HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:54 PM
Always room for one more!
United States, MI, Midland
Joined Jul 2012
202 Posts
Discussion
Top Flite Metrick

The Metrick is next on the building list and in doing some research on this I see alot of guys are saying to add dihedral to the wing to help it to turn better. I see in the instructions they say to (inboard panels) life one panel 1 1/8" with the other flat on the building board. If I am to incress the dihedral, howmuch?
I also plan to enlarge the rudder abit to help with turning.

Thanks in advanced for any thoughts on this and on building the Metrick

Chris
chawkins is offline Find More Posts by chawkins
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:38 PM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Jan 2012
57 Posts
Plug the dimensions into Curtis's Sailplane Calc spreadsheet.
http://www.tailwindgliders.com/Files.html

I scaled up a TopFlight Wristocrat and inadvertently reinvented the Metrick. I shot for close to a 12 degree EDA and it flies very well.

-Chris (also)
monious is offline Find More Posts by monious
Last edited by monious; Nov 22, 2012 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Added name
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:50 PM
Just Me
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Apr 2006
817 Posts
Subscribed: Just finished a Metrick for my wife to learn to fly with. Still have to balance it out and do some maiden test glides. Had an older kit that someone had started that I got off Ebay.

Good luck with your build Chris and will be interesting following along here.

Don
Brner is offline Find More Posts by Brner
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:58 AM
Chipping Norton, UK
Joined Jul 2006
393 Posts
Learnt to build and fly with a Metrick in about 89, nice flyer and good looking.

Definitely needs more dihedral and the wood used for the trailing edge was way too soft resulting in many fixes. Didn't know better when I was building it. Use modern light gear and it will fly like a feather, servos, battery etc.

Went particulary well off the slope on light wind days.

Yellow and white colour scheme best.

Must dig it out and get it flying again. Will post pic if I can find it.

Enjoy the build.
Graham 65 is offline Find More Posts by Graham 65
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:32 PM
Always room for one more!
United States, MI, Midland
Joined Jul 2012
202 Posts
Graham
Your right on the T.E. wood, to fragile for me, when I get to that point in the build I will look at different options. As for the dihedral I plan to go a little more than double from 1 1/8 to 2 3/4. I came to that as that is what a Sig Riser 2M is and I have always liked that way my Riser handled. I will also visit the fin and rudder. Thinking about elimanting the counter balance rudder to make the tail group look more akin to the Sagitta.
chawkins is offline Find More Posts by chawkins
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:30 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,919 Posts
The Sagitta orignally had a balance rudder too. A bad idea, IMHO.

I just picked up a Metrick at an auction. I'll have to see how much dihedral it has. Was a bit of an impulse purchase, and it's been hidden away since then. I tend to only make impulse purchases when prices are too low, and in this case that was true.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:04 PM
Joined Dec 2001
6,919 Posts
Thought it might be appropriate to have a picture of a Metrick (green and white)in this thread. Note just how little dihedral it has compared to a Sagitta 600 (yellow, blue, and red). I suppose I need to figure out how to fix that. Hate to cut into such nice work. Winglets?? (Ugh!)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:23 PM
Joined Dec 2001
6,919 Posts
If you increase the dihedral the right amount, I don't think you need to add much at all to the fin and rudder. Very approximately, after measuring mine I get a Vv of .021. Allegro Lite has .024. Also, Allegro Lite moment is something like 26 inches or a tiny bit more, Metrick around 25 inches or so. That's pretty close. I suspect it will have significantly better damping than a Sagitta 600.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chawkins View Post
The Metrick is next on the building list and in doing some research on this I see alot of guys are saying to add dihedral to the wing to help it to turn better. I see in the instructions they say to (inboard panels) life one panel 1 1/8" with the other flat on the building board. If I am to incress the dihedral, howmuch?
I also plan to enlarge the rudder abit to help with turning.

Thanks in advanced for any thoughts on this and on building the Metrick

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:32 PM
Just Me
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Apr 2006
817 Posts
Another Green One....

It's actually a little darker green than the first picture shows, more like the second shot taken inside my shop, but here's my wife's Metrick. Waiting for some lead shot and have a couple more details to add.....
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:22 AM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,553 Posts
Mine's green and white, too! I picked up one with a failed wing at a swap meet years ago, haven't gotten around to repairing it yet.
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:36 AM
Geppetto
United States, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2005
139 Posts
Metric

Here's a Metric that I finished earlier this year. The covering is Polyspan with Nitrate base, airbrush/faux with water base paints and a Butyrate clear coal. I nixed the dynamic compensating Rudder and replaced it with an enlarged standard one. Stock dihedral. I don't know the weight but It Fly's great!
Geppetto
1stGeppetto is online now Find More Posts by 1stGeppetto
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:00 AM
United States, FL, Shalimar
Joined Jan 2009
309 Posts
G,

You have skills!

Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stGeppetto View Post
Here's a Metric that I finished earlier this year. The covering is Polyspan with Nitrate base, airbrush/faux with water base paints and a Butyrate clear coal. I nixed the dynamic compensating Rudder and replaced it with an enlarged standard one. Stock dihedral. I don't know the weight but It Fly's great!
Geppetto
jolly01 is offline Find More Posts by jolly01
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:58 AM
Just Me
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Apr 2006
817 Posts
Quote:
Geppetto
Very unusual paint scheme but also very nicely done. I like it....a lot.

If you could give us an AUW on your bird it would be greatly appreciated. The plan says 28-36 oz....I'd really like to take lessons from anyone that can build this to 28oz and still have it hold together in flight....lol
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:57 PM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,356 Posts
Quote:
Geppetto
Geppetto is one of those rare breeds by virtue of his excellent modeling skills, really elevates this hobby to a very high level. He not only is an impeccable builder but his finishes are a piece of art.

Only few ever match the skills of Geppetto. He certainly makes a lot of modelers jealous.

Great work Geppetto!

Kurt
kzimmerm is online now Find More Posts by kzimmerm
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:35 AM
Geppetto
United States, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2005
139 Posts
Kind words Gentlemen, thank you, I am humbled.

Geppetto
1stGeppetto is online now Find More Posts by 1stGeppetto