HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2013, 05:30 PM
Up, Up & hopefully away!!
United States, FL, Volusia County
Joined May 2013
1,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskwatch View Post
I'm just learning to use a Fatshark Predator set up with googles and a 7 inch monitor. I've attached the monitor to the stock Phantom TX and have the goggles perched on my head. (GoPro 3 for a camera.)

This system seems to work ok and the clarity of the image in the monitor is better than I expected -- and quite a bit better than using the goggles.

The drawback is I've got a lot of stuff -- strap, cables, etc. draped around my neck. Using goggles without the monitor attached to the TX is a lot less hassle but definitely not as good in terms of actually flying FPV.

Is there a way to take the goggles out of the system and perhaps attach an external RX to the monitor?
I believe you cable off of this:
http://www.rchover.com/Immersion-RC-...im-uno5800.htm

to your 7" LCD. Then the goggles are not needed.
flboy286 is online now Find More Posts by flboy286
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2013, 05:30 PM
Up, Up & hopefully away!!
United States, FL, Volusia County
Joined May 2013
1,510 Posts
Sweet set-up HGT!
flboy286 is online now Find More Posts by flboy286
Old Jul 13, 2013, 07:04 PM
Joined Apr 2013
14 Posts
Need Advise

Hi guys, I recently crashed my Phantom into a lake. It spent 4 days down 55ft had to hire a diver to recover. After drying it out I fired it up, one ESC started to smoke so I cut the main power to the ESC and unplugged it from the Naza. The Naza software required a advanced cal, the only issue I see from the naza is a low voltage alarm.
- could the alarm be caused by the disconnected ESC?
- could the voltage sensor on the distribution board be faulty?
- tried starting 3 remaining motors, 1 works fine but 2 just surge back and forth about an 1/8th of an inch could this be faulty ESCs or the motors?
- could the low voltage be an internal fault on the Naza?

I've ordered 4 new ESCs & a new distribution board & already have new motors I don't want to take a chance flying iffy parts. I'm hoping the Naza & GPS don't need replacing.
Any advice would be fantastic
Westcoaster is offline Find More Posts by Westcoaster
Old Jul 13, 2013, 07:15 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,309 Posts
What caused the crash into the lake I'd like to learn
branflakes is offline Find More Posts by branflakes
Old Jul 13, 2013, 07:16 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoaster View Post
Hi guys, I recently crashed my Phantom into a lake. It spent 4 days down 55ft had to hire a diver to recover. After drying it out I fired it up, one ESC started to smoke so I cut the main power to the ESC and unplugged it from the Naza. The Naza software required a advanced cal, the only issue I see from the naza is a low voltage alarm.
- could the alarm be caused by the disconnected ESC?
- could the voltage sensor on the distribution board be faulty?
- tried starting 3 remaining motors, 1 works fine but 2 just surge back and forth about an 1/8th of an inch could this be faulty ESCs or the motors?
- could the low voltage be an internal fault on the Naza?

I've ordered 4 new ESCs & a new distribution board & already have new motors I don't want to take a chance flying iffy parts. I'm hoping the Naza & GPS don't need replacing.
Any advice would be fantastic
Fresh water or salt water lake?
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Old Jul 13, 2013, 07:27 PM
Joined Apr 2013
14 Posts
It was a fresh water lake, I was show friends and with the bright sun I couldn't see status lights by the time I realized the battery was low I couldn't get it back in time
Old Jul 13, 2013, 07:32 PM
Joined Apr 2013
14 Posts
Along with the ESC burning up my newly install 8 channel spectrum receiver is now toast. Tried reminding it but a no go.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 08:01 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Jan 2012
1,158 Posts
The shakiness is hard to watch but there's good news. A brand new gimbal, made in China will be shipped as soon as the rain lets up.

