mold, they can update it to a more scale outline and assembly setup, I maybe will have contributed to better models in the future. Take care.

Don