HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2013, 04:21 PM
Experienced but not an Expert
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeegeeSwiss View Post
Many thanks for sharing! Have you also checked your compass position, orientation and connections? Do you have everything stock?

You could try to downgrade to 3.12...
Yes, I checked all the connections to the compass and the position of the compass, all check out ok, I also forgot to mention that I checked the IMU compass and GPS readings on the IMU Calibration screen of the assistant, and they were all within normal parameters. I did an advance calibration just for the hell of it even though the assistant said that no calibration was needed.

I'm about to go to a local park and do a test flight, and I'll do another compass calibration there before flight. I'll see if I can get it to repeat the TBE, but don't think I'll try RTH until I get back out to my clubs flying field. I would hate to have this loose control and hit a child playing at the park. So before doing any sort of RTH testing I'll take it to my clubs flying field where there are no kids playing. And even at the local park, I'll wait until it's empty before doing any sort of flying. Safety first, quads and cameras are already getting a bad rep, I don't need to add to it by being on the evening news because I crashed into a playground full of kids.

I'll let you know how my test flight went.
seahawk1984 is offline Find More Posts by seahawk1984
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2013, 04:22 PM
Japan, Fukuoka Prefecture, Fukuoka
Joined Jun 2012
812 Posts
Has anyone used a suitcase with wheels to carry there Phantom in? At the moment I have a steel case but it's way to heavy to carry around places. I am planning a trip to Hiroshima to film and need something with wheels. I can't find a nice case here in Japan with wheels and a handle that can hold the Phantom and more.
I been looking at suitcases which seem may work if I add foam inside. I can find a few cheap and nice ones here but they have extras I would need to rip out for a nice fit.

If anyone is using a small wheeled suitcase post a photo please.
Bravia3D is offline Find More Posts by Bravia3D
Old Jul 11, 2013, 04:47 PM
United States, GA, Macon
Joined Jun 2013
303 Posts
This is what I have. I took it on the plane and was a easy carry. This one does not have wheals though.

Oops. Forgot the link. http://www.atlantahobby.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=17584&idcategory=

This one has wheels. http://www.tradecraftcases.com/

E
edunwody is offline Find More Posts by edunwody
Last edited by edunwody; Jul 11, 2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 04:49 PM
Japan, Fukuoka Prefecture, Fukuoka
Joined Jun 2012
812 Posts
Photo didn't show up edun.
Bravia3D is offline Find More Posts by Bravia3D
Old Jul 11, 2013, 04:53 PM
United States, GA, Macon
Joined Jun 2013
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravia3D View Post
Photo didn't show up edun.
Just updated

Need to figure out how to post a link that actually links
edunwody is offline Find More Posts by edunwody
Old Jul 11, 2013, 05:15 PM
Argentina, CF
Joined Mar 2013
227 Posts
Xray phantom

Hey people, I m travelling right now so its hard to follow everything thats going on.. what I know so far is that I ll keep the firmware to .12 I hope this is not going to be a problem when phantom n2 arrive in a few days. Anyway, Im here to drop 2 things. Thanks to some kind airport custom man I could take a picture of the phantom packed in its original box through the x-rays.. so i made a kind of wallpaper from it that id like to share.

I ll also upload the original picture so people can do what they want with it if so they please, but also to see if someone sees anything odd in it... i mean, i had some crashes with this craft but its working ok. But since not everyday you have your machine xrayed id like to the experts around to take a look. Greetings from los andes!.
nachotrippy is offline Find More Posts by nachotrippy
Old Jul 11, 2013, 05:30 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachotrippy View Post
Hey people, I m travelling right now so its hard to follow everything thats going on.. what I know so far is that I ll keep the firmware to .12 I hope this is not going to be a problem when phantom n2 arrive in a few days. Anyway, Im here to drop 2 things. Thanks to some kind airport custom man I could take a picture of the phantom packed in its original box through the x-rays.. so i made a kind of wallpaper from it that id like to share.

I ll also upload the original picture so people can do what they want with it if so they please, but also to see if someone sees anything odd in it... i mean, i had some crashes with this craft but its working ok. But since not everyday you have your machine xrayed id like to the experts around to take a look. Greetings from los andes!.
awesome! to the layman whatever in is those photos looks dangerous...always respected their ability to see a bomb versus say...a lipo pack and a quad lol
kazkioken is offline Find More Posts by kazkioken
Old Jul 11, 2013, 05:34 PM
Unregulated User
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2013
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnelias View Post
There must have something wrong with my gear. I barely reach 300 mts of range

I'm using FS Attitude 5.8GHz + Spironet antennas + ImmersionRC 600mW transmitter.

