SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:11 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
I am in the middle of making up the camera and pivoting point of the sight and the desk is completely full of crap, lol. I will take pictures later of the finished tail and the work so far on the sight. I have a pretty good idea of how to make the pivot wire sit ready for install and then it will be pushed into place before the front sight cover is put into place. I also need to rework the front cover housing as it is not flat as the kit has it, but it sticks out by a good inch and a half or more on the real sight. I have lots of plastic sitting around so that will be fairly simple. Thanks and catch up later.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:24 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
As promised, here are the pictures. The camera/sight is completely fabricated from the views I have of partially restored retired aircraft and I am sure it is not scale but I like it. The TOW sight is roughed out and has the mount for the camera installed and that wood plate is how I am going to get a wire to turn the sight. It's not terribly complicated but it is near impossible to describe. I need to feed the wire up from the site before I install the final glass and then it will be fed into a nose wheel arm from ParkZone (it's better suited than a DuBro arm). I am going to make a plate (plywood) that will have the servo mounted and the arm ready for the wire to be fed from the bottom of the TOW sight and then the arm will capture the wire and be able to rotate it. The fit of the sight in the nose will keep it from dropping down and I have a hole right through if I need to install another wire pivot in the bottom but someone else that has done a similar thing before me, said that it was not needed. I hope I don't need it either or I will find I am making this a very permanent install which is not what I hope to do. I need to be able to access everything with a minimum of ruining in the event something breaks down. I have taken some pics of the tail ready for installation with the intention of gluing the connectors to the side of the tail once I have the wires run from the main body. Man, I can taste those seats. They are my major hold-up in two builds. Well, there is more but this is the biggest hold-up. Take care.

Don

Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:58 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
I got the sight housing finished off today. I need to make up two mounting blocks for the servo that turns the housing but the camera is in there and operational. The real housing is quite a bit different in overal shape but the window was the most off scale in the entire sight. I made up a framwork and then glued the new window in place with framework around it. I forgot two times that there was an assembly order to this and had to take the window off just as I got it glued. Senior moment.... The shape of the window housing is correct and that angle on the bottom is not a mistake. I am shivering at the thought of more parts coming to finish this one and my AS350 off. Take care.

Don

Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:53 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
With help from a local wiz at the DX18, I was able to program in a pair of sequences that operate the sight as long as the electronics are on. I will play with that later to see how to use a switch to turn it on and off but for now, the big hurdle of making the sequence repeat is conquered. I am nearly finished the process of completely reworking the electronics as I replace everything but the servos. I am using a Skookum 720 (GPS module ordered) as the main flight control receiver and a 9 channel AR9020 with an X-Pus 8 expansion receiver. The total channels are 17 with 6 being used in the SK720 and 5 being used in the AR9020+X-Plus 8. It's a long story but this had to be done this way to get the self-righting of the 720 and I will be leaving the two channels on the SK720 open for use with the GPS if needed. Seems like a waste but in reality, it is fairly bulletproof. I am also hooking up the full TM1000 telemetry system and if I really get ambitious, I will get the GPS module for that for real-time positional readouts. That is just if I have a windfall or something. This was a couple of days work and it is still not finished (close) so I am trying to get this to where I could put it in the air, even with the two blade head. That will mean less to do when the rest of the parts get in from backorder. Lots of goodies to look at. Take care.

Don

Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:58 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,610 Posts
Would luv to see the sight in operation in a video. It would/could help me tailor a sequence that would be suit this type of setup.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:38 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
I actually do not own a video camera at this point in time. I am trying to work out how to overcome the rolling shutter issue that causes bent blades on heli's and planks. I am going to work with a photographer friend of mine to see if we can't figure out a way to get the shutter to operate much faster so that the weird artifacting does not happen or does not take away from the footage. If I get one soon, I will certainly post it in this thread. I may get this done in the next week (sorry, he is working fairly steadily and does not have much spare time at his studio) and get it posted as soon as I get it. Neither of our stills cameras can shoot video that is useable. They are awful. Thanks again and take care.

Don
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:48 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
Here is the horrible video but it will show it in action. It is only 30 seconds long.

Don

TOW Sight (0 min 31 sec)
Last edited by Keyrigger; Jan 04, 2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:45 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,610 Posts
Thats using two sequencers? One for left right and the other for up down?

That's awesome.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:03 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
Yes, that's two independant sequences. One for the sight and one for the camera inside. The way the timing works on each sequence, they never end up being exactly the same pattern even though each one uses a fixed setup. I guess that at some point, many dozens of cycles later, they may end up back at the start. I think now I will work on a random sequence for the sight housing as that is really out in the open and when you look at it for a couple of minutes, you see the same action. However, that is really not an issue now as it is what I was trying to get in the first place and this setup did it in spades. Thanks.

Don
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:12 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,610 Posts
Please post your video in my sequencer thread. People will appreciate the programming even more when you can see what to use it for.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:16 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
Sure.

Don
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:51 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
This is the final sequence using two individual sequences mixed togther so they become random. The camera is small enough and it is pretty good on its own not to need to be random. I did, however, make up that mix so that I can use a switch to turn it off and on as I need it. The sequences are running in the background and are not shut off but the servo signal is set to off. This evening doing this was a hoot.

Don

Finished TOW Sight Sequence with On Off Switch (1 min 48 sec)
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:17 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,610 Posts
Thats why I think not selecting any channel to use in the sequencer itself but rather in a mix is better since you can use a switch or combination of switches to turn it on or off.

I think at the end you turned it off and why it appeared to go at one end of direction. If you make it so the channel is set in the middle it would return center instead of left or right.

The 2 seq. you created do a great job at making it look random. You could also use of the already created seq. or create another just to use in combination with a 3 position switch where you could have the following result.

Using a 3 pos switch and either a new seq. or existing seq.
3pos Sw: Pos0 = Off
3pos Sw: Pos1 = On (using random effect for movement)
3pos Sw: Pos3 = Random On/Off and when on you would have the random effect.

So basicaly you can have it OFF, ON or have it where the On/Off is random.
For couple seconds is moving randomly and then for couple seconds its off, then it starts again.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:28 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
How do you set an AUX channel to go to centre in the "Off" position? I can't find a way through the usual spots.

Don
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:35 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,610 Posts
In the System Setup screen, the second screen in the Channel Assign menu.
INH the switches assigned to those channels, this will automatically center them when not in use...