321 Posts
those are bad ars
trucker41 is offline Find More Posts by trucker41
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:36 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
Man - he doesn't look bad by himself and he looks as good as a lot of other figures I've seen - but his skin tone looks a little "barbie-ish" next to the other two. Kinda hard to believe they came from the same place.
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:36 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,423 Posts
All three are from different manufacturers and the last one (actual 160th SOAR pilot) is from a line that was produced a few years ago. The pilot (former Marksman) was released this year and Bruce (Navy Seal) was released last year. I was actually shocked to find Bruce as it is out of production and now is on the hard to find list. Can you imagine a collector of these dolls finding the three of them in this helicopter of mine ten years from now, lol. I bet they go nuts, hehe. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is online now Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:48 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,423 Posts
I got an email this evening and if the planets are all aligned, I may have my MD500 soon. My missing cargo basket for my AS350 was finally tracked down and that will be soon come, lol. I put a couple of flights on the chassis this afternoon in 45 degree windy air this afternoon and it certainly does show that with low head speeds and no weight, it really bounces like a beach ball. At least, I now have located a set of floats that I can put on my Jet Ranger for our Jan.1 New Year's Day Fly-in. I may hear a bit later this evening about the news that needs to be told by phone, so I hope it is really good. Take care.

Don
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:07 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,423 Posts
It's on its way.......no seats, sigh.

Don
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:04 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,423 Posts
IT'S HERE. Finally, after two days, I was able to pick up the box at the Post Office because the box was too inconvienient for the delivery boy to bring in. He made no attempt to buzz my unit so I had to wait an extra day, even though I was upstairs the entire time, sigh. But the bad news was the canopy, it didn't survive. It has a pair of cracks in it but what can you do. By the time I go after them for the damage, I have spent more money in gas and time than the part is worth. I have another one ordered but how long, don't know.

I didn't let that stop me from starting the build but the first lot of time is going to be used to make this look like it was used in the Middle East. There's lots of pictures of weather beaten TD's around but very little with full battle use wear and tear. The difference is that these have been out of service for a good little while so the weather beating is way worse than if these had been out of sorties every day. The sands of time on idle gear is way worse than items in use.

I started with the TOW missile launchers and found that the openings on the front were way unfinished and should have had a little more clearance for the rockets. I found that they come apart really easy and were not glued to death to keep them together. Two screws did the job nicely. Once apart, I began getting things reworked and painted some of the bracing so that they are not so easily seen if you look inside. I am still going to find some tubes (cigar tubes may work) to fill in the space and then paint the rest of the inside black to hide how they are made.

In one spot, I got a bit carried away on the outside, but there are two of them and all I need to do is put the first one on the right side so that the cover is not so visible. I have also got to get some sandy colours so I can do some touch-ups, like the overdone cover, lol. As soon as I get this posted, back I go to the salt mines and finish off the other side, as well as the weapons pod. Now to find some plastic to make my own hanger brackets with. Take care.

Don

Out of the box with the Logo 500/600 stretch

The boys inspecting. They are complaining already about the tight fit

Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:50 PM
cant get right !!!
United States, CA, Victorville
Joined Sep 2012
321 Posts
ah6

hey love the way yours is going it even inspired me to get a cple figures
the guy in all black is a 21st century pilot but he was missing all his gear but lucky me i found some on ebay and here is a pic of the cock pit witch i am going to try and reproduce in balsa becouse it is way to heavy imo . thanks for the insperation
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:19 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,423 Posts
That's cool. Nice cockpit so far and I just discovered that I have a major reworking of the chassis to do. Even changing to another 600 Pro will not get me out of this one, so I am cutting about 3 3/4" off the front of the Logo chassis. I will use CF plate (strip) to connect the bottom to the motor area, and in doing so, only the top of the motor will protrude into the cabin area. It is going to take some time to work out how I will tie it all together but I am certain that the outcome will be as good as my AS350. I also discovered that I am going to need to remove the Jazz esc and replace it with a CC 85A unit that I have floating around. I will be making up a simple plywood plate for it to attach to and that will keep it close to air and access.

