HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:54 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,442 Posts
Thanks topgearuk. I was going to install the GPS unit in today but a very badly put together 450 tied me up a lot longer than I wanted. I detest people that tell the shop that "Oh, Yes, I've Loctite'd everything" only to have the entire tail pitch assembly fall apart while doing wiring!!! That's what I call just plain ignorant. I will most likely pull the chassis out tomorrow and get at the GPS but with the weather we are getting, I have no idea where or when I can get to calibrating it to the system, sigh. At least, I can paint the tail parts if I get it pulled and I may think about some mods when I have it apart. Small stuff, but it can improve things cosmetically. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:49 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,442 Posts
Small update but a big upgrade. I picked up the GPS yesterday and installed it late st last night. The mount was made from a gyro plate from my destroyed 550EFL and the boom horizontal stabilizer mount from the Logo. In order to finish off the installation, I need to get it outside, away from the cars in our lot (flying field would do nicely if it DIDN'T SNOW last night) and at least I have the laptop ready to go. It is a simple setup that does not take a lot of time to do but must be done as instructed or it will not work. It also looks like I could take another channel (I have lots reamaining) and control the GPS operation separate from the self-levelling feature. I have decided to combine Self-levelling and Altitude-hold and then have Position hold as the second stand-alone feature. There are more like Rescue Now, Rescue Hard Floor, Rescue Soft Floor, and Go Home. It will take a bit of time to go through everything but I have noted that the software does have limitations on how far away tht GPS funtions will work. The 720's self-levelling features will still work beyond where the GPS stops and by the looks of it, Art has been setting this up so that there will be no issues with any Transportation department here or abroad. It has a 300m ceiling and a 500 meter radius. As quoted:

"Limitations
At the present time, no SK-GPS feature will work at more than 500m from its initial location, or above 300 metres. This is for the protection of the public and person-carrying light aircraft."

I can live with that as I still have a bail-out within control distance of the helicopter. I still have not seen the video posted and I am getting a bit worried that it is not done. Funny, when you have video'd your own stuff, it gets posted ASAP but when it is of someone else's stuff, "Ah, I'll get to it sometime". Let's just say, I'm disappointed greatly. Take care.

Don

Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:16 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,442 Posts
Small change thanks to another fellow that pointed out that even though it is a small blockage, the CF plate standing up behind the GPS antenna, can block a signal. A quick cut and a cleanup of the cable ties resulted in this.Take care.

Don

Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:39 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,442 Posts
Since I had the mechanics out, I took a picture of the clearance of the shoulder wall and the floor of the main body. That's close. I also got at a bit of detailing on the main body and have done some weathering and added the wire conduit that goes from the doghouse to the flashing light post. I have no idea what is there besides the light but that is all that post may be in real life. Making those hold down straps was fun. Take care.

Don

Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:52 PM
cant get right !!!
United States, CA, Victorville
Joined Sep 2012
321 Posts
now thats what i call scale !!! good job!!
trucker41 is offline Find More Posts by trucker41
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:24 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,442 Posts
It gets better, lol. Screws enhance the appearance a lot.

Don

Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:16 PM
cant get right !!!
United States, CA, Victorville
Joined Sep 2012
321 Posts
yea they do . i was looking at some small ones the other day here at the lhs . they are pricey for being so little lol
trucker41 is offline Find More Posts by trucker41
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:10 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,442 Posts
Hint: Blade Heli number EFLH2525. 30+ tiny screws in one pack which is a lot cheaper than buying them 5 in a pack for 2 to 5 bucks for railroad type screws. Not that anything is wrong with those, but for most cases, generic ones will do. Take care.

Don
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:59 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,442 Posts
I have had the door handles for the rear doors made for a month or so and since the mechanics are still out, this was the time to grind down the lumps they put on to represent the handles and hinges. I would rather that they leave them off, entirely, and leave the installation up to the modeler or provide non-working scale copies. At least they got that right with the AS350. It came with scale molded-on hinges that are ok, but not as good as the ones I have for it now, but they are a vast improvement over the MD500. It even comes with actual handles, go figure, and they look great. I will give you a reminder picture and then the improved version. Take care.

Don

PS: I do love making this stuff, don't get me wrong.

Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:15 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,442 Posts
It's a scale thing, you know, that gnawing feeling that comes over you when you spot a previously ignored photo that has a tidbit of detail that can be done fairly quickly. Quickly, of course, is only in the eyes of the one doing it, not the guy sitting beside them, lol. I found another spot where I could make up some of those straps to fasten another piece of conduit with screws on the boom. I am now ready for bed and maybe the mechanics will go in tomorrow or not. I'm in no hurry as the weather is crappy up here, sigh. Take care.

Don

Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:07 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,442 Posts
Today, I started to think about things that I should do before really taking this heli off the ground in flight. Hovering with a battery in storage mode is not an indication of the full potential of the heli. Also, I need to calibrate the GPS to the heli and doing that with a full body on it is not really fun. It needs to be done once so I thought to do it when I have a good day with lots of sunshine and some time to head to the club to do it. I could do it outside here but too many distractions can come up to me when I least want them, lol.

Another thing that has not really been done is to fly the heli in chassis mode only with everything on it and ready to install. I weighed the body and it is a bit of a porker at 6 pounds but not really out of line for a 600 body with an interior. I am sure that some Blackhawks weight more than that and no one has issues with them over the weight. So it was time to get it ready to properly test fly the mechanics. Really, flying the chassis with a two blade head and the tail flipped was not going to be enough to make sure of this conversion.

