HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2013, 01:07 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskwatch View Post
Flyboy... I'm following your FPV trials with great interest -- and flying FPV myself very cautiously, as I am still learning the ropes.

I have two antennas, one 3-lobe, one 4-lobe. I presume they are Blue Beam or similar (the base is blue). Am I correct that the 4 lobe goes on the Phantom/Fatshark TX?
3 on Tx, 4 on Rx.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2013, 01:42 PM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
I don't fly a go pro. Do I need to be wary of local wi fi connections bringing me down? What does the external wi fi mess up? not the TX 2.4 signal right?
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Jul 11, 2013, 02:09 PM
Joined Apr 2011
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flboy286 View Post
I'm no expert, but I'll try

Is the Vtx antenna pointing straight down? And is the goggle antenna pointing up?

I sit in a chair when flying FPV and I fly straight out w/o any obstruction between the antennas.

I looked at your Google Earth image and I don't see any radio towers or such in your area. I have no idea why you're not getting more distance????????
yep, vtx pointing down, vrx point up (when I remember to put my head in the correct direction )

This place does not have much obstacles and cell phones signal is not so good, thus, I'm assuming the sources of interferences are far from there.

I swapped the stock vtx to 600mW with the hope that my range could be increased but, It increased only 50m at most.
rnelias is online now Find More Posts by rnelias
Old Jul 11, 2013, 02:16 PM
Up, Up & hopefully away!!
United States, FL, Volusia County
Joined May 2013
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnelias View Post
yep, vtx pointing down, vrx point up (when I remember to put my head in the correct direction )

This place does not have much obstacles and cell phones signal is not so good, thus, I'm assuming the sources of interferences are far from there.

I swapped the stock vtx to 600mW with the hope that my range could be increased but, It increased only 50m at most.
Is there another wide open area/location that you could try?

I'm using the 250mw Tx.
flboy286 is offline Find More Posts by flboy286
Old Jul 11, 2013, 02:20 PM
Joined May 2013
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Flyboy... I'm following your FPV trials with great interest -- and flying FPV myself very cautiously, as I am still learning the ropes.

I have two antennas, one 3-lobe, one 4-lobe. I presume they are Blue Beam or similar (the base is blue). Am I correct that the 4 lobe goes on the Phantom/Fatshark TX?
Flying in a wide open area w/o any anything to worry about makes flying so much more relaxing. But I still take-off & land w/o the goggles.

And what Flitelab said: 3 lobe on the Vtx & 4 lobe on goggles.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 02:25 PM
Joined May 2013
1,470 Posts
Quote:
There must have something wrong with my gear. I barely reach 300 mts of range

I'm using FS Attitude 5.8GHz + Spironet antennas + ImmersionRC 600mW transmitter.

Here's my practice spot:
You use one Spironet antenna for the Vtx & the other for Rx, but are they on the correct part? In other words, Bluebeam uses two styles, a 3 lobe for the Vtx & a 4 lobe for the goggles/Rx. Do the Spironet antennas have to be used in a similar manner?
Old Jul 11, 2013, 02:33 PM
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Mar 2012
900 Posts
Quote:
Wangta... there is a very ancient and helpful Eastern tradition that goes like this: Once you've raised an objection or made a suggestion three times and it has not been accepted, that is enough. Time to drop it and move on to another idea. I think you're up to about five or six....

also... if you learn the advanced search techniques available with Google, I think you could quickly ferret out all the information you can possibly need. Just a suggestion (which leaves me with two more to go).
Hah, got it. I didn't really think I was raising an objection, more supporting a suggestion? It's tough to determine how much a new idea is accepted via 1-3 posts. How many world-altering people ever changed lives by only voicing their thougths 3 times? Ghandi? MLK? Tupac? I'm trying to be THAT guy - the one yelling the emperor is wearing no pants!

And FYI, I do use advanced search techniques via Google...it still could be improved with a *different* (not better) structure forum heirarchy. But whatevsssss

And FYI 2 - I am from the East...the faaaaaar east...
Wangta is offline Find More Posts by Wangta
Old Jul 11, 2013, 02:33 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jan 2011
517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choopi View Post
If somebody is interested in the Tarot new gimbal, I made a small video review:

Folks, I made a video where I demonstrate how I mount it on my Phantom, easy just drilled through the base in the battery compartment, work good and made for a clean installation. It's tight for clearance for landing gear, I just create more space with some peices of foam on the landing gear. The only thing left is to find the way to plug to the naza and have it working on my Futaba T8J. I also got the power cable that I will use to charge the battery and for my FPV. Out of the box, I'm very impressed! The Phantom is only a 330mm and is very shaky! I flew for a bit on wide 1080 48fps to show a bit of the phantom working! I usually fly on medium or narrow. In summary, totally satisfied!

http://youtu.be/XtT3EF6DCdY
I just received mine..

