Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:43 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,090 Posts
This is purely just a recommendation by on my personal taste, I would based on my taste rather have the camera assembly when not in use or Off be centered and having my center be looking forward with the camera slightly angle down.

This must be quite a bird to see in person.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:35 AM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,464 Posts
Been busy but no real pictures today. I slotted the rear landing gear for the nav lights and got the new and improved sequence and mixes entred into the radio. I also moved the steps on the front gear and removed them on the back to match the originals. That's all for today. Take care.

Don
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:05 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,464 Posts
So I confiscated my wife's camera to take some closeup detail pictures. I have an old Canon soap bar point and shoot and it does an amazing job for such an old digital but it can't focus on anything closer than about 2.5ft. Her's can get right up close and personal so here are some detail shots of the electronics installation and the landing skids. Whew.

Don

Remember, the AR9020 and the SK720 are fully functioning receivers as the SK720 is not just acting as a gyro here.

Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:16 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,090 Posts
If I may comment on your setup and the first issue that I saw from your pictures is regarding your receiver and sat installation.

In the very first picture you have the main receiver unit oriented so the single antenna is pointing downward. The issue is with the two sat receiver that appear to be an inch or so from the main receiver AND both sats are position right next to one another with the antennas all pointing in the same direction.

This would certainly not be my choice for placement for any setup. This setup IMO is asking for trouble. Just my 0.02$ and maybe other can comment on it.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:40 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,464 Posts
This is a very unusual installation as there are two completely independant receiver systems at work in this heli. One, the SK720, and two, the AR9020. What you don't see is the second set of remotes on the other side in these closeups but they are there. The 720 handles the flight servos, only, and the 9020 handles all other functions, including throttle and auxillary channels. This is not typical and it is entirely usable even according to HH. They have used up to three receivers for a single model as a test and it worked just fine. There are no antennae pointing down in this heli and just for good measure, the only carbon fibre is used on two braces up front well away from all these receivers, lol. This is one wired heli
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:03 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
<snip> the 9020 handles all other functions, including throttle and auxillary channels. This is not typical and it is entirely usable even according to HH. <snip>
The first pictures showing the AR9020 has it's own sats right next to it with both sat one over the other with the antennas pointing in the same direction.

Regardless if theres another system on this heli this is still not a recommended installation and you have physicaly installed it in a manner that is not recommended as far as distance between the sats and main and also you are not really using it to its full capabilities and sort of defeating the purpose of having multiple sats.

This means that in the event the AR9020 goes into a HOLD because it lost signal and according to you the AR9020 is the one controlling the throttle, what do you think is going to happen to that setup will all the hard work you have put in?

I won't comment on it any further nor debate it with you, I just wanted to share my .02$ with you.

PS: Unless you are telling me that in the first picture the two sat units we see installed one over the other is actual one sat from the AR9029 and the other from the SK720 then maybe this would/could be a different thing BUT if they are both the AR9020 sats then I don't care what the HH tech told you IMO this is not recommended.

Who's going to pay if something happens?
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:21 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,464 Posts
The two sats are from different systems. One from the SK720 and the other from the AR9200. Mounting sats is something that in an aircraft may be easy to move them anywhere around the fuse as the entire system is one thing. Not so with the helicopter. It has to work in or out of the body and so far with over 20 installs of sats, none has ever given an issue. The recording feature of signal packet loss in the 720 confirms that it does not make any diffence in performance with the sats mounted 2 inches apart or 6 feet, as long as they "see" the signal from any orientation and are clear of any carbon fibre full plate. This system can have up to 5 sats in it plus the single wire additional antenna from the 9020 so this bird would be nearly impossible to shadow as long as it did not fly behind a wall of CF. I appreciate your concern but so far, the placement of sats has not been an issue in any build. Take care.

Don

Here's the other side just in case.

Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:25 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,090 Posts
Cool, don't take this as argumentive. Not being experience in setups like yours this was of course my reaction to seeing them installed this way.

I am a much better programmer.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:42 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,464 Posts
No, no, I really get what you were trying to make me aware of. This is just a very complicated install that is not the run of the mill 3D or 6 to 8 channel scale heli. It's all good. Once again, my hat's off to you for your help in the sight. Take care.

Don
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:40 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,464 Posts
I got the nerve up to start the wiring of the skid navigation lights through the skids. It is rather nerve wracking as you drill though the tubes knowing that the pile of skids you had in reserve for the 3D machines are totally useless for this heli. The soldering of the LEDs will be uneventful but that first hole was a nail biter. Whew.

Don

Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:01 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,464 Posts
I thought I would try something a bit off the beaten path. The doors on this heli are going to removed on the front and nearly closed off on the back but there is still a bit that can be seen in the rear. I thought about what I could use to add depth to the doors without going to a lot of trouble and a light bulb lit up. EPS foam is easily cut and glued so why not use it as liner on the back doors? I am also thinking about adding a wall back there to close off the rear empty space from casual glances I am not closing it off as I need air to get out of the backI traced the door frame from the outside and the window opening on the inside, then trimmed the lower door to fit in the back end. I used a cut-off to make up the additional part behind the door that came from the initial roughed out piece. I think it might just do the trick, especially when painted.

Don

Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:45 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,878 Posts
I liked those trenching and filling pics on the skid struts, great visual on how wiring could be done
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:21 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,464 Posts
Thanks for reminding me. I never got a picture of the actual gear but I have the test pieces and those will show what I did. It is really hard to find actual shots of this type of work being done. Result pictures, yes, on the go shots of it being done, not so many. I also have a picture of where the lighting controller will be stationed and some of the wiring coming to it now, including from the tip lights. The actual TOW Defender has almost half of the rear door covered or painted in but there is a metal band across the door and on some it is doubled but not all. Go figure. I went with the dual band to add support as the plastic is only .020" thick. You will see a reference shot in the background on my computer and as many pictures of these as I could find, most were different from each other, lol. Oh well, I am glad I know where to get modelling supplies around here.

Don

This is a test piece that I cut a groove in for the wire.

Some of the wiring and the controller

Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:57 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,464 Posts
This is a really roughed-in setup of the back wall on the left side and the inner door liner. I have had to change the plan a bit because of a lack of space behind the door before the missile mounts begin. Oh well. It does seem that there will not be an awful lot of wall there and even less on the right side, but at least it will close things off. I am also closing in the two holes on the bottom they cut in for the exhaust (who makes these nitrol these days, lol) and the cooling air intake for the fan (which will not exist). Until I really get ambitious, I will paint them but leave them as they are. It will blend in when seen from the sky and no one will be picking up the heli to inspect the underside unless it is me. Take care.

Don