HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:21 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,448 Posts
I have got at the distressing of the interior and the seat harnesses. I am busting at the seams waiting for those panels to come in from ProHeli. One day. I also got around to finalizing Bruce's equipment and he is now sporting a new helmet, mic, radio, and some night vision goggles for good measure. No pics of him yet and I still need to glue everything in place on the pilot. The anchoring of them in the cockpit can't be done until I get the seats but I am now thinking I will try making them out of plastic tube or rod as has been done on another forum. They look fantastic. That will be a trip out tomorrow to get that rod. Here's the pics.

Don

Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:02 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,448 Posts
It took me the longest time to find a picture confirming what happened to the foot pedal floor extensions that were fairly long in the "C" versions and before. The angled floor wall meant that they needed to put floor extensions for the feet to slip along while operating the pedals. I had a hell of a time finding one single picture of what happened to those on the "D" versions and after but a single shot of a "Little Bird" from the front put it to rest. They are there but very small now and are basically just the round tip. I forgot these earlier.

Don

Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:05 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,448 Posts
I couldn't hold back. I had to try making the seats before I got the ProHeli seats (they are really scale seats for the AS350 but they work in a pinch in the MD500). I bought some plastic tube and got at it. This is as a result of another builder of a 1/4 scale MD500 showing his skill at making the seats for his. He did offer to build me a set and I said that I would wait until the seats came in and/or I tried making them myself and failed. These are partially done but there is a lot of detail left to go on them like support bars, mounting plates, and stiffeners. Let's not even think about the covering yet. Take care.

Don

Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:25 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,448 Posts
The seat frames are now close to being painted and covered. I added some bracing to match the pictures in my picture folder and took an idea from the other fellows seat frame build. I need to leave these dry for a few hours as that glue really dissolves the plastic and keeps it in that state for a number of hours. I made a test with the material that I will be covering it with and even went as far as to poke a hole in it and see what happens as I do need to properly secure the figures into their positions. The funny part of fitting them in was finding that the pilot has a bigger butt and I needed to widen the front frame just a bit so that the seat was not being used to support the weight of him. As it turns out, Bruce fits the seat frame as is, whew, because there is no room to widen it, lol. Onward......

Don

Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:23 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,448 Posts
I took a break from the seats to get one more item built that I was really wondering how I was going to do it. It was not that bad but had me at it for hours. Just need to paint it now. I also took a shot of the cyclic stick difference as it is hard to tell without the pilot holding it. Whew.

Don

Forward facing part of the pedals Pilot's side

Forward facing part of the pedals Weapons Officers side

Side that faces Pilot

Side that faces Weapons Officer

Cyclics
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:52 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,448 Posts
I took that nice little break from the seats and finished off the rudder pedals. I then went back to the now dried seats and this is the outcome.

Don

Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:39 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,448 Posts
Finished the second seat this morning and did a bit of playing around to see how it would look. The picture of the Weapons Officer's seat was done last night but I forgot to post it. I dummied in the pedals for the last shot. I'm a happy camper.

Don

Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:57 AM
cant get right !!!
United States, CA, Victorville
Joined Sep 2012
321 Posts
those seats are perfect !!!!
trucker41 is offline Find More Posts by trucker41
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:21 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,448 Posts
Thanks tucker41. It was time to try to fit both of these guys in with their new upholstery. I guess they will lower themselves a bit when I put a number 6 screw in from the bottom. They are actually sitting on the seats and are not sinking to the seat bench!! I'll fix that a bit later, lol. Because of Bruce's change in helmet and the seat situation, I had to change the position where he is pointing out the enemy (to keep him deaf and blind........ oh I digress) as his helmet ran right up against the canopy and so did the pilot's. I hope that they will sink in about a quarter inch which will be all they need. I am quickly running out of things to do aside from the aging (BIG job) and the instrument panels. There are a few more details to do in the interior and that is why the entire insides are not painted. So many things, so little time. Take care.

Don

Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:54 PM
cant get right !!!
Joined Sep 2012
321 Posts
i saw the new cyclic sticks . are you gona rework the collectives too
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:10 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,448 Posts
Technically, they should be quite a bit larger but at this point, it may be better to leave it alone. The pilots unit will now take a lot of work to redo it and I am not looking so forward to that. From everything I have seen, the sticks should be the same diameter as my new cyclics. Something for the future.

Don
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:24 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,448 Posts
trucker41, I HATE YOU!!!!. No, actually bud, those sticks were just way too small for this install and would have become an eye focal point if I didn't do something now while the chance was the greatest to do it. Thanks for the poke. By the way, one thing I never pointed out was the corrugated material on the Pilot's collective actually works. Since I had it out, I changed the way I had it structured so now it more closely resembles the actual unit. Take care.

Don

These switches were something elso to make. The toggles on the sticks were simple.

Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:00 PM
cant get right !!!
Joined Sep 2012
321 Posts
hahaha !! my side hurts laughing my be hind off . lol well it looks amazing keyrigger . i told you before im living out my scale heli fantacys threw your work so i fell like i got to stay on top of things . lol keep making us look good boss !!!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:08 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,448 Posts
ROFLMAO.

Don
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:44 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,448 Posts
Just a very small update tonight. I got the pedals installed so that I could actually show off the heli at a couple of local shops. I was out today to get some paints or tape so I could mark out the head like its full size counterpart. They are colour coded for assembly and adjustments so nothing like taking a page out of their book. I used the same code as one I found (E model refurbished head) but since this does not rotate counterclockwise, I reversed the order of the coding so that what ever the master blade colour is, the next one is the right one. I could not get over the fact that three shops (and a fourth that is mostly for cars) had no green pinstripe tape!! What's with that??? Oh well, Humbrol, Testors, and Tamiya to the rescue. Take care.

Don

PS: The blades are coded to the grip they are set in and the crew is screwed in place. Not pretty, LOL.