I modified the wood spacers by removing one of the back ones to put the head as parallel to the ground as I can get it, which it is in the body. The balance is now quite a bit different because of all the electronics added behind the main shaft. The removal of the nose also made some difference and I had to make a plate up to move both batteries further forward than they were when in pod and boom form. That was simple enough and it also gave me an indication that my bolts were not long enough in the first place as they were a bit loose showing me that the threads were not into the nylock nut far enough. I have longer screws so that will be addressed when the time comes.

One last mechanical issue came up and this one was indicative of some problems others were having with a four blade head when flipped to be on the left side of the boom. The Logo tail blade grips have arms on them with an offset to the right as you look at it from the hub. This is most likely to change the dynamics of the movement to favour mounting on the left side of the boom. Now, however, once on the right side, the offset reduces correction of the right and enhances it to the left, which is not desirable with the rotation going clockwise. If the main blades were rotating counter-clockwise, it would be great. The question was now how to correct it.

Changing the entire rotor assembly was an option as I have a couple of those floating around. The other was to leave the rotor and see if another linkage could change the movement around. I found that the Align pitch assembly can take the links from the Logo and vice-versa so that was one issue solved. The Align is much larger in diameter and metal, which is a plus but the two have their arms on the tail rotor housing at slightly different heights, and since the bolt was more than long enough (same thread, too), a spacer was placed under the pitch arm and the binding was gone.

So what I have now is a Logo rotor on the Logo tail housing and shaft, with an Align pitch linkage system. I guess if I knocked the one way bearing out of the main gear housing, I would be able to return to normal operation with the Logo parts (could do so in the future) but I think this is not the heli to try and get used to a counter-clockwise rotation head on. Maybe I can try it with my Jet Ranger but the tail would take too much work to change around. Not worth it right now. Oh well.

Don

Here you can see the offset of the arm and the Align parts in place

Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:34 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,442 Posts
This gets better every minute, lol. Just when I think I have it solved, manufacturers pissing contests rear their ugly head here. Align has two different ball sizes for their larger heli's from 500's and on up. They can be 4.78mm for regular duty or for the biggest jobs, 5mm. Mikado had to make sure that they have something OTHER than those sizes so that you must get your spares for specialized components from them. The ball link on the pitch arm was 4.78mm, which apparently is a standard but the one on the slider, well let's just screw everyone up and make that one 4.9mm so they MUST come to us for spares. This came up because I noticed that the arm of the Align is 90 degrees and the Logo is something over 90, causing the Align arm to swing much further to the back vs. the Logo, which will have pretty much equal movement. You would love it if the two arms could just be exchanged but no, Logo will have nothing to do with it. If you use the Logo arm on the Align pitch lever, there is slop, lots of slop. Since the Logo pitch slider is plastic, they have a boss wherer the ball attaches to raise it above the slider body. The Align uses a boss on the ball to do the same thing. Now, in order to use the Align slider to offset the angled grip arms from Logo, a way must be found to raise the ball off the slider and not have a machine screw too long or too short. At least I found two sub-diameter washers that I stacked under the ball with another slightly larger washer from a 450 spindle screw. Now, the slider doesn't bind, the ball is matched to the slider it came with, and the offset of the grip arms is once again, solved. And I thought there was not much to do today. What a clutz I was.

Don

Here is the now corrected linkage for the tail pitch slider and arm
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:48 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,442 Posts
Sometimes in the mad rush to get something done or more usually "oh, right, I'll get to that a bit later", simple jobs get forgotten or worse, left undone because of lack of interest. I was the first example and knew that this should be done but later was not soon coming. The job was finally done this afternoon and it was a simple, yet important job. A capturing plate for the anti-rotation guide. I will say that Mikado made these very strong and it would most likely never spread apart but never is a very long time.

I was originally going to run a simple flat plate up the back and tie it together with Hysol. I had a small piece of aluminium on my desk left over from the Airwolf and that is when it struck me to make it even more simple. Make a cap as there was more than enough room between the top of the guide and the doghouse. If there is no need to, I don't like seeing the doghouse with a guide sticking way up in the air as it really takes away from the looks. My Jet Ranger has the guide cut off and is right below the surface using two pieces of wood to stop any spreading and it has been working perfectly. This is an easy enough modification but drilling those .042" holes is "fun". Take care.

Don

Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:38 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,442 Posts
Not much today but I did do a little improvement to the wiring of the tail lights. I got a good ribbing about the size of the connectors and at the time, they were fine and easy to install. However, even when painted, they really didn't blend in very well at all, so today I bought a pack of micro extensions from E-Flite and the size issue is now sorted. I also put a few more screws into the body to follow the actual pattern on the foot or hand hold (I don't have a clue what it is but I made it as I saw it) on the side of the doghouse. The screw count in getting higher, lol. Take care.

Don

Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:21 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,442 Posts
The long awaited video has arrived on YouTube. I said it was not much but what I LOVED was the sound of the blades spooling up to speed, finally. Nerves? Not many as I was more worried about blowing our weekly night out if the unimaginable happened. I didn't get it out of ground effect and the battery was not charged but in storage mode, lol. Oh well, here it is.

Don

600 Tow Defender (4 min 0 sec)