Many of you are not familiar with the Logo chassis and it is quite a bit different to the ususal Align and Century chassis that are installed in many of our birds. The Logo had a very tall main shaft and a boom that does not run parallel to the landing skids. The boom sweeps up from the maingear and is very low in the chassis compared to most. As an example, the 600 Pro has a bottom of chassis to boom measurement of 125mm, which is nearly 35mm shorter than the regular 600E normally found in scale 600 electric heli's. The Logo is 110mm. I need to raise the chassis a lot in the front, but the back will be actually angled down. This will be quite a while in gestation but who knows, if I can make a real go of it in the next month or so, it may be on the list of flying "works on the go" in the spring.

I napped out a little while ago thinking of how I am going to animate the sight and make the housing appear more as the real ones do. The camera inside is a simple job, needing the top opened up and a little mount put in for the servo and a dummy camera put on the servo. The hard part is working out how to rotate the unit and I may be cutting out a strip of the top portion and making up a bracket to hang the sight from. I really need to get some paint to match as I am sure I will be cutting the living daylights out of the bird over the next while. I hope Tamiya can come to the rescue. My head hurts......

Don
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:34 PM
cant get right !!!
Joined Sep 2012
321 Posts
i was having same probs with a cple i deas i had . now im thinking of ordering some g10 sheets and work out a bell crank type sytem for the cyclics and move all mech to back of fuse but its just an idea for rt now but would realy like to see it fruit and comr to life . but im afraid my skill level isnt there yet .
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:16 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,423 Posts
I had some time after Christmas shopping to get some more work done. Most of the last day or so has been thinking about cutting the frame to reduce the overall size and the amount that intrudes into the cockpit. I thought that the screws that hold the motor mount in place would be a good spot to anchor the bracing to but once I pulled one of them out for a look, I was forced to look foreward slightly to get a larger screw. As it turns out, it was the best solution for my plan. I thought I was going to need a small CF plate but as it turns out, I really
figured that all the brace needs to do is to tie the bottom to the motor mount area so that the frame will not flex apart when the rotor starts to lift the body. What I ended up with is one of the smallest footprints I have ever found in a standard heli mechanics. What I may end up doing is mount all the electronics in the lower chassis and then make up another battery mount like I did for my AS350, only it will be on one side, not both. If I can get a third figure in, it will offset the weight of the battery. I now realise that I may not be able to install all three figures but if so, I can still live with it, as the third one was made up out of leftovers from makeing up the first two.

I took some pictures because I have not seen anyone do this to a frame that was never meant to be used in a scale body and certainly presented some interesting challenges. When viewed from above, it is amazing to see how much of the front is completely open to be used for the cockpit interior. And I thought that the lopping off of the nose of the 600 Pro made up a short frame. Who knew?

Don

Brace in before cutting

Ready to try

Top view from in front

Top view over motor
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:45 AM
cant get right !!!
Joined Sep 2012
321 Posts
wow thats realy alot of room to do a super scale cock pit with screens and all . so what do you have in mind for the cockpit ?
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:23 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,423 Posts
This heli comes from an age where the screens had not become the standard, yet. There will be a TOW sighting system and the TOW scale instrument panel. There will now be room for the seats and most of the front cockpit back wall and I already have the square stock for the supports and for floor detail. I have a number of Defender pictures that in their total, give me the details for the cockpit. The hardest part is going to be the aging process and adding dirt and mud remnants to the corners in floor area. That's what this is all about, lol. Take care.

Don
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:45 AM
cant get right !!!
Joined Sep 2012
321 Posts
hey i dont no if this would go good with your project. not even sure if it was used in that model of an ah6 .all i no is it looks cool. lol it came off ml 21st century little bird 1/6 scale . its about 14 inches across and rocket launchers are about 8 inches long .you are welcome to it if you can use it
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:48 AM
cant get right !!!
Joined Sep 2012
321 Posts
do you plan on cutin doors out
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:16 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,423 Posts
At this point, only the front doors will be removed. There is no glass for them and I did find one picture of a TD with the doors removed. That's a really nice offer but I have the system already in the kit, as noted above, and the rocket kit would actually be a bit too small. Yesterday, I was looking at one of those helicopters that you have, that is hanging up in a hobby shop, and today, I am going to bring the front canopy there for paint matching purposes. The nose of that model will be engulfed by this one, lol. I was surprised at how really small that model is. The measurement of body, door to door, in my body kit, is 9 inches where the weapons rack installs. The M134's would end up being inside the doors, lol. I bought a pair of M134 model kits for this and I am not not so sure I will mount them but you never know. Once again, thanks for the offer.

Don