HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:10 PM
cant get right !!!
United States, CA, Victorville
Joined Sep 2012
321 Posts
wow that is some very good work my hat is off to you . i unfortunatly am out of helis . had to sell them off to get ahead since my truck was stolen . but tax season is here . and the wife says i can blow 500 $ woo hoo . thatll get me a radeo and 1/2 a clone lol . so i am forced to live vicariously thru you don . keep up the good work . you are making us look good lol
trucker41 is offline Find More Posts by trucker41
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:21 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
trucker41:

Man, sorry to hear about your truck gettin stolen and having to sell off the heli's. I know the feeling.

I just made up the wall pattern earlier and got ambitious enough to put the chassis back in the body and see where everything fell into place. I immediately found out that the flight battery would not sit beside the chassis but had to be mounted ahead of it. No big deal but my plans for using part of the old battery trays from the 600 Pro went to hell in a hand basket when I found that the bench for the front seats and controls would hit it. Ok, so on the deck it goes on top of a new piece of ply that has yet to be made up.

On to the walls. I knew that they would not be very large and the fitted pattern would only be a start. I started to chew it away a bit at time and eventually I got to where it would let the chassis and electronics, that were already past the wall, by with no rubbing. I did the same for the other side but I was ready for that one. However, I forgot to look deep and near the end, when I thought I had it ready for being made into a piece of ply, I spotted the AR9020 hidden behind the wall. Oh well, more chewing. They are now ready to be made into the plywood frames that will back the EPS, just like studs and drywall. There is so much clutter on the floor (you should see my room!!!) that is not worthwhile attempting to recreate the actual floor detail. I can change my mind later, if I think it will add to the back area, but I doubt it. I now need to commit to the final install of the landing gear but I need to spray and it is way too cold outside and since my wife is retired, I can't get away with doing a small job inside. I think it will hit well above freezing this weekend, sigh, days away. Take care.

Don

Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:03 PM
United States, IL
Joined Aug 2012
288 Posts
looks awesome man. can't wait to see the final build.
lightfighter363 is offline Find More Posts by lightfighter363
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:30 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
The landing light reflector is something that could work if you didn't have anything else to work with but when I did the landing lights on my AS350, I discovered a neat way of doing them. The complete assemble had to be made from scratch so there was nothing to build from. I made my own light box and used two reflectors from a (ready for this?) Traxxas Stampede monster truck lighting bar. There were four of them so I had two spares. I have now used one more in my build here but the work was nowhere near as complicated. I drilled the centre of the old reflector and then gradually opened fit up until the new reflector fitted by friction. I will leave the lens off until I am ready to seal it up. This was only a few minutes work but the payoff is really nice. Take care.

Don

Last edited by Keyrigger; Jan 08, 2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:08 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
Just a small amount of work done today. I found that the connector that I had chosen was to be hard mounted to a thin circuit board to keep the female connectors and the housing locked in place. The contacts could easily be pushed or pull out and that is no good, especially when live. I went back to Sayal and found a High Defintion connector kit (in the old days, these were joystick connectors for the Sound Blaster Joystick Port) and decided to drop down the number of connections and go with something I could still expand with. I am using 8 connectors and have a potential power connector hooked and ready to finishe if it is needed. I needed to make some spare change so a Blade 450 3D took up most of the evening. Here are the two pics of the harness. I trimmed the one end and will screw the female connector to the floor of the body. Take care.

Don

Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:15 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
Back in the old days (early 60's to mid 70's), I was a fair plastic model builder and I did some really good stuff in the early 80's. I have called upon that experience a few times already with other builds but this one is on overload. Waiting for other bits and pieces to arrive gives me lots of time to look at pictures to find detail points to improve. One is the exhaust openings.

On the real TOW Defender, the exhaust is routed back up through beside the engine (there seems to be a lot of room back there) and out beside the boom near the front of the engine compartment. It has what appears to be a form of heat diffuser to reduce the heli's heat signature to incoming missiles. It works so well that the exhaust outlet is painted the colour of the body and in actual use does not peel off!! Century went through a bit of effort to make the exhaust look like it is in use but in the case of the TOW Defender, body colour on the outside and a slight rust colour (funny, it's close to the body colour, too) on the inside.

I spent most of the day puttering around making these up and now have to leave them for up to a couple of days for the glue to cure and allow the plastic to harden once again. I also made up a couple of tubes to use so that light cannot be seen in the interior coming directly from the exhaust tips and so that you cannot see the large number of lights on the back end of the chassis. After all, there are four satellites, two receivers, and other lighted electronics to be found. I am also practicing up for when the instrument panels come in. Take care.

