HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:28 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
Here is the video that my wife shot for me of the hovering around I did at the indoor fly-in. It handled like no other helicopter I have ever flown for the very first time off the build table. The bright green light is the Skookum ultra-bright LED board with a tri-colour LED for indicating signal loss, GPS lock, and operation without GPS. If there was a lock on enough GPS satellites, the LED would have been blue. I may have to make up a mask to reduce the intensity as it is really overpowering in low light situations. Nose-in was solid as a rock. Love this.

Don

Hughes 500MD TOW Defender Hover Test Flight (0 min 0 sec)
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:32 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
Here are a couple of stills shots I did at the track. This is mostly for showing the complete helicopter as the scale details are already covered. I am going to temporarily mount the cracked canopy and lower windscreen with screws so that I can fly it until the rest of the interior makes its way here. This has been quite a ride but a great one.

Don
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:39 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,589 Posts
Somethings wrong with your video, after an hour it's still processing. I sure hope you did not use YT stabilization feature, it's junk.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:55 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
No, it's a large hi-res vid that has three hours left to go. My bandwidth for uploads is terrible even though my downloading speed is nearly like lightning. It was well worth the effort and your help made this one of the more talked about helicopters at the club. What they saw two months ago is not what it is now. There is no doubt that trying to keep the weight of a large scale helicopter down is the wrong way to go. Add weight until you think it may be too much and then you will have it right. I thought at 13 pounds the heli was too heavy but after seening a few of them at 14, they look nice but there is no sense of weight to them when they are on the ground or in the air. The two extra pounds in this one were well worth the extra work to put in the second battery and now the only thing that is getting a bit warm is the motor but that is with zero airflow into the mechanics area from forward flight. It runs at 135degrees or less but when it stops, the temp does shoot right up to the 150's and that was the warning I got last night in the video. When I spooled it up to cool it down to running temps, like I did with the warning going off, the temp dropped down very quickly. The sensor is on the base so it gets a good reading on the heat level inside the motor, not on the exterior housing. I have got to get to the windscreens today so that when the weather gets better in the early week, I'll be ready to head to the club with a car full of large scale birds. Take care.

Don
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:26 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
I've been doing a lot of screwing around today. I started out with the intention of getting the windscreens installed in a temporary fashion but that went to hell in a handbasket fast. I now have the bottom screen in as it should be and the upper one in so that it can be replaced later with the new one that came in a week or so ago. As it was finished, the silver screws just stood out like sores and needed to be painted. Then I started looking at the TOW sight.

Mistake.

It became the next target of my micro drill and miniature screws. Of course, those also had to be painted. At least I know that when time comes to install the good upper windscreen, it will be very easy to do. These are all drilled in by hand on this size as a power drill would go in so fast that accidents would happen to items inside. I will still need to remove a lot of them and cut them off so they are not sticking out so far inside around the windscreens. The panels I put on the TOW sight can act as actual covers one day if I decide to install an actual working camer in that housing. If I get ambitious and do the same with the front glass panel, it will be even more simple to do so. Take care.

Don
Old Mar 03, 2013, 10:25 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
So now I know I have lost it. I made my own panel tape (backorder from hell) and did some detailing that was not on the table to be done. I had to go to an assembly manual to find the number of screws and where they really are located to get this detail done. I also added a tape line on the TOW sight to match up with the screws I put on yesterday. I need to get back to work so I will get a break from this project, lol. Take care.

Don
Last edited by Keyrigger; Mar 03, 2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:49 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,589 Posts
If you make it too pretty you won't want to fly it anymore.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Mar 04, 2013, 11:49 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
Later this week (from Tuesday on) I will get it out and fly the skids off of it. By Saturday they are predicting temps at 5, or maybe more. Love this.

Don
Old Mar 08, 2013, 12:41 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
I'm sure at one time or another, every one of you has had this happen. Tomorrow, I will give my TOW Defender a proper flight and get the maiden flight on its mission bar. The problem with that one flight is that in the back of my mind, there was something that was not right every time I looked at the tail setup. I think one fellow summed it up right by saying he would stare at it, have a rum, stare at it some more, and something might click. It did tonight for me. When I put this together, I was really not fully familiar with the Logo as I had never built it up in the first place so I was unaware of the offset grip arms on the tail. Looking back on it, I fully understand now what it was for and the way I had it set worked against the system, not for it. So over a cup of tea, I stared at it and proclaimed to myself, I've got it, and pulled the tail rotor off and flipped the rotor 180 degrees from bottom to top. There, fixed. Then I looked at the blade direction and mumbled a few curses and pulled it apart again.