But I seem to be missing parts.
Also, there is no building manual.

Did yours come with the GoPro connector and the servo cables to connect tilt and roll?
Did yours come with a building/installation manual?

Did you secure the sensor with anything in the housing on the back of the GoPro?

Curious to hear your answer..
Squawk is offline Find More Posts by Squawk
Old Jul 11, 2013, 02:59 PM
Joined Apr 2011
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flboy286 View Post
You use one Spironet antenna for the Vtx & the other for Rx, but are they on the correct part? In other words, Bluebeam uses two styles, a 3 lobe for the Vtx & a 4 lobe for the goggles/Rx. Do the Spironet antennas have to be used in a similar manner?
Yep! But I took some time to figure the antennas were different. By Murphy's law, I started using them swapped of course

But, now, they're correct and the range is still the same (~ 300 mts)

rnelias is online now Find More Posts by rnelias
Last edited by rnelias; Jul 11, 2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 03:12 PM
Joined May 2013
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Yep! But I took some time to figure the antennas were different. By Murphy's law, I started using them swapped of course

But, now, they're correct and the range is still the same (~ 300 mts)
]
Damn, sorry but the only thing I can think of now is to find a different location. Oh wait, that reminds me. I get the best distance via FPV over the dump than when I flew at the ball/soccer fields. There's tall light post, cell tower & trees, but I still got over a 1000 yards

Hopefully someone else may give you a fix
Old Jul 11, 2013, 03:23 PM
Experienced but not an Expert
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
I have an update on the Toilet Bowl Effect and RTH Crash that I had.

I just did a static test here in my Hobby Room (props off of course), and I have concluded that part of the problem was most likely due to pilot error. It's possible that when I tried to take control of the Phantom during the RTH routine I may not have put the Phantom back into Atti mode. I remember seeing the green LED as it passed by my head, and in all the excitement I failed to notice the position of my Manual, Atti, GPS switch. During my static test when I put the Phantom into RTH mode, you can hear the motors spin up in an attempt to go to 20m. I then take control again while in Atti mode, and I gain control of the motors again. You can hear motors spin up and down as I move the sticks. But when I try to take control during RTH while in GPS mode, I have no control of the motors until I switch to Atti, or Manual mode. So as manual states in order to take control from RTH you have to be in Atti (or manual if your set up for manual operation). But if your in GPS while attempting to take control from RTH, I would think that since it's in GPS mode it should lock into the current position (green LED indicates GPS lock) and remain stationary.

So in my situation, while I may have been in GPS lock, the Phantom should not have gone into TBE, and this was a pretty wide TBE.

So what I would like to suggest is this. If you are flying in GPS mode, and you see that you are getting a TBE, it might not be a bad idea to land, unplug and reconnect the battery and go through another start up cycle, and maybe even do another compass calibration. I wouldn't attempt a RTH test if you notice any TBE during GPS flight.

I hope to have the flight video up on YouTube either tonight or tomorrow.

Again, I didn't notice this TBE until updating to the latest Firmware (v3.14), and I have 48 flights with the Phantom now. I'm not saying that v3.14 is bugged, I could have something else wrong that I haven't discovered yet. Just thought I would let you all know about the TBE just in case others start to develop this problem as well with the latest update.
seahawk1984 is offline Find More Posts by seahawk1984
Old Jul 11, 2013, 03:26 PM
Ireland
Joined Mar 2013
2,945 Posts
thanks for the update seahawk
eirlink is offline Find More Posts by eirlink
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2013, 03:44 PM
Skate & fly
Joined Mar 2013
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawk1984 View Post
Again, I didn't notice this TBE until updating to the latest Firmware (v3.14), and I have 48 flights with the Phantom now. I'm not saying that v3.14 is bugged, I could have something else wrong that I haven't discovered yet. Just thought I would let you all know about the TBE just in case others start to develop this problem as well with the latest update.
Many thanks for sharing! Have you also checked your compass position, orientation and connections? Do you have everything stock?

You could try to downgrade to 3.12...
TeegeeSwiss is offline Find More Posts by TeegeeSwiss
Old Jul 11, 2013, 03:45 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
Talked to Atlanta Hobby today and he suggested that I don't upgrade to 3.14 until a update is made. Im assuming that means to stay at 3.12?
Did they say why?
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Old Jul 11, 2013, 04:10 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2013
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawk1984 View Post

Yea I'm now getting TBE after updating to Firmware v3.14, but I just thought it may be due to switching my ESC assemblies to have my marker lights red left, green right configuration. Haven't had time to do a calibration, but I'll do that and see if it still has that problem.
BruceTS is offline Find More Posts by BruceTS