Don

Last edited by Keyrigger; Jan 10, 2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:15 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
More pictures of the ongoing exhaust (ing) work.

Don

Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:46 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,598 Posts
I can't wait to see pics and or & of the whole thing ready for flight with all it's working lights and pod. Great detail work.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:40 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
I have been at it again. I can't wait for the interior to arrive and in the mean time, I got at the cockpit rough-in today. You can see my main wood cutting tool aside from the Dremel in these pictures. I got so excited as the wall got in position finally, I could not hold back and rigged a temporary bench to set the crew on. WoW, not much room there but it looks just like the one image of a Little Bird loaded and about to take off. The guys at our Friday Night Indoor Flying are going to get a really big treat. I am also debueing a new plank just for something different. I am sure that I won't get much flying in tonight.

Don

OHHHHHHH, I can feel the first flight............

Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:54 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
Did a bit of work today before going out to the Post Office to get my latest bits. The rotor head, swashplate, and driver. I will get to those later and will take out the chassis to start working out the link lengths I will need. I am fairly sure that I can use something very similar to the ones I used for my AS350. I closed in the chassis this morning as a continuation of the shoulder wall. I think the idea of 3D printing is wonderful but I am a throwback to the days of working directly with 3D objects to build what I need, LOL. I am poking fun at the guys that are using it and there is no question, those 3D printed parts are really something to behold. So from 1/8" ply, I began the cover. The opening of the wall to the rear compartment will happen later once I get it ready to Hysol into place. It may take a day or so to finalize everything but once in, it will be permanent. Take care.

Don

The fit was that close that the motor just touched. I gave it a bit of clearance
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:25 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
You have some great woodworking skills, that's for sure!
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:09 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
Thanks, man. It is actually more fun doing it this way than any other way I can think of to do the same job. Take care.

Don
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:51 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
Tonight, I got re-acquainted with an old friend who has suddenly become my new best friend. I was going through my little precision tool box and ran across a 3/32" carbide burr that has sat unused for about 4 years. I needed to find a better way to open up holes in sheets of ply and does it ever make short (rather dust-free) work of it (sanding drums kick up the most dust of everything I use). I chewed through the holes in the shoulder wall so fast, it was not funny. It took longer to make sure I wasn't cutting too much as the shavings covered up the lines rapidly. The sanding didn't take too long as the cutting was much closer to the line than I have been in the past. I wished I had found this now before I took on cutting out the chassis mount. That took way too long. I am also including a shot of the head components for you to drool over, lol. Take care.

Don

Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:39 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
Today, I was very busy at building and installations. I got the head installed which was a pleasant but very proceedural job. The hole needed to be altered in size to fit the larger 4mm jesus bolt of the 5 blade head. The links I had expected to go out tomorrow and buy three sets of 700 pitch rods but lo and behold, it took the links used on a stock 550!! I had lots of those, lol (don't use them in my Jet Ranger). The balls were a combination of short and slightly longer 700 balls for the swashplate and grips. Again, I had all in stock here, no trip needed. I did, however, run out of 1/8th ply and had to go out for a sheet of that.

I removed the doors and had expected the fit of the shoulder wall would intrude in the opening but I have got a way to make it better. I made up a light cover based on what i have seen in a couple of TOW Defenders as there are as many ways to install that light as there are customers for the helicopter. The floor was also on the agenda tonight and it is getting close to being able to be installed. The last thing I will do tonight is mix up a small batch of Hysol and install the landing light, permanently.

I repainted the entire interior of the back of the heli so that I have the complete colour control rather than hope that I could match the FunKey paint. I did leave the logo exposed in its original colour. I even painted the inside of the doghouse. It was time to install a few other items like the exhausts and the weapons booms. The "To Do" list is a bit smaller tonight but there are lots of pictures with some from late Saturday night/Sunday morning. Take care.

Don

Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:17 AM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
I'm thinking with that 5 blade head, something to make tracking much easier is this: Get a pack of Align 5mm balls (in the 700 parts bin). These come with M3 threads, so you may or may not need to tap the existing swash and grips depending on what they are already. After getting those on, get some of the larger Align plastic links that are used with these (the FBL T550 already has these for the swash-grips).

Now that you converted to this setup, you can use some Lunsford Punisher turnbuckles (amainhobbies carries these). They are M3 thread and will fit the Align links nicely and will make tracking adjustments very easy. A digital angle guage (I like my Wixey) will make getting each grip within a 1/10th degree a possibility.
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4