The real answer was to forego getting the blade rotating in the scale direction (counterclockwise) and get it so the grip geometry was correct. The offset grip arm is meant to give a neutral tail when the head is spun up so that the movement is equal left and right, over and above the anti-torque setting of the blades. Naturally, I now had to break out the computer, hook up the Skookum just to make sure everything is ok. It was not bad but with the change to the grips, that meant the zero setting and left/right limits needed to be reset. No big deal and even without doing those little tweaks, the helicopter would have flown without binding the servo, but would not have had the new maximum settings it has now. I gained a good amount of throw back to the servo that was lost when I changed to the Align pitch system. Live and learn, or better yes, stare at things for a good while longer before thinking you might have the answer. Here are the pictures so you can visibly see the difference in setup. Take care.

Don
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:51 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
So after all that, it's up in the air and what a rush. The sound is unbelieveable up close and I wished that the fellow was up closer when I was spooling up. Later, I intend to get a pro photographer friend to do some setup shots with me so I can edit together a really nice small movie of it in the air. It's worth the time and effort to get something into the sky that handles this good off the building board. The change at the last second was perfectly timed and I don't know that it would have flown this good with the geometry the way it was. On with the movie and a couple of static shots just for good measure. YES!!!!

Don

500MD TOW Defender Maiden Flight (5 min 58 sec)
Old Mar 09, 2013, 08:12 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Wow! Very very nice.. Great to see it flying outside... Sound is awesome.
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:04 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
Thanks. It was a really nice feeling to get this one unleashed. I'm going for more today and maybe a bit tomorrow, too.

Don
Old Mar 09, 2013, 08:48 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
So sometimes you need to have a near disaster strike in order to find out what is really needed to make an unusual system work together. It's not just a matter of flipping the tail rotor from the right side (usual model side) to the left side (ususal full size side). There can be built-in offsets, angled arms, short links vs. long links, and so many things can come between getting a tail that sits steady when hovering and has equal left and right thrust when doing turns or pirouettes and one that can have your heli in a smoldering pile before you can change your mind. The Logo tail rotor is ideally setup for this on the right side of the boom but when you flip it around, the offset is now in the opposite direction. If you are also changing main rotor direction, it would not really be noticed but keeping it the same brings out the shortcomings of this system when it is reversed. I have so many bits and pieces around here that somewhere in all this junk, there had to be an answer.

It was there in an old Align 450SEV2 head. The swash balls are the same diameter as the balls on the Logo grip arm. I changed the rotor for the Align unit off my EFL Pro and put the link balls from the swashplate on the Pro rotor. Now it gets funny as I put the pitch assembly from the Pro tail together with the pitch links from the Logo tail assembly. Combine that with the Logo pitch arm and a few well placed washers and you have an offset rotor without the offset arms. I'll take some pictures later as it is completely apart and what a mess it is. I hope that the weather holds for a few more hours tomorrow so I can get this out and tested again. Take care.

Don

Pictures of new linkage and rotor group with the pitch slider in the middle of the rotor shaft showing the pitch offset to counteract torque.
Last edited by Keyrigger; Mar 09, 2013 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Added Pictures
Old Mar 10, 2013, 04:49 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Dec 2009
1,077 Posts
Wow very nice looking Heli
Bad Creation is offline Find More Posts by Bad Creation
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:05 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,481 Posts
Thank you.

A few more pictures with Bruce flashing his new unit patch and the tail feathers lighted where you can see them. It was far too windy with gusts approaching 45kmh to put it up for a second flight yesterday, or there would have been some video shot of it. This heli rises directly up with no tendency to float backward and will go straight up if I get the timing right on the cyclic. Since our field is still loaded with snow and ice, I am thinking about bear paws, lol. It really does sink into the icey snow upon landing but it is also really cool to see water running off the skids until it gets into forward flight, just as a full size would. I've lost another day of testing as it is raining cats and dogs from time to time here, but maybe tomorrow I can get more air time with it. Take care.

Don