Here's my practice spot:

https://www.google.com/maps?ll=-22.8...=h&dg=opt&z=16
Maybe your signal is getting squashed by all the systems right next door at the international airport!
Have you tried an open area elsewhere?
Sac D is offline Find More Posts by Sac D
Old Jul 11, 2013, 05:35 PM
United States, MD, Annapolis
Joined Jun 2013
2,438 Posts
Lost and Damaged DJI Phantom found in PA - Finder has on Ebay

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum but I ran across an Ebay ad where the seller indicated he found the Phantom along a highway and damaged. I was bidding on it and then it dawned on me that someone here may have lost it so here is the ad description:
Up for bid is one DJI Phantom Quadcopter helicopter. This quadcopter does have external damage and does not include a transmitter or battery. I fly RC electric airplanes, no helicopters, so how did I get this quadcopter? The short story; I was driving back from a 4th of July family gathering when I noticed a white object sticking up in the weeds next to the highway. I quickly recognized the shape of a Phantom quadcopter from ads in the RC magazines. I pulled over, walked back and picked it up from the weeds. No water drained out so it must not have been rained on. A quick inspection showed it somehow must have been caught under a vehicle and dragged for a distance and then came loose and slid into the roadside weeds. It had not been run over by tires because it is not squashed, but two props, two brushless motors and the plastic mounts show signs of grinding along the pavement. I would guess the actual location where it came down was somewhere before where I spotted it. The other two props and motors are not damaged and spin freely. One arm is deformed and the landing skids are also bent. No camera was in the mount and the plastic mount appears broken. Since I have RC Lipo battery charging equipment I tried to charge the battery but it would not balance and discharged very fast. I guess it was ruined by over discharging while laying along the roadway. The battery was marked Phantom 2200mah and was 3 cell, I disposed of it. Since this quadcopter was not run over by tires and did not get wet my guess is that the expensive high-tech electronic circuit boards inside are still good. Replacement parts should be available or you could use the electronics to make your own quadcopter. Due to the nature of this equipment, I cannot verify it's operation and I cannot accept any returns or offer any money back. What is shown in the pictures is everything available. PayPal only.

I asked to see pictures of the inside thinking it was gutted and evidently other did as well and the seller complied which shows the NAZA, ESC and other components inside the broken outer shell. The seller emailed me back quickly and seems honest enough. I am not sure of the protocol here and if it was mine that was lost and found I would want to know, so again..apologize if this is in the wrong area. What would you guys do, bid etc? I hope it gets back to the owner. I guess there is no way to know how long ago it was found but there has to be a registered serial number etc..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-PHANTOM-...item35c94ce5fd

Good luck to the original owner..
Waterbound is online now Find More Posts by Waterbound
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2013, 06:02 PM
Ireland
Joined Mar 2013
3,698 Posts
interesting
wonder if it will start up? cause the receiver is still binded ( bound ? ) to orig owners transmitter
plus if you connect the naza to an assistant , the serial should match.
eirlink is online now Find More Posts by eirlink
Last edited by eirlink; Jul 11, 2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 06:05 PM
Experienced but not an Expert
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Just got back from my flight test, and I noticed at start up that one of my motors was not spinning as fast as the others. And I'm thinking that this was the cause of the TBE I was getting. I had crashed into a tree a few days back, and all things looked to be fine physically with the Phantom, and I had flown it with no problems after that crash.

I came back home, opened up the phantom and discovered that one of the ESC's had taken some damage after all. And this is most likely the cause of the slow motor speed. And again, I'm guessing that this is the cause of the TBE, and not the latest firmware update. So, now I'm shopping around to see where I can order a new ESC, I'm hoping that my local hobby store can order one, a lot of places I've checked on the web are out of stock (seems to be the case with most Phantom related parts).

So, looks like the firmware update wasn't my problem after all.

So if some of you have been getting the TBE, one thing you could look at is if any of your ESC's are damaged, or have bad connections. If you have a way of checking your prop speeds, check to see that they all spin at about the same RPM while at idle. I could see with the naked eye that one was not like the others. It was pretty obvious using the white stock blades, I didn't notice it using the black Guapner blades. So check the ESC's closely especially if you have had any type of crash before noticing the TBE.

