HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:08 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,448 Posts
Build Log
Century MD500 TOW Defender

Hey all. I just pulled the trigger on my next build. It will be a stretched Logo 500 installed in the Century MD500 TOW Defender. I intend to power it with a Scorpion 890kv motor with the currently installed Kontronics Jive ESC. There is also a 20A Western Robotics BEC, all Futaba servos (don't ask as I am a bit lazy to pull the canopy and look, lol, but all digital), Spektrum AR8000 RX with one satellite (could go to the newer AR90200 as it is just sitting around), Spartan DS760 tail gyro, and SK360 2 axis gyro. I spent the better part of an hour in a store devoted to collector dolls and I have some bling already.

I have heard that the TOW Defender has had many variations of armament over the years, including Stinger missiles, Hellfire missiles, .50MG pods, TOW missiles, and the M134 Minigun. With those in mind, I have already got one minigun here and a second I am picking up tomorrow. Now, as to the pilots, that is a bit of a challenge but not as hard as I thought. I have decided that the Holy Grail 160th SOAR pilot is not longer available so I am going back to the mid-90's and equipping it with a DAM Delta Force Ranger Marksman riding shotgun and a Hot Toys version of the 160th SOAR Pilot but with the matching Delta Force uniform.

A couple of pictures may set the scene.

I also just got off the Logo dealer's web site after ordering all that is needed to change my 500 to a 600. I already have the motor and I have three pinions to start with and I am going to go all out and have a low speed head at round 1350 to 1400 rpm with 550mm carbon reinforced glass blades. I ordered the Century 5 blade head and swashplate along with the driver. This could be a very tight fit in respect to the height of the boom compared to the opening for it. The Logo has a very low boom compared to the T-Rex and if I put it in with the chassis flat on the floor, the head is already tilted forward, so this one will not need any differential shimming to get the angle right. It is also a good 3/4" higher where the head mounts, which should help with the placement of all components.

I am pretty sure I will cut the front door off, completely, leaving just the front portion of the hinge in place. The back, well I am not sure at this point. I may remove the rear door to be able to install the flat bed mount for the twin M134's and/or Hellfire/Stinger missiles or, have a removable door and a blanking cover for the TOW Missile armament pod booms when carrying the M134's. I want to have some fun with this and finding the missiles should not be too much of an issue, afterall, I thought I was going to need to build the M134 from scratch. I may have been a good modeler at one point, but my eyes are not what they were 20 years ago when I didn't need reading glasses. Hope this gets rolling soon as I am pumped. I also learned that my seats for my AS350 may come with this order, as it will be coming direct to my distributor. I can only pray. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:52 PM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,591 Posts
Awesome! What size are those figures? I'm still looking for some that will fit my 600 huey build i'm slowly working on.
BigGuyJT is offline Find More Posts by BigGuyJT
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:35 AM
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Aug 2005
811 Posts
That brings memory back to life,almost 10 years ago i did a rc conversion from
21 century toys night stalker n 1/6 scale,looked cool with the opendoor style but waaay to heavy since the fuse was made of hard plastic..

Thats one nice helimember Don,really looks realistic,nice with a new buildingthread!

Cheers
Jack
viggen65 is offline Find More Posts by viggen65
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:47 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,448 Posts
Thanks guys. Those are 1/6th scale figures and I have gone over the size of the body pf the helicopter many times to make sure of it. They will seem crowded but from a number of pictures of the real bird with army uniforms and equipment on, there is little room up front. I have been close to two hours getting the gloves on the hands. Wow, now I see what guys go through to put this stuff together. They are not fully dressed but in the base uniform and the boot laces are a disaster, lol. When they are ready, I will take some pictures of them. The faces are scary real.

Don
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:07 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,448 Posts
Udate:

I have the two figures sort of finalized for install when ever the seats and the helicopter are in the same room at the same time. I am too pooped to take pictures tonight (this morning) but I will do them later. You will get a bit of a surprise when you see the pair. Take care.

Don
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:40 AM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,591 Posts
looks good, can't wait to see them in the cockpit.
BigGuyJT is offline Find More Posts by BigGuyJT
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:22 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,448 Posts
As I promised, here they are.

Don

Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:30 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
Wow - that's scary real.
2 questions -

Is the hair real or painted on?

Are they actually standing on their own?
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:59 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,448 Posts
The hair is painted and yes, they are standing on their own. It surprised the h%ll out of me, too.

Don
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:25 PM
Leopoldsburg, Belgium
Joined Jul 2006
222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
Hey all. I just pulled the trigger on my next build. It will be a stretched Logo 500 installed in the Century MD500 TOW Defender. I intend to power it with a Scorpion 890kv motor with the currently installed Kontronics Jive ESC. There is also a 20A Western Robotics BEC, all Futaba servos (don't ask as I am a bit lazy to pull the canopy and look, lol, but all digital), Spektrum AR8000 RX with one satellite (could go to the newer AR90200 as it is just sitting around), Spartan DS760 tail gyro, and SK360 2 axis gyro. I spent the better part of an hour in a store devoted to collector dolls and I have some bling already.

I have heard that the TOW Defender has had many variations of armament over the years, including Stinger missiles, Hellfire missiles, .50MG pods, TOW missiles, and the M134 Minigun. With those in mind, I have already got one minigun here and a second I am picking up tomorrow. Now, as to the pilots, that is a bit of a challenge but not as hard as I thought. I have decided that the Holy Grail 160th SOAR pilot is not longer available so I am going back to the mid-90's and equipping it with a DAM Delta Force Ranger Marksman riding shotgun and a Hot Toys version of the 160th SOAR Pilot but with the matching Delta Force uniform.

A couple of pictures may set the scene.

I also just got off the Logo dealer's web site after ordering all that is needed to change my 500 to a 600. I already have the motor and I have three pinions to start with and I am going to go all out and have a low speed head at round 1350 to 1400 rpm with 550mm carbon reinforced glass blades. I ordered the Century 5 blade head and swashplate along with the driver. This could be a very tight fit in respect to the height of the boom compared to the opening for it. The Logo has a very low boom compared to the T-Rex and if I put it in with the chassis flat on the floor, the head is already tilted forward, so this one will not need any differential shimming to get the angle right. It is also a good 3/4" higher where the head mounts, which should help with the placement of all components.

I am pretty sure I will cut the front door off, completely, leaving just the front portion of the hinge in place. The back, well I am not sure at this point. I may remove the rear door to be able to install the flat bed mount for the twin M134's and/or Hellfire/Stinger missiles or, have a removable door and a blanking cover for the TOW Missile armament pod booms when carrying the M134's. I want to have some fun with this and finding the missiles should not be too much of an issue, afterall, I thought I was going to need to build the M134 from scratch. I may have been a good modeler at one point, but my eyes are not what they were 20 years ago when I didn't need reading glasses. Hope this gets rolling soon as I am pumped. I also learned that my seats for my AS350 may come with this order, as it will be coming direct to my distributor. I can only pray. Take care.

Don
Wow!

awesome, any indication on the weight and price? Might be an interesting adition to my upcoming Kiowa

cheers,

Didier
didier n is offline Find More Posts by didier n
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:36 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
With the scale heli, a few of those human figures, and maybe a a few additional items, you could use this guys method to create some wicked illusions.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:09 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,448 Posts
Lol, just wait until the heli is built. I may do some pictures like that. My little fleet may come to the rescue for such a photo shoot. I need to buy a new camera, anyway.

Don
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:30 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,448 Posts
Latest update.

I have been a bit busy with getting the Logo 500 converted to a 600. That is now done and going one step further, I changed the motor to the 890kv Scorpion, leaving the Kontronics Jive in place. I spent the better part of four hours doing the main conversion to the 600 and this last conversion of the motor was a better part of three hours, itself. Now, this time around, I will be putting the tail rotor on the right side of the heli and having it rotate the correct direction. I will not be changing the main rotor direction as it is not as important to me to have it turn counterclockwise as it is to get the tail on the correct side. Now, getting the Spartan DS760 changed over was a bit of a bear as they don't make it simple to get any software updates and install them automatically. The intitial install of the USB cable was a bit of a PITA and the main software is not difficult to use but installation is another thing. It doesn't. You need to manually create a shortcut to use it, which is rather sad. Oh well. All that was to reverse direction and reset the endpoints as switching uses the old values and that causes binding in this instance until you reset them. I will see just how effective the tail rotor is going to be in the next couple of days or when ever it gets above 8 C for a few hours in the afternoon. I used a Sullivan cable inside the inner core of one of the pushrod kits, then installed both inside the standard jacket and bound that to the boom with a few cable ties. I also used the origninal carbon fibre pushrod guide as a fixing point for the jacket of the pushrod near the servo. Seems to work fine and is very smooth. No matter what, the system will have enough play so it won't bind. I will make sure to take some pictures of this a bit later this weekend but it is nothing out of the ordinary. Switching the side of the rotor put the pitch linkage on the top, as you would expect, and I may make some wedges and use JB Weld to anchor the tail end of the pushrod so it transitions the pushrod from tight against the boom up to the lever. Got to hit the pillow, so take care.

Don
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:01 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,448 Posts
As promised, pictures.

Don

Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:20 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,448 Posts
When I bought the figures to make up the pilot and passenger, I had to buy three to get two, as the face on the third was not up to par and that guy had the pilot's outfit I needed to get things really rolling. This third figure sat in the box until I got some more helmets that had neat stuff on them so I could hide his face. Since the TOW Defender has a weapon sight that he looks into, I got him outfitted with remanents of all three plus the new night sight goggles and mounted microphone. That was not part of the helmet/sight, but this is modeling, right?

A supplier and I have talked about how different actual models are to full size in how they are presented, like the fact that my AS350 is not really 1/7th scale but something like 1/7.6 scale. It makes it difficult to find pilots and scale detail bits that are properly matched to the model but we take it in stride and make do with what we can find. In this case, the Century 600 size MD500 line is truly 1/6th scale with the exception of the length of the doghouse. The real ones are shorter. That meant that any action figure would be properly scaled for this heli. I have seen many pictures of pilots and passengers in the real helicopters and there is a wide range of space remaining in the seat area. I have seen everything from just a little to no space whatsoever. He explained that it is because no two people are exactly alike and most figures are made to reflect a 6' high male model. There is one fellow that uses female dolls for his pilots for that exact reason as they are easier to install and look a bit different to the usual male figures.

This third figure is a lot shorter than the other two, so this will be one of those cases where the crew will look a bit more realistic than the average sets I have seen. This guy will always be in the WO seat and Bruce will be along for the ride when the M134 and Hellfire missiles are in the bay. I now need to make up a back seat and compartment back for each side and I am fairly sure I will have enough room for it, as the battery looks like it is going to be installed in the original frame space and not to the side of the frame. Here is the WO and a group shot to show the size difference. Take care.

Don

PS: He's a southpaw.