Dynasty's Ducks Revisited (1 min 21 sec)
skipper1 is offline Find More Posts by skipper1
Old Jul 13, 2013, 08:03 PM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Ok, 4 great flights today........when the low light red led starts blinking, how much time do I have to land? Wow 8 min. Goes by fast! Also, is there anyone who put lower kv motors and used bigger props on 4s? I know the recommend not to go 4s but I would assume that's on the current motor setup. Lower kv plus longer props on 4s would bring the amps lower and yield more runtime assuming one can get a 4s2200ish lipo in the case.......
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Jul 14, 2013, 01:07 AM
BB1
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined May 2013
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by branflakes View Post
The only way to boost the fpv signal is to buy a higher output vtx...but I'll tell you this, on the plane fpv forums they've taken 200mw out nearly ten miles, its all in the GS. My recommend is get that reception antenna off the fatshark headset and build a proper ground station. Boosting receptivity is the go to above boosting xmission power for ham setups, I just did the booster cuz I was tired of taking apart phantom lol.

Anyone's fatshark setup range can be increased multi fold if we could swap the Omni receiver antenna either for a helical setup or a diversity setup with low and high db directional or cp antennas relative to whatever is being ran on the craft. Boost ground station, get the most for your miles thats for sure
I find a crosshair antenna mounted to my goggles provides me with a far greater video range than the Phantom can fly-- no ground station required. So far I've been out to a little over 2 km and still had perfect video. How much more do you really need with a Phantom??

However using it requires you to hold you head still in the same position for most of the flight. I found it difficult at first, but after you do it a few times you get good at it. While a ground station would be more pleasurable to use, mounting a directional antenna to the goggles is more than good enough and it sure beats having to haul around a bunch of extra tripods, cables, and receiver boxes.
BB1 is offline Find More Posts by BB1
Old Jul 14, 2013, 01:27 AM
BB1
Joined May 2013
124 Posts
Just did a weigh-in after installing the t-motor 2114 in my Phantom....

Before: 999 grams
After: 1029 grams

Sucks that they're heavier than the stock Phantom motors, but supposedly these motors are 8% more efficient than stock.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 01:43 AM
BB1
Joined May 2013
124 Posts
I just had an incident where my GoPro locked up. Prior to buying the Hero3 I had read much advice regarding how you should never use one as your FPV cam for this very reason. My live video may have gone black, but my OSD kept on updating which was more than adequate to safely fly home using. I had never thought about it until today but an OSD is good insurance in case your GoPro locks up.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 03:41 AM
10^27
Joined Jul 2011
36 Posts
Here's some edited down clips from my Phantom for the DJI video contest they're putting on right now. I flew it completely stock, no FPV or Gimbal, just After Effects stabilized. I'm thinking about throwing my 1.2ghz system on it if I can figure out where to put the giant antenna. Bearing are already starting to go too.

DJI Phantom Video Contest - Dreaming In Flight (1 min 14 sec)
hellabytes is offline Find More Posts by hellabytes
Old Jul 14, 2013, 03:46 AM
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Mar 2012
900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB1 View Post
I just had an incident where my GoPro locked up. Prior to buying the Hero3 I had read much advice regarding how you should never use one as your FPV cam for this very reason. My live video may have gone black, but my OSD kept on updating which was more than adequate to safely fly home using. I had never thought about it until today but an OSD is good insurance in case your GoPro locks up.
I would poop pants. Good idea.
Wangta is online now Find More Posts by Wangta
Old Jul 14, 2013, 09:11 AM
Quad Pilot
Joined Jan 2013
1,029 Posts
Hello, as I said some pages back, I had a total GPS error while flying.
Short story:
Zero GPS at all. No green lights even when right stick sets to GPS mode. Naza Assistant displayed GPS NEEDED every where. ATTI mode flew and worked OK,

I verified every failure point: GPS (no cracked), GPS wire (OK continuity signal with tester), Compass, (OK but no calibrating) :shock: I bought a new compass with litle cable (US15.oo in ebay), and figure what, the error was caused by compass grey cable that goes from GPS to compass (1 line was broken in somewhere). Just replaced compass cable and GPS become alive. Advanced calibration and restoring default parameteres were required. Now it is OK, time to flight.
Jumanoc is offline Find More Posts by Jumanoc
RCG Plus Member