P.S. Just got off the phone with local Hobby Store, and they said that they should have the ESC's (ordered an extra one) for me in about a week! SWEET! Best news I've had all day.
seahawk1984 is offline Find More Posts by seahawk1984
Old Jul 11, 2013, 06:09 PM
Ireland
Joined Mar 2013
3,698 Posts
Good to know
you done well to suss that out.
eirlink is online now Find More Posts by eirlink
Old Jul 11, 2013, 06:10 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,310 Posts
sac d lmfao
branflakes is offline Find More Posts by branflakes
Old Jul 11, 2013, 06:11 PM
All Thumbs
Japan, Miyagi Prefecture
Joined Aug 2012
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbound View Post
I apologize if this is in the wrong forum but I ran across an Ebay ad where the seller indicated he found the Phantom along a highway and damaged. I was bidding on it and then it dawned on me that someone here may have lost it so here is the ad description:
Up for bid is one DJI Phantom Quadcopter helicopter. This quadcopter does have external damage and does not include a transmitter or battery. I fly RC electric airplanes, no helicopters, so how did I get this quadcopter? The short story; I was driving back from a 4th of July family gathering when I noticed a white object sticking up in the weeds next to the highway. I quickly recognized the shape of a Phantom quadcopter from ads in the RC magazines. I pulled over, walked back and picked it up from the weeds. No water drained out so it must not have been rained on. A quick inspection showed it somehow must have been caught under a vehicle and dragged for a distance and then came loose and slid into the roadside weeds. It had not been run over by tires because it is not squashed, but two props, two brushless motors and the plastic mounts show signs of grinding along the pavement. I would guess the actual location where it came down was somewhere before where I spotted it. The other two props and motors are not damaged and spin freely. One arm is deformed and the landing skids are also bent. No camera was in the mount and the plastic mount appears broken. Since I have RC Lipo battery charging equipment I tried to charge the battery but it would not balance and discharged very fast. I guess it was ruined by over discharging while laying along the roadway. The battery was marked Phantom 2200mah and was 3 cell, I disposed of it. Since this quadcopter was not run over by tires and did not get wet my guess is that the expensive high-tech electronic circuit boards inside are still good. Replacement parts should be available or you could use the electronics to make your own quadcopter. Due to the nature of this equipment, I cannot verify it's operation and I cannot accept any returns or offer any money back. What is shown in the pictures is everything available. PayPal only.

I asked to see pictures of the inside thinking it was gutted and evidently other did as well and the seller complied which shows the NAZA, ESC and other components inside the broken outer shell. The seller emailed me back quickly and seems honest enough. I am not sure of the protocol here and if it was mine that was lost and found I would want to know, so again..apologize if this is in the wrong area. What would you guys do, bid etc? I hope it gets back to the owner. I guess there is no way to know how long ago it was found but there has to be a registered serial number etc..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-PHANTOM-...item35c94ce5fd

Good luck to the original owner..
The guy is selling an obviously lost article he found by the roadside, having knowledge of what it is, without trying to return it to its owner?

Is he going to try and sell it to the owner if the owner shows up?

Something not right here.
FunPilot is offline Find More Posts by FunPilot
Old Jul 11, 2013, 06:24 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawk1984 View Post
Just got back from my flight test, and I noticed at start up that one of my motors was not spinning as fast as the others. And I'm thinking that this was the cause of the TBE I was getting. I had crashed into a tree a few days back, and all things looked to be fine physically with the Phantom, and I had flown it with no problems after that crash.

I came back home, opened up the phantom and discovered that one of the ESC's had taken some damage after all. And this is most likely the cause of the slow motor speed. And again, I'm guessing that this is the cause of the TBE, and not the latest firmware update. So, now I'm shopping around to see where I can order a new ESC, I'm hoping that my local hobby store can order one, a lot of places I've checked on the web are out of stock (seems to be the case with most Phantom related parts).

So, looks like the firmware update wasn't my problem after all.

So if some of you have been getting the TBE, one thing you could look at is if any of your ESC's are damaged, or have bad connections. If you have a way of checking your prop speeds, check to see that they all spin at about the same RPM while at idle. I could see with the naked eye that one was not like the others. It was pretty obvious using the white stock blades, I didn't notice it using the black Guapner blades. So check the ESC's closely especially if you have had any type of crash before noticing the TBE.

P.S. Just got off the phone with local Hobby Store, and they said that they should have the ESC's (ordered an extra one) for me in about a week! SWEET! Best news I've had all day.
Yup... That's all it takes. After my 3rd shell I reinforced the arms with carbon fiber and epoxy. Next time I have it apart I'll post